Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm working on getting in touch with him. I thought he had an account here but maybe not.. I'd rather him just post here but I have no reposting shit too.

Lister_sl

shitlord
The only way this thing is ever going to turn in the right direction is if Brad learns what actual work on a game is, and it's pretty obvious that he's only good at claiming responsibility for other people's work. Honestly the best resolution this can possibly have is that Brad's delusion doesn't hurt anyone else. That's all I'm hoping for at this point.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think gaming sites are going to run with the 'took a 3 month advance' on something unless it's something that's attributed more than just hearsay. I get the impression that most gaming sites (and probably the average person who goes to said sites) look at Pantheon as just another failed KS/crowdfunding project so who gives a shit about anything else. Plus in the grand scheme of things, it's really small scale (45k). It's not like 38 studios fiasco or even Vanguard where we're talking millions of dollars. Game sites/blogs (like Kotaku, Massively) run stories based on clicks more than anything else. If they think the story is going to generate clicks they'll put it up. That's why there were a log of blog stories on Pantheon during the KS because it generated a lot of buzz. Once the KS failed, interest died out.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I don't think gaming sites are going to run with the 'took a 3 month advance' on something unless it's something that's attributed more than just hearsay. I get the impression that most gaming sites (and probably the average person who goes to said sites) look at Pantheon as just another failed KS/crowdfunding project so who gives a shit about anything else. Plus in the grand scheme of things, it's really small scale (45k). It's not like 38 studios fiasco or even Vanguard where we're talking millions of dollars. Game sites/blogs (like Kotaku, Massively) run stories based on clicks more than anything else. If they think the story is going to generate clicks they'll put it up. That's why there were a log of blog stories on Pantheon during the KS because it generated a lot of buzz. Once the KS failed, interest died out.
I was agreeing with the post until it occurred to me. Brad McQuaid. His name alone should carry the story for a little while.

imijj_sl

shitlord
It's not hearsay. He admitted to it in an interview and posted it on the Pantheon facebook page (and then deleted it). The reason the gaming sites haven't run with it is that they're just glorified press release aggregators.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I was agreeing with the post until it occurred to me. Brad McQuaid. His name alone should carry the story for a little while.
Yeah, I dunno. People in this community know him well enough, but I have friends who played EQ1 and VG who only have a passing familiarity with his name and really have no idea of anything beyond"I think he was that dev that something something in EQ1, and I guess he did something with VG...". I honestly don't think that the larger gaming community even knows who the fuck he is or cares in the slightest that he took a cash advance from a KS.

I mean, we used to make fun of Utnayan for"taking notes"and using the personal lives of Devs as attack fodder, but to the larger gaming community we often look like Utnayan to them. Most people just aren't interested in arguing with Curt Schilling or having debates about whether or not EQ1 was really "good" with endless"rose colored glasses"derails. And I don't think that those gaming sites are all that interested, either.

imijj_sl

shitlord
Where did you come from, imijj? Are you an ex-Pantheon?
I played EQ back in the day and Project 1999 for a while. I had lurked on this site and its predecessor off and on for years, and followed the Pantheon kickstarter until shit hit the fan and I decided to register. I don't think I qualify as ex-pantheon because I never gave any money. I was definitely going to, but it was such a failure from the start that I never bothered.

imijj_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I dunno. People in this community know him well enough, but I have friends who played EQ1 and VG who only have a passing familiarity with his name and really have no idea of anything beyond"I think he was that dev that something something in EQ1, and I guess he did something with VG...". I honestly don't think that the larger gaming community even knows who the fuck he is or cares in the slightest that he took a cash advance from a KS.

I mean, we used to make fun of Utnayan for"taking notes"and using the personal lives of Devs as attack fodder, but to the larger gaming community we often look like Utnayan to them. Most people just aren't interested in arguing with Curt Schilling or having debates about whether or not EQ1 was really "good" with endless"rose colored glasses"derails. And I don't think that those gaming sites are all that interested, either.
No one knows who that idiot is who took around 50k to make some platformer and never delivered, and it was still all over the place.

Oort_sl

shitlord
So far the best thing about Pantheon has been this thread, keeps me entertained. I think that the story of Brad could be made into a decent indy film. Someone write a script...

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
No one knows who that idiot is who took around 50k to make some platformer and never delivered, and it was still all over the place.
I have no idea what you're even talking about, and I'm not sure I care to either (except maybe as a point to make in a KS debate perhaps). Which is my point, really - it's a mistake to assume 'everyone' knows just because something was 'all over the place', or because you happen to know about it or because it was a big story in a few spots on the internet. This community is particularly bad about it and I am reminded of this on a frequent basis whenever I try to take stuff from here and talk about it to friends IRL. If they don't have a familiarity with the MMOs involved or Brad himself (and a passing familiarity might not cut it) then more likely than not what they hear is"Blah blah blah story about failed Dev blah blah Kickstarter shenanigans blah blah blah". At which point they can dismiss Brad because most people don't follow individual Devs unless they are pertinent to a game that they play (that may come as a shock to a lot of people here) and the concept of KS failures/scams isn't all that rare.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I have no idea what you're even talking about, and I'm not sure I care to either (except maybe as a point to make in a KS debate perhaps). Which is my point, really - it's a mistake to assume 'everyone' knows just because something was 'all over the place', or because you happen to know about it or because it was a big story in a few spots on the internet. This community is particularly bad about it and I am reminded of this on a frequent basis whenever I try to take stuff from here and talk about it to friends IRL. If they don't have a familiarity with the MMOs involved or Brad himself (and a passing familiarity might not cut it) then more likely than not what they hear is"Blah blah blah story about failed Dev blah blah Kickstarter shenanigans blah blah blah". At which point they can dismiss Brad because most people don't follow individual Devs unless they are pertinent to a game that they play (that may come as a shock to a lot of people here) and the concept of KS failures/scams isn't all that rare.
What are you babbling about? I didn't say "everyone knows" anything. Quit moving the goal posts. The question was why these idiot gaming sites aren't covering this, not whether not the general population knows about something. Plenty of gaming sites have covered other instances where smaller scale crowdfunded games have not been delivered. End of story.

I mean, these are the same sites that update their front page everytime some random game adds an item to their cash shop. They cover shit way less relevant than this on a daily basis.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
The question was why these idiot gaming sites aren't covering this, not whether not the general population knows about something. Plenty of gaming sites have covered other instances where smaller scale crowdfunded games have not been delivered. End of story.
You answered your own question. They don't cover it because they aregamingsites, notnewssites. Sure they cover gaming "news" but they aren't going to do any hard hitting investigative journalism like the Washington Post, or have the over the top outrage surrounding news events like FOX News. One reason is because their is no upside for them, since they depend on these game publishers as much as they depend on them. The other reason is what Erronius stated, outside of a handful of people, no one gives a shit.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
What are you babbling about? I didn't say "everyone knows" anything. Quit moving the goal posts. The question was why these idiot gaming sites aren't covering this, not whether not the general population knows about something. Plenty of gaming sites have covered other instances where smaller scale crowdfunded games have not been delivered. End of story.

I mean, these are the same sites that update their front page everytime some random game adds an item to their cash shop. They cover shit way less relevant than this on a daily basis.
You're missing the point. They only run stories that generate clicks, this isn't the NY Times we're talking about here. A KS funded game that in turn does not deliver is a story that will generate clicks. This will not. Take a look around and count how many stories about Pantheon were run once the KS failed. Most people probably wouldn't even consider it stealing since nothing really tangible was done. Let's not kid ourselves, Brad may be a household name to this community but probably not to the gaming public at large. At least not on a level of say Richard Garriott. This is why his worshipers (and Brad himself) are so delusional, they believe him to be a bigger deal than he actually is. He doesn't have the clout of a Garriott, Sid Meir, etc. To the average person who even knows him, he's just a dev who just happens to be associated with a MMORPG that was pretty successful during it's day.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Do you have a link to this? I'm not familiar with the story.

AIMonster_sl

shitlord
You're missing the point. They only run stories that generate clicks, this isn't the NY Times we're talking about here. A KS funded game that in turn does not deliver is a story that will generate clicks. This will not. Take a look around and count how many stories about Pantheon were run once the KS failed. Most people probably wouldn't even consider it stealing since nothing really tangible was done. Let's not kid ourselves, Brad may be a household name to this community but probably not to the gaming public at large. At least not on a level of say Richard Garriott. This is why his worshipers (and Brad himself) are so delusional, they believe him to be a bigger deal than he actually is. He doesn't have the clout of a Garriott, Sid Meir, etc. To the average person who even knows him, he's just a dev who just happens to be associated with a MMORPG that was pretty successful during it's day.
A lot of stories have been run about Pantheon since the KS failed. I think MMORPG.com has run anywhere from 3-5 stories on it alone after it failed; however not a single one pointing out how the funding was used. Massively has too. Game "journalism" at it's finest. It's at least a big deal in the MMO space.