Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Quaid

Trump's Staff
When it comes down to it, I'm not advocating full instanced dungeons. I much prefer the thought of dynamic dungeons like Convo suggested.

I just think spawn camping is primitive, unimaginitive, and boring gameplay that has no place in 2014. Talk about 'immersion breaking'... Wtf is immersive about waiting on a timer for your prey to 'respawn'?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Personally, I think you should do away with levels and manage character progression with another metric. Story line, gear, achievements, zone progression, world progression. Make your "level" mean that you consumed the most content. Or soemthing.
You want a game with lots of customization, that's also leveless. EQN is doing exactly what you are suggesting, Pantheon won't have a tenth of the resources that EQN will have for their game so if Brad & Co. try to make a leveless game for theorycrafters they're fucked.

Same issue I had with Quaid - you're telling them to make a game that will directly compete with an already existing, or soon to exist AAA title by a large company with massively more resources.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Tad instancing is not the only thing that makes WoW, WoW. Utilizing that technology doesn't make an MMO a WoW clone. Stop being absurd.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Uh, it's definitely one of the key defining aspects. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. It's basically instancing, quest-grinding, and flawlessly smooth combat as the three largest defining aspects.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I want to highlight as was pointed out earlier, instancing only came about because in a game with 3K people online, you cold have 3% occupying all the high end spots. It was a way to make content available and cut down on both unhappy customers for all the reasons Quaid mentioned and CS costs to mediate all the fights, KSing, ninja-looting, and training that occurred.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Uh, it's definitely one of the key defining aspects. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. It's basically instancing, quest-grinding, and flawlessly smooth combat as the three largest defining aspects.
WoW has a lot of systems in place that contribute to the WoW style. Instancing is one of them, yes, but I certainly wouldn't limit that list to 3.

-dual factions
-centralized auction house
-quest hub system
-fast travel
-'quick boots of the eagle' loot system
-limited death penalty
-instancing
-dungeon finder tools
-quick out of combat regen
-low graphical demands
-raid force caps
-high soloability

...could go on and on

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I'm with Tad/Merlin/Muligan and others on just getting so sick of instancing over the years that I'll gladly take the negatives that come with having no instancing. I want this game (or some other eventually) to focus on the world matters over everything. The world is the game to me.

Instancing destroys the world feeling for me , nothing it does positively trumps this for me.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You want a game with lots of customization, that's also leveless. EQN is doing exactly what you are suggesting, Pantheon won't have a tenth of the resources that EQN will have for their game so if Brad & Co. try to make a leveless game for theorycrafters they're fucked.

Same issue I had with Quaid - you're telling them to make a game that will directly compete with an already existing, or soon to exist AAA title by a large company with massively more resources.
A lot of customization? I want a decent class system that gives the player interesting choices to make while the character progresses. That doesn't take a lot of monumental resources. Lacking levels only takes some imagination and good game design. Sticking with levels is just boring. It doesn't require additional resources, just good developers. It's just measurement of a different metric.

So you want to create a game that directly competes with a few private emulated EQ servers? You make no sense. Brad said he wants to make a modern game. All you are advocating for is EQ with prettier graphics.

Use your imagination.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
@lithose great post. How do you feel about contested raids?
Sorry, I missed this.

I actually agree with Draegen--it depends on how you make your game. Are mobs meant to be a kind of measuring stick in and of themselves? Or are they more like fancy, interactive resource nodes, where the challenge isn't about killing them, so much as it is about controlling their spawn area and farming them. That leads to another question, are your mobs complex, and heavily scripted, or are they relatively simple and the bulk of the difficulty comes from perpetration/long term strategy and not discreet player skill? (Some would argue this means gear vs skill, but I feel that's myopic).--which would answer how much content you can produce. These and a lot of other questions, I think, would all have a bearing on it.

I think, on the whole, instancing was done in an effort to reduce time investment and therefor increase accessibility. But it spawned it's own set of problems--one of them, ironically, being that it made the game less accessible by requiring "encounter skill" (APM ect) to be the "resource" by which content was slowed down, until they had to literally add an "easy mode" switch. As I said earlier though, without instancing and without precise control over numbers, the players were able to set an "easy mode" for themselves, at a trade off of more "time" difficulty (Larger raid force). Before the WoW easy mode, did we, as a genre, believe it was easier to get moreskillthan it was to get moretime? If you gave Soccer Mom Casual the choice between working another hour on something, or learning how to stop keyboard turning and memorizing patterns of fire on the floor--what do you think would be easier for her? Instancing answers that with skill, but was that the right answer? Maybe the problem was tackled at the wrong level, what if the fundamental design of the game should have been changed instead?

I'm not saying instancing is bad BUT, I think, if I were to design a game, I'd go back and seriously look at the other options that were never iterated upon to deal with the problems a server like P99/old EQ faces. That's actually what I really like about EQN, actually. SoE is trying to look at it from a different perspective, from the ground up, they want to see if they can tackle the problem of "time vs content" in a way that is fundementally different from simply offering the player content in a different format (IE instancing, easy mode, hard mode, skill bottle necked vs time bottle necked, exploration vs encounters, social vs tactical difficulties)--in order to stretch it out.

I think any game that's going to be a "good" game, really needs to go back, and examine that in the same way. Not just reject instancing out of hand, but go and ask why it was used, and maybe, how different systems could be used to fix those problems (And even ask...Did those problems need to be fixed to the degree they were? Maybe a lesser alternative was more appropriate--or COULD be more appropriate if the fundamentals of the game were different--again, like EQN is doing, changing the fundamentals.)

Anyway, a long way to say a lot of nothing, I know. But the truth is, it's enormously complex, and the overall game design has to plug into that answer for it to make sense. Which is why I always say, it's not fair to judge the failures of some games off of one component not working, if they didn't build the game from the ground up to accommodate it, then they didn't give that component/system a real chance. Instancing was a solution to a game that was built like Ever quest. But does the game even HAVE to be built like EQ? I think that question of perspective isn't one tackled by a lot of designers. (Well, until recently.)

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Did you ever play EQOA Draegan? Had a cool class progression system that culminated in a Master Class with a corresponding weapon (of which each race class combo had 4 possibilities). You made a small decision every 10 levels based on quest and achievement, giving you skills and a stat increase.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
A lot of customization? I want a decent class system that gives the player interesting choices to make while the character progresses. That doesn't take a lot of monumental resources. Lacking levels only takes some imagination and good game design. Sticking with levels is just boring. It doesn't require additional resources, just good developers. It's just measurement of a different metric.

So you want to create a game that directly competes with a few private emulated EQ servers? You make no sense. Brad said he wants to make a modern game. All you are advocating for is EQ with prettier graphics.

Use your imagination.
IF brad can pull it off great, but name one "modern title" without levels that has good group mechanics.. actually name one "modern" game with good group mechanics... If you can have no levels and have a great grouping game, awesome and sign me up but sticking to what worked since D&D ( safe ) and focusing on group mechanics is what i want... Should be interesting what choices are made by Brad and Co, but I really want to here that group dynamics is a focus and priority 1 when considering classes, content, etc etc etc... if that means some thing stay "old school" I am cool with that.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Brad said he wants to make a modern game. All you are advocating for is EQ with prettier graphics.

Use your imagination.
And if Brad had a million dollar budget I'm sure he could come up with something that would redefine the entire genre. But he has already stated he is creating a niche game for the ol' school crowd. Now he won't become a millionaire doing it (actually he might), but 500k subs is very possible. And a consistent 500k subs is a very good living. I don't know if he still owns a Ferrari, but if he nails this game, he can definitely start shopping for one again.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I seriously challenge the notion that the camp/pull days were 'fun'.

I never found it fun sitting at the Velk's zoneline for 2+ hours waiting for a group. Nor did I find it fun feeling like once I did get a good group, that I couldn't leave for 3-4 hours because I may not get another decent xp opportunity that day. It certainly wasn't awesome sitting in the same spot for hours on end, not being able to afk for half an hour to eat with my family...

The only really fun thing about the EQ dungeon experience was the tension that sometimes arose when another group was nearby, and the smack talk in /ooc when a rival guild group was in zone...
It sounds to me like it wasn't fun having shitty friends or groups.

I can't remember ever camping a zone line, because camping zone lines was lame, boring and not fun, so I didn't do it. Sometimes we'd kill stuff at zone while bored and waiting for the rest of the group to finally get there, but that was only until we could venture deeper. Sometimes I'd hang out at zone-lines train busting or talking or more often laughing as the corpses I dragged from deep in the zone just got trained by some noob as they were trying to get ressed. Zone-line interaction was a key social aspect of EQ and something I think is important, but camping zone-lines with a group? That was bottom of the barrel stuff and not really the standard of what non-instanced dungeons can offer.

I can't remember ever being in a group that I couldn't go afk for 30 minutes if I needed. Maybe I was just lucky, or almost exclusively grouped with friends/guildies and they weren't a-holes, I dunno. If it seemed like someone was there to just afk leech exp, sure, we'd boot them, but if they were in the group and just needed some time, no problem. That seems like a group/guild/friend problem, not one of system mechanics.

I can't remember ever being afraid to leave a group because I may not get another chance that day. Sure, it happened, but afraid? Damn. I guess I played a rogue too long so was just used to going off and entertaining myself if there wasn't a group. By mid levels it wasn't usually an issue, and by high levels we did what we could to make sure everyone in the guild had a group, even if it mean having to split up two groups to make three mini groups.

The pros to non-instanced dungeons and world is highly dependent on social networks, and I suppose that's the hang up. Some people would rather run a McDungeon for an hour where they don't have to really talk or interact or do anything other than turn on LFG dungeon finder. I will admit it's easier if you don't have a lot of time. It also means those groups that would continue in EQ and turn into friendships didn't happen. Usually after the quick one-and-done dungeon run in instanced games everyone would bail to turn in quests and if you were back at square 1 if you wanted to keep grouping. That's not a positive thing to me.

I liked Vanguard. Group based, but plenty of tools to get groups going and continuing. I remember groups where I'd be the only member left from the original group, but we'd be in the same dungeon or the group would have moved, but never fully disbanded. Hell, a few times, hours after forming, members who had to leave would log back in and re-join their original group. All because good dungeons spots weren't impossible to get to and healers could summon people to the group, which is a good thing and the balance between easy, linear instanced one-and-done dungeon runs and EQ where it was sometimes simply too time consuming even getting to the spot you wanted to be in a dungeon.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Popsicle... Dude... You have the reading comprehension of a potato.

Nowhere in that post did I mention zoneline camping. Also, I played a healer. Going afk for half an hour was not an option. I suppose you were a dps caster?

Edit: nvm, rogue. Makes sense.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Tad instancing is not the only thing that makes WoW, WoW. Utilizing that technology doesn't make an MMO a WoW clone. Stop being absurd.
While I know EQ had instancing about the same time as WoW (LDoN) and the psychospace game with the horrible launch had instancing in 2001, WoW is the game most associated with instancing because in addition to instanced dungeons it introduced quest hubs that usually had a connection with the local instanced dungeon and complex mechanics in the instance (was great fun the first time I got trapped with rats in Stratholme).

As you've pointed out non-instance dungeons have issues including: overcrowding, training, and camping 15 hours for a rare drop and that drop not happening. I would still, like Dahkoht/Mulligan/Laura/Merlin/Etc, prefer the non-instanced dungeons.

That's because re-running through scripted events gets increasingly boring and instanced dungeons generally trade away overall dungeon complexity for flashy encounter mechanics. So I'd rather have the big winding dungeon than the trapped with a rat mechanic and I'd rather hang out chatting when not pulling then rush-rush through a dungeon to roll on that one drop I need from the 2nd to final boss.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Did you ever play EQOA Draegan? Had a cool class progression system that culminated in a Master Class with a corresponding weapon (of which each race class combo had 4 possibilities). You made a small decision every 10 levels based on quest and achievement, giving you skills and a stat increase.
No I didn't. My current favorite dream character class system would either be something like Path of Exile (I love that system). Or something combining LOL/DOTA/RIFT and POE. Essentially your character starts off with a basic "map" of points (smaller POE map). Then you earn via epic quests, drops, whatever content consumption method different classes or modules like in MOBAs. Then you take those classes and put them into your basic Map that adds in different constellation of abilities. Collect them all and piece them together.

Then you just have to figure out how you give the player points to map through your web or whatever you want to call it.

That's what I would do if I were making a game. Then as the game ages you can spend short bursts of dev time creating new classes ala LOL that players can earn and add into their collection.

There are tons of interesting things you can do with that kind of system. It woudl take some serious planning to work it out initially.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
IF brad can pull it off great, but name one "modern title" without levels that has good group mechanics.. actually name one "modern" game with good group mechanics... If you can have no levels and have a great grouping game, awesome and sign me up but sticking to what worked since D&D ( safe ) and focusing on group mechanics is what i want... Should be interesting what choices are made by Brad and Co, but I really want to here that group dynamics is a focus and priority 1 when considering classes, content, etc etc etc... if that means some thing stay "old school" I am cool with that.
The only modern game that has come out in the last 6 years is GW2. The rest are old tired iterations of the same thing (WOW). You could easily of taken out levels in that game and plot character progression based on map completion in some fashion. GW2 was a step in the right direction in a lot of things in my opinion, world crafting, exploration, combat systems. But it was a giant step back in group content and class interaction.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
And if Brad had a million dollar budget I'm sure he could come up with something that would redefine the entire genre. But he has already stated he is creating a niche game for the ol' school crowd. Now he won't become a millionaire doing it (actually he might), but 500k subs is very possible. And a consistent 500k subs is a very good living. I don't know if he still owns a Ferrari, but if he nails this game, he can definitely start shopping for one again.
I'm pretty sure Brad isn't going to jump in and make a game based on old ideas and just put a new skin on things. Giving someone millions of dollars doesn't help you with ideas. Just look at TESO.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

Use your imagination.
Levels continue to be used in MMOs because they work. Probably EQN's worst idea was getting rid of levels. -_-

Levels allow players to
-Feel a sense of progression
-Easily identify others who are in an appropriate range to group with
-Easily identify mobs they can/can't tangle with.

No other type of progression option does these three things as well as levels. None. Zip. Zero. Indeed that's why you get shit like iLevels for gear, because levels make it easy for a designer to crap out gear.

If you don't use levels you have to get stupid and assign values to gear, abilities, etc and at the end of the day you just come up with a flatter leveling system (EQN's 5 tiers) that is really just a cheesy way of compressing what should be 50 levels into 5, so watch out for a ton of undercons when playing that game as a High-5 (level 50 equivalent) mob is going to beat the crap out of a Low-5 (Level 41 equivalent) player.

It's not about using your imagination it's about knowing what works and what doesn't and not trying to re-invent the wheel, when the wheel works just fucking fine.

Also Brad is not making a modern EQ - from the quest comment it sounds much more like a modern VG. I certainly hope he can bring a little bit more than that to the table (like the oft repeated request for mounted combat) but even if I'm totally wrong, and it is just a modern EQ with updated graphics and new lore, that still beats the Hell out of emu servers with their assorted GM/Administrator issues.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I love that response to issues with groups in uninstanced dungeons...

'Just play with friends!'

I don't know about you, but even in real life I have like 2-5 people who I am close with at any given time. It is the same online. I'm not chatting it up with some cadre of bros on the regular. It's rare that I even have enough 'friends' online at the same time to form a reliable group. And given EQ's HUNDREDS of hours to reach max level, and then HUNDREDS of hours gearing out your character, it's just not realistic for me to group with friends even most of the time.