Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

delirium_sl

shitlord
@ Erronius- Lets suspend the disbelief of Pantheon becoming more than vaporware atm and pretend Brad is not blowing smoke up our asses. Recently Brad posted on the Pantheon forums the basic layout of the Vision for this game. To a great extent, yes it is a rehash of what we all have been through with countless MMOs. OTOH, Brad sounds like they are going in a slightly different route on somethings.

For example, you mention you would like a game that isn't so Raid-centric. But more focused on group dungeon crawls-
"We're going to have huge dungeons, but places where it's safe to log off for the evening, so you can continue deeper the next day with your friends..."
"We're probably going to have fewer levels, but introduce the idea of a tier, where to level up it takes more than experience, but also accomplishing various tasks, so you can't just sit there and power level all day in one spot -- you'll need to explore, travel, and *play* the game...."

http://https://www.pantheonrotf.com/...volving-vision

Quotes of what Brad said in his posts point to the game being more group/dungeon focused. Now this could be taken many different ways true, but if you look at VG, it had tons and tons of dungeons at all levels. More so than Raid content. Infact, when VG launched, there wasn't any raid content to speak of. It was added later. In the end though, in a game where there is a level cap, you have to give the players a reason to keep playing, so in came the raid content and/or level cap increases.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd just as soon see MMOs move away from the Raid-centric design altogether and focus on group/dungeon crap instead. It's kind of odd that one of the reasons I'd be tempted to try SotA in the first place is that I can't stand raid grind asshattery anymore. And before anyone says"just play with your friends and ignore the raids", there are a slew of issues with this from'less group content due to manpower being allocated elsewhere'to'many MMOs aren't designing group content as endgame or to be sustainable, they're designing that stuff to be transitory as people progress and they're terribad when you want purposely avoid raiding'and a fuckton of other shit in between.
While not perfect, FFXIV is a great example of a game that can be played completely in a group setting. I've never raided and have good gear and had a ton of fun. The content is challenging even to the groups. Bit grindy to get the best stuff, but it held my attention for several months and just as I run out of content, here is a new patch!

I completely agree about just plopping mobs in zones and expecting it to sustain population. What we need and what these developers need to realize is: The original Everquest, the original Ultima Online... These games were designed with paper Dungeons and Dragons fans in mind. Simple in design and harsh by fault, but they attracted that old D&D gamer. I was roughly 13 when I started UO and 14 when I started EQ, but the people I talked to in game were sometimes much older. No I don't think a game like this would capture the youth of America, but they could capture the same type of audience that Everquest once did. Dorky, smelly 30+ year old D&D players. If the game was done right and hit the classic immersion feels, I think it could sustain a couple hundred thousand players, which contrary to popular opinion, is plenty to run an MMO on. This is all moot of course cause Brad is running the ship, but I do think it's possible for this style of game to be made and succeed.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jesus Mother Mary... I just read this quote from Kyndread. I didn't realize they had changed what the colors meant. Apparently Purple is donated 1000+ everything else is the same. So now we can look at colors and if you see purple, it means holy shit lunatic... This might have been the way it always was, I just never realized what it took to get purple lol.

Ok, so the best way to explain is this, if you donate $1000, either all at once, *or* choose a sub with payments over time that equals or exceeds $1000, *or* through smaller random donations whenever you can that eventually reach the $1000 level, then you become purple (VIP). As far as any special restricted pledge levels go, my advice is don't choose that level. Those are created for people who want to make special payment arrangements and are tailored to that person. Hope that helps
smile.png
Edit- Looked at the first 100 members that showed up registered on their site. 8 of them were purple. Yikes no wonder Brad is off riding his bikes, dude making bank. Maybe I'll go through and find how many purples there are. We all know the site numbers were wrong from the get go.

Edit2- It started to go downhill as I went on. I guess the members were a bit top loaded. First 500 registered, 16 purple. Back to work Brad.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Lol, I caused a divorce because of EQ when I was 17? Her husband caught her talking to me on the phone, checked her emails etc, and left her. Never fucked her tho.

But I have fucked three WoW chicks. One was a 6?, one a solid bisexual 7.5, and I broke up an engagement by fucking a really solid 8.5-9 in her fiance's bed / house and telling him about it. That one was the best, he thought I was lying until I told him about the inside of his house and all the places in it I wore her out. Last time I talked to him, he said he had burned her stuff and was selling his house because of it. He was a douche, so some of that was out of spite. Lol

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
@ Erronius- Lets suspend the disbelief of Pantheon becoming more than vaporware atm and pretend Brad is not blowing smoke up our asses. Recently Brad posted on the Pantheon forums the basic layout of the Vision for this game. To a great extent, yes it is a rehash of what we all have been through with countless MMOs. OTOH, Brad sounds like they are going in a slightly different route on somethings.

For example, you mention you would like a game that isn't so Raid-centric. But more focused on group dungeon crawls-
"We're going to have huge dungeons, but places where it's safe to log off for the evening, so you can continue deeper the next day with your friends..."
"We're probably going to have fewer levels, but introduce the idea of a tier, where to level up it takes more than experience, but also accomplishing various tasks, so you can't just sit there and power level all day in one spot -- you'll need to explore, travel, and *play* the game...."

http://https://www.pantheonrotf.com/...volving-vision

Quotes of what Brad said in his posts point to the game being more group/dungeon focused. Now this could be taken many different ways true, but if you look at VG, it had tons and tons of dungeons at all levels. More so than Raid content. Infact, when VG launched, there wasn't any raid content to speak of. It was added later. In the end though, in a game where there is a level cap, you have to give the players a reason to keep playing, so in came the raid content and/or level cap increases.
It sounds good on the surface, but I honestly don't know if I'd put any stock into it. There's a big difference between talking as if you're going to create some amazing group-centric system and actually doing that. I could create a fuckton of dungeons, eschew raiding and it could still not be anything beyond slapping some NPC spawns in some zones with loot tables and calling it a day.

Like with D&D, I wouldn't mind running through a dungeon once or maybe doing it every few years, but with MMOs you end up doing the same shit over and over ad naueseum (or skipping those or doing them once). So if you have a Dev add in the Temple of Elemental Evil...I mean great...but if it's always the same exact dungeon with the same mobs and loot...I just don't see that as being any fun whatsoever. To me it seems like many MMOs tried creating a broad enough spectrum of content that people wouldn't get burned out to quickly, but levels stratified content and people would end up grinding something in the end regardless. No levels might help, but then other factors (loot, accessibility, etc) might be what determines if you endlessly grind a dungeon or not.

When I say I want a system, I really don't mean just going with the standard NPC/dungeon paradigm and calling it a day. I want groups and dungeons but I want overarching game design to not only encourage people to group up for common goals but I also want Devs to address issues like static zones and make player interactions with the environment possible. Kinda like Storybricks I guess you could say. I think the idea of dungeoncrawling is great, but I think that's a short-sighted view. I want to see dungeoncrawling with dynamic dungeons and NPC populations that react to players (short and long termed) but that's just the tip of the iceberg IMHO.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wow I guess if you're having 3 zones with 2 character classes who have 5 abilities each, and you only have 4 different NPCs that you scale to different sizes (Tiny Bat, Medium Bat, Bat, Giant Bat, Monstrous Bat, etc) and stats, then sure I can see 12 months. You won't really have anything to do other than to level to max level - 10 - and do either of the two quests in game; the collect Bat Wings quest for Berry Wine that's completely useless, or collect Bear Asses from Bears (but not Tiny, Medium, Giant, or Monstrous Bears - just "Bears") for leather gear worse than the single set you can buy from the single vendor for currency you can gain in less than 20 minutes from the Bears.

Tol_sl

shitlord
So what you're saying is that they'll hold onto their nasty skeletons and fuzztrolls until they really want to impress us?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Multisync is back. I don't know what he or she does, but I'm pretty sure Frenzic liked him or something? This could turn it around for Vantheon.