Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
yes this is true only in town and in dungeons, can you be with other players but you don't have to be grouped with players to see them in dungeons. but moving across the map you move an icon to where you want to go and then zone in there.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Damn, Ceder's and Quaid's derail was the most entertaining part of this thread for the past 10 or so pages.

It is now my pejorative to return these prerogative feelings back to this thread in order to ameliorate the impact to my pleasurable reading. I hope this attempt alleviates these feelings and we can enjoin to derail a dead thread once again. Takers?

No matter what Garriott's game is purely defined by...it will still be worth playing and is moving forward with truly noticeable progress.

Greyform

Dungeons are shared (public)? Like EQ?
some are, the Kobold mine in the main town is. All kinds of folks running around there. they are adding more. some are instanced I have not seen anyone else in them, the clink for example is the town jail I have not seen anyone in there, but that's not to say I am for sure no one else could have zoned in. When I was there no one else was. But the Kobold mine is full of people. So in my experience they have more than one type of dungeon. full instance and shared world zone.

The real old school part is no quest icons, you actually have to go up to NPC's and ask "can I help?" if they have a quest it will start a dialog that you need to follow and ask the right questions to continue the dialog. There are enough hints that they're not impossible to find, some NPC's will point you to different ones. Some you'll find in zones that you would not think to ask but it's worth asking.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If that's the case then where does it really differ from a traditional MMO then? Is it simply that the "overworld map" serves as an interface to travel between instances/rooms/etc as opposed to many MMOs where the "overworld" is actually comprised of multiple outdoor zones? If so that would remind me of fast traveling in some games but then again I don't think that would necessarily mean that it isn't an MMO if certain zones/dungeons aren't privately instanced.

Greyform

That's what I was asking as well. The towns are full of houses and people. And at least some dungeons are shared zones. I was in the mountains killing spiders (yes spiders) and ran into another person there so once you zone into overworld areas you're in a shared zone. So I do not see how it isn't an MMO

Quaid

Trump's Staff
That's what I was asking as well. The towns are full of houses and people. And at least some dungeons are shared zones. I was in the mountains killing spiders (yes spiders) and ran into another person there so once you zone into overworld areas you're in a shared zone. So I do not see how it isn't an MMO
Well then it's probably just Dumar

Ceder_sl

shitlord
This is from the faq:
FAQ | Shroud of the Avatar

Will this be an MMO?

Shroud of the Avatar is a new form of multiplayer online role playing game we are calling a Selective Multiplayer Game. This will allow players to choose how they want to play. Play options will include solo offline, solo online, friends only online, or open multiplayer online. For players who play in the default open multiplayer, Shroud of the Avatar will feel very much like a traditional MMO. However, Shroud of the Avatar also includes a full solo player story crafted by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman, best known for his best selling Dragon Lance series of books.

Are offline characters and online characters separate?

For Episode 1, offline characters are completely separate from online characters. Offline characters can never migrate to the online space. Offline and online characters on the same account cannot share any content.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Well if anyone is qualified to determine if SotA is an MMO, it's Garriott. So SMG it is I guess.

I see that offline and online play will be permanently seperate, but I am wondering if the soloonlineplayer, will be able to ever enter the open multiplayeronlineversion. This could pose some problems in a PvP game. Leveling, and equipping solo, and migrating to multi with maxed skills and weapons.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
What the fuck doessolo onlineeven mean? If that mode and all those others are wholly and completely walled off from open multiplayer, then we may have ourselves another legit MMO. Otherwise, it may be a good to great game, but not a true successor to Ultima Online.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The only things I'd want an MMO for anymore is good PVP and world building. I can't really think of many games (possibly any games) where I thought that the PVP was worthwhile and actual worldbuilding on the scale I'd want seems to be well beyond current capabilities and that might never change. Even in MMOs where PVP isn't a battleground or arena, the PVP is rarely part of the gameworld itself and seems to exist in some parallel design schema that doesn't mesh well or at all with the PVE design. I have zero desire to fight for points, honor, tokens, keeps or RVR locations, rank...EVE might be the closest to what I'd like but EVE has a lot of issues that I think prevent players from getting into that part of the game.
i'd actually like to try a MMO like this. i've never really been interested in PvP, but that's mainly because it's always been so bland in MMO's. if it was actually an integral part of the game, and not just some battleground or capture the flag bullshit, it would probably be really enjoyable.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The only things I'd want an MMO for anymore is good PVP and world building. I can't really think of many games (possibly any games) where I thought that the PVP was worthwhile and actual worldbuilding on the scale I'd want seems to be well beyond current capabilities and that might never change. Even in MMOs where PVP isn't a battleground or arena, the PVP is rarely part of the gameworld itself and seems to exist in some parallel design schema that doesn't mesh well or at all with the PVE design. I have zero desire to fight for points, honor, tokens, keeps or RVR locations, rank...EVE might be the closest to what I'd like but EVE has a lot of issues that I think prevent players from getting into that part of the game.
i'd actually like to try a MMO like this. i've never really been interested in PvP, but that's mainly because it's always been so bland in MMO's. if it was actually an integral part of the game, and not just some battleground or capture the flag bullshit, it would probably be really enjoyable.

iannis

Musty Nester
Keeps and RVR aren't the best implementation, but they were the best so far. And you could make the case that considering the context of Everquest and the tech they were working with/building they did a fairly good job.

Something Eve-like that isn't crazy fucking boring and somehow manages to avoid the one zerg to rule them all // offtime city ganks which that other pvp game (I can't even remember the name of it anymore... the one where you built towns and shit) very quickly and predictably degenerated into. It doesn't have to be elfs and orcs. God, it'd be better if it wasn't.

Eve does SOMETHING to stop that from happening. It's not just a happy accidental side effect of being boring. I think it's just an actual logistics game they've got going on. Supply lines matter. In most pvp games (maybe even all except for eve) they just don't. Which is kinda what DAoC was aiming for but missed the mark on with keeps/rvr. But I was never big into eve -- it just seems that way.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The Wormholes in EVE needed to be fleshed out and made into a land aspect in an MMO for PVP.

You need to have a voxel based MMO that generates new landscapes/environments as you travel further. It only allows so many "tiles" away from a population center or something to prevent people from just roaming forever. It generates a road so that people can follow it and scout around for enemies to kill.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Keeps and RVR aren't the best implementation, but they were the best so far. And you could make the case that considering the context of Everquest and the tech they were working with/building they did a fairly good job.

Something Eve-like that isn't crazy fucking boring and somehow manages to avoid the one zerg to rule them all // offtime city ganks which that other pvp game (I can't even remember the name of it anymore... the one where you built towns and shit) very quickly and predictably degenerated into. It doesn't have to be elfs and orcs. God, it'd be better if it wasn't.

Eve does SOMETHING to stop that from happening. It's not just a happy accidental side effect of being boring. I think it's just an actual logistics game they've got going on. Supply lines matter. In most pvp games (maybe even all except for eve) they just don't. Which is kinda what DAoC was aiming for but missed the mark on with keeps/rvr. But I was never big into eve -- it just seems that way.
Permadeath in PVP is the only real answer.

The trick is to make Permadeath bearable.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
https://www.facebook.com/pantheonrot...type=1&theater

Did you hear that we were letting you guys, the players, choose the final race for the initial starting races for Pantheon? Now is your chance to vote! We have extended the deadline to 2:00 pm Pacific Time on Tuesday (July 15) to cast your vote. What will the final race be? Vote here!
so basically you can choose a race as long as its sold by the unity store?