Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I really wish I knew the guy with the trust fund who basically gave 45k to Brad McQuaid to buy coke and hookers....cause I think I could do it better and far cheaper.
Actually, the trust fund guy (lets call him Timmy) was going to give Brad 200k. Which is why Brad took out a 45k advance. Then the dude managing Timmy's trust fund looked at it and said ah hell naw, I'm not gonna let little Timmy give his money to this scam. I think the trust fund manager was the unsung hero in this whole saga, I'm getting a Real Men of Genius vibe from him.

Real Men of Genius

This one goes out to you, Mr. Pantheon Donator Trust Fund Manager:

You spend your days looking at numbers, on paper
pretty boring!
But today, you have Pantheon come across your desk
totally a scam!
You push your pencils, and put a stop to all of this fuckery
not so boring now!
You saved your client 200k and it's not even time for lunch
Mr. Pantheon Donator Trust Fund Manager guy yeah!

Dulldain_sl

shitlord
Brad_sl said:
...This new dev team and how we're approaching it is different... certainly different for an MMO I think. I've learned a lot about remote development in the last 6+ months. It still doesn't beat an office....
Welcome to the year 2000! Hope Y2K wasn't to hard on you! Statements like this and paraphrasing "I didn't even know what Kickstarter was! I wonder if someone on Myspace knows?" just blow me away from someone in the internets business.

This sounds to me like how EMU's are run, some very successfully (for an EMU). Though if this is run even at 1/10 as efficient as EQ1999, SWGEMU, or even some of the Wow emus that implode every few months then I would be surprised.

And again I am sure he will be the sole proprietor and any intellectual property given to him will be his with a vague promise of possible employment/entry into the industry. There is no change of behavior here.

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I didn't think it was possible for this to get any more retarded.

Basically, Brad can't get any professionals to work for him so he's using pantheons gate to make the game.
Who the fuck needs professionals when all they do is soak up more of Brad's salary?

bayr_sl

shitlord
Who the fuck needs professionals when all they do is soak up more of Brad's salary?
Brad is changing the way we look at business altogether. It's the 21st century, things are changing by the second, but this archaic concept of paying people to do work for you still lingers. It's taken a visionary like Brad to realize what a financial burden that is on a business owner. The privilege of being a part of a project as ambitious as Pantheon should be reward enough. And in many cases, if not all cases, those working should be compensating Brad for the honor he does them. This is gonna rock.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ruh roh
dUUYj0h.png

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen restarting with volunteer team | Massively

It's amazing to me that these sites even get enough readership to pay the bills. All they do is regurgitate press releases. This shit has been an obvious scam for at least 2 or 3 weeks now, and they still continue with this shit. I know at least a few people have sent them tips re: Brad's theft.
Whilst the site makes no comment of Brad's fuck up in all of this, the comments soon sort that out. I really can't see how he is going to escape from this and the game is not going to go anywhere with just him and his cult of amateur developers.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I'm trying to get Patrick Klepek on it via tweets, I feel like maybe he wouldn't right a complete bullshit story.
Dunno who that is, but I've used the "tip" function on Massively, Destructoid, Kotaku and at least one other site without any luck. You might be right that twitter is a better idea.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Out if curiosity, what do you guys think Brad should have done with the $45k? By mid February it was quite clear that this shit wasn't gonna fund in any meaningful way. Most of his dev team under performed, and Hell, weren't even actual employees. Should he have divided that $45k up even further, or taken it for himself to possibly reinvest the project at a later date?

He knew this shit was dead in the water. If he split that extra money between the contractors that probably would be the last he would see of it. Either way, he couldn't pay them next month... and they would have left to find other jobs with money Brad probably thought was better in his/Pantheon's pocket.

It's super shitty... but it probably the most logical course of action. Paying that money out would have been flushing it down the toilet.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I think when he saw that all they raised was 147k he should have just refunded everything and called it a day. If he wasn't going to do that he should have paid everyone a fair wage and done his best to produce something decent and find someone to invest in it. Obviously that wouldn't have happened, but at least it would have been honest.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Out if curiosity, what do you guys think Brad should have done with the $45k? By mid February it was quite clear that this shit wasn't gonna fund in any meaningful way. Most of his dev team under performed, and Hell, weren't even actual employees. Should he have divided that $45k up even further, or taken it for himself to possibly reinvest the project at a later date?

He knew this shit was dead in the water. If he split that extra money between the contractors that probably would be the last he would see of it. Either way, he couldn't pay them next month... and they would have left to find other jobs with money Brad probably thought was better in his/Pantheon's pocket.

It's super shitty... but it probably the most logical course of action. Paying that money out would have been flushing it down the toilet.
I think he should have finished the prototype. Instead he paid his own bills. On top of that.. He still owes members of the team $$..

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

It would be logical if he had shut down the project right after. But he didn't ... he's still going forward only with people he doesn't have to pay.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Already sent him a PM...I mean, oh wait...

We're gonna have some beers in KC on the 21st, if you're around let me know. Well make a toast to Brad's success (LOL).
I wish I am in dc now but I'll make sure to get out there to watch the chiefs lose in the fall.

Brad cannot fail he's on the verge of making the next EQ with WoW like success.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They should have agreed beforehand about the money and done at least a written contract about it. Who gets what for how much work, and the amount of work shoud have been agreed upon. Like, you do X concept art pieces and get Y $$ for it.

Has any of these "industry verteran devs" given this whole thing any thought at all? They deserve what they got...