Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Column_sl

shitlord
EQ was first on the scene and hooked everyone first. All the other details just kind of added to the situation
First on the scene for what? Because UO was way before that, and had a HUGE following.

All EQ did was give DikuMuds a skin. Everything was in place for years they just made it 3D.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Oh fucking please. This derail is worse than ktam. Rail on Brad all you want, but start dissing EverQuest mechanics because you feel the impulsive need to pile-on to run along with the herd and I'll start taking it to task.

The mechanics in EverQuest werebetter than any modern morpg. (No, modern games don't deserve the first 'm' in the acronym.) If you want to get into that here, let's dive right the fuck in.

I was a troll SK from the beginning. No one ever gave two fucks about the xp penalty because a good SK made xpfasterthan the penalty offset it in good groups. This board is becoming more retarded by the day and seems to forget where it came from. That design was superior to every modern mechanic because it gave you a real, meaningful, tangible choice. Even if there were flaws,having the meaningful choicewas a superior mechanic than not having any, like in every fucking game now, ala WoW.
tumblr_n3c33qd5Mv1sokp0co1_500.gif

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
First on the scene for what? Because UO was way before that, and had a HUGE following.

All EQ did was give DikuMuds a skin. Everything was in place for years they just made it 3D.
Speaking comparatively to EQ to DAoC? I thought that's what was in question?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I had choice in WoW! I could go marks or survival hunter. Survival was best at the time because you got a huge AGI boost talent, but I think you could still put in enough marks points to get aimed.

pkew pkew pkew

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
How in the fuck is anyone using subs as a basis for an argument in here? Do we really need to bring the 8000 ton gorilla in here?

I do think it's funny that all the arguments from people who liked the emergent gameplay are always spouting off about having a hard group based game. None of the cheats(emergent game play) were found in group settings and benefited the solo player much more than groups. Guess we needed the obligatory, "fuck WoW and it's single player BS" as you white knight 'emergent gameplay' that benefited solo players the most. Let's be honest. Quad kiting made you feel like a bad ass but you didn't do that in groups a lot, right? I sure didn't group when my Bard wiped entire areas of mobs out in a few hours of destroying the leveling game. I enjoyed the fuck out of killing shit I shouldn't be able to as a necro but knew that kind of game couldn't and wouldn't be done again.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQs world, classes, and AD&D feel were a 1000 times better. DAOC was generic as fuck. It's the same Rift vs WOW argument of today.
Good point, so the question is how do you create what is theoretically a 'clone' of EQ without it feeling generic?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Are members of this forum actually 'tattling' about this shit to gaming news sites?

Fucking loser(s).

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That an article or a Stranger Than Fiction style narration of this thread?

But I do love when a great journalist ends an article with a condemning slam dunk or raises a greater question about the topic at hand:

Frenzic offered his services, which would include getting his hand on the build itself and shooting his own footage.
Fascinating information for the reader(s?) of Crowdfund Insider, who I'm sure are clamoring to figure out who the fuck Brad or Frenzic even are. Unless Frenzic is huge in the Crowdfund Insider crowd, then boy will I look silly. Woah, dudes, did you hear Frenzic is offering to help BRAD FUCKING MCQUAD polish up some raw footage of his new mmo?!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Are members of this forum actually 'tattling' about this shit to gaming news sites?

Fucking loser(s).
No way, man, those news sites are just hopping on the wildfire bandwagon. It's not at all like the articles are practically copy/pasted from the emails these journalists got!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Like when they revealed what stats actually did and it turned out dex didn't go anything for monks even though it was their primary stat and most of their gear was based on it

Why do people miss this shit?
Several people commented that the derail my post caused was "terrible", or whatever. I just wanted to clarify that the reason I mentioned that XP thing was that it was indicative of how SOE treated the players, and that was primarily because of Brad's vision. Or at least, that was the line given by the company. Specific mechanics aside, Brad's vision was almost entirely diametrically opposed to the actual gameplay that emerged from EQ's mechanics, in nearly every respect. He didn't even understand his own game.

And people think that a new game designed by him is going to be a throwback to how EQ eventually turned out? Come the fuck on. And that's not even getting in to the derision and contempt that the developers of EQ, led by McQuaid, felt towards the players, which was the main point I was touching on. It was a HUGE DEAL to give players some more granular feedback on experience progress, because in the days of 640x480 and counting pixels, no one had a fucking clue what was truly going on with XP in later levels. Shit, it took them forever to even acknowledge "hell levels" in vanilla/Kunark EQ.

As far as etchazz's stupid posts go, no, I didn't hate EQ. I had a lot of fun playing it for a few years. But a lot of that fun was entirely in spite of McQuaid and other's efforts and vision for the game. Expecting him to repeat it, especially in light of the failure that VG turned out to be, is asinine.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
"Brad admits that it was a mistake and wishes things worked out differently but the money is spent and there isn't anything he can do. He then went on to express that he was sorry for how it happened and is planning on liquidating personal assets to put the funds back into the project."
rolleyes.png

Above everything, and not defending McQuaid here at all, you should see the rest of this industry and how they mishandle funds. There should be a story on TESO, SWTOR, and most definitely, Randy Pitchford at Gearbox. That fucking guy should be in jail for Christ sake.