Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The problem is they'll ultimately be judged on something they've not proven they're even starting to do. They post updates on their progress and those updates are basically just screenshots of Unity assets. They post art and it's something several people I know could have come up with in a few hours, and looks like they're still aligning themselves with pre-designed, store-bought assets.

And then the best defense of their efforts is that they're going away from the unit assets and replacing those with their own assets? That's even worse, because it shows they're still missing the big picture.

Why couldn't they use store bought tools and assets to create one rough zone, perfect mechanics, hone design, prove they can produce animations, demonstrate the tech they're employing and/or building.

Hell, how do we know that 'art' is even original? They've not only bought pre-designed assets from the Unity store, but have a track record for showing art that was created for a different project entirely.

Their updates are precisely what a con man would present, and until they show us anything differently than a smoke screen and the vague assembling of other people's work, why should we give them any credit?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The problem is they'll ultimately be judged on something they've not proven they're even starting to do. They post updates on their progress and those updates are basically just screenshots of Unity assets. They post art and it's something several people I know could have come up with in a few hours, and looks like they're still aligning themselves with pre-designed, store-bought assets.

And then the best defense of their efforts is that they're going away from the unit assets and replacing those with their own assets? That's even worse, because it shows they're still missing the big picture.

Why couldn't they use store bought tools and assets to create one rough zone, perfect mechanics, hone design, prove they can produce animations, demonstrate the tech they're employing and/or building.

Hell, how do we know that 'art' is even original? They've not only bought pre-designed assets from the Unity store, but have a track record for showing art that was created for a different project entirely.

Their updates are precisely what a con man would present, and until they show us anything differently than a smoke screen and the vague assembling of other people's work, why should we give them any credit?
I agree, i have had many of the same thoughts. I think that's their current plan, they were talking about have an alpha/limited demo towards the last quarter of the year. I will keep hoping that they can pull this off, because, quite frankly most of the other games i have been following or looking at are shit. I am tired of giving DBG and Blizzard my money because their competitors can't come up with a good alternative that will lure me away from the tired games i still play.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Is the Pantheon team made up of out of work game devs in between jobs ? ( not dissing that at all ) just curious, names that i see associated with this project now are coming from the industry... anyone know ?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If you don't see an improvement in this project over the past year I'm not sure what to say. There has definitely been one. It might not have met your expectations yet, but that doesn't change the fact that positive progress has been made. Yea..the bar was pretty fucking low but it's exceeded my expectations in the last 4 months. I think we will know a lot more in the next 3-6months and be able to make a real judgement. So wait is almost over.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Was going back through updates to see if I missed anything. Re-watching the video. Just since there isn't anything else meaningful to discuss, I'll rip it all over again.

25 second spoken intro with nothing but a logo. Amateur shit.

Several minutes rambling on about taking a pre-built engine and adding textures and re-coding some lighting to make it look better, blah blah blah 2 fucking minutes talking about texture overlap.

Oh, and talking about using Unity assets to help create a visual reference of the world, which has helped make creating the fundamental systems easier. But they don't talk about those fundamental systems. They don't explain how having pre-bought assets and making a visual reference of the world has helped them create fundamental systems..... the fundamental systems they only reference as a segue to continuing to talk about using pre-existing assets and how great it is.

All to basically go back to talking about the easiest thing to talk about since it takes the least work, least know-how, least man-hours and all you have to do is have a few people willing to ramble about shit that would be cool: THE LORE.

Ah, but they're also making their own assets now.... hence the fucking rocks they made.

But, Brad has stated he's learned from his mistakes, which is why they seem to be focused heavily on creating a unique world, not creating and refining the systems, code and mechanics to get a prototype of the game to actually work.

If I wanted to pretend I was making a video game or try to scam a bunch of idiots, this is literally exactly how I would approach it.... but probably more competently as they can't even produce updates that seem like they're working on something at a decent pace. Which makes me think it's even worse, that they are working on something, just haven't gotten anything meaningful done.

It's a shame some well-meaning, naive people have probably ended up in over their head caught up in this sham.

If this ever sees the light of day and is playable and worth a shit to more than a few nutcases in too deep to do anything but defend the project like a cult then I'll circumcise myself with a wooden spoon.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
If you don't see an improvement in this project over the past year I'm not sure what to say. There has definitely been one. It might not have met your expectations yet, but that doesn't change the fact that positive progress has been made. Yea..the bar was pretty fucking low but it's exceeded my expectations in the last 4 months. I think we will know a lot more in the next 3-6months and be able to make a real judgement. So wait is almost over.
Everyone I know that is generally smart and reasonable has one little thing in any given area of their life they turn to blithering retards. For me, regarding television, it was Ghost Whisperer, a show I watched and loved for years and even teared up a few times. For you, my friend, it's this.

It's not your fault, Convo.

No, really, it's not your fault.

Convo, really, it's not your fault.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone I know that is generally smart and reasonable has one little thing in any given area of their life they turn to blithering retards. For me, regarding television, it was Ghost Whisperer, a show I watched and loved for years and even teared up a few times. For you, my friend, it's this.

Hah. Get that wooden spoon ready!?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

rrr_img_99897.jpg

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Yes, good call on timing. I am willing to bet by november we have some real idea of what this is and if/when we may see something. I have to imagine they are going to seek funding somewhere with a playable alpha build. Is Daybreak a publisher ? LOL

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Is the Pantheon team made up of out of work game devs in between jobs ? ( not dissing that at all ) just curious, names that i see associated with this project now are coming from the industry... anyone know ?
Eh, was gonna respond but I don't want to pick on anyone. Have to remember the people working on the project are people, probably mean well, have a lot of hope, individual talents, great personalities, etc. So, I'll just continue being critical of the project and business practices and how professional and shitty it all seems. That seems more fair.

That said, what we do know is the previous team that did have very tangible experience in the industry, for better or worse, on recognizable projects, all left with sour grapes feeling ripped off and even those without jobs couldn't distance themselves quicker from the project.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, was gonna respond but I don't want to pick on anyone. Have to remember the people working on the project are people, probably mean well, have a lot of hope, individual talents, great personalities, etc. So, I'll just continue being critical of the project and business practices and how professional and shitty it all seems. That seems more fair.

That said, what we do know is the previous team that did have very tangible experience in the industry, for better or worse, on recognizable projects, all left with sour grapes feeling ripped off and even those without jobs couldn't distance themselves quicker from the project.
To be fair.. They certainly haven't earned our blind optimism. I understand that point. I'm just trying to be fair when they do something I approve of and will respond positively. I enjoyed the art and don't see the criticism being warranted here. /shrug. Just my opinion.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Convo wanted me to share this private message (I think?!?!)

You're a bad girl

And about to get trolled by Brad. Easy tiger. Shit is about to get real. You out this and I'm not getting you in alpha!
Guess no alpha for me. Not fair to send me a private message with no substance and then dare me not to 'out' the zero information you provided
frown.png

Oh no, I'm probably going to have to circumcise myself with a wooden spoon because Brad and the industry as a whole have such a great track record producing high quality MMORPGS!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hah I was just trolling your bitchness. I knew you would be a bitch. I don't know much but it's not hard to see a growing staff and project as they post about it.

Sevens

Log Wizard

As stated by the team, their plan is to have a fully playable area (several zones) that span from levels 1-10. There will one class from each archtype ( Healer, tank, Melee Dps and not sure if caster dps or caster cc).
This is what they are working on atm...the updates have been fewer as they said at the first of the year.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Hah I was just trolling your bitchness. I knew you would be a bitch. I don't know much but it's not hard to see a growing staff and project as they post about it.
I know, that's why I was being intentionally dramatic about it and instantly posting it on the forums. After all, nobody can really give much shits about something that doesn't exist, right?

Lots of projects do things. Lots of projects fail, too.

They HAD a professional staff with actual experience, and fucked it up. Since, they've added people, and their bios list experience, but I know a lot of people that can list things on their resumes or bio, that doesn't mean they're even good at them, have ever been successful at them, or will be.

Sure, it doesn't mean they haven't, but again, from the beginning the way to shut up the doubters was to actually provide some proof of concept, show any measurable progress, show something at all tangible. Which they haven't done. And when they try, it has the opposite effect; it doesn't impress or shut people up, but make us laugh at what little has been created that they're claiming we should take stock of and get our hopes up.

Most of their work is intangible work, theory work, they post some art (that in the past wasn't even made for the project specifically) and two paragraphs of 'lore' and people are supposed to come around and really see all they've done? They post a video that shows environmental stills, talk about very basic shit that any developers has to do with an engine, and again talk about lore and intentions and we're supposed to get back on board?

They had their chance to wow us with their ideas, and did, for like 3 days. They blew that, so trying to wow anyone with more ideas and intentions is foolish, shows bad business acumen and questionable... everything.

Especially when this project is STILL mirroring the mistakes of Vanguard on several levels!

In short, I still love you Convo, you my dawg.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
As stated by the team, their plan is to have a fully playable area (several zones) that span from levels 1-10. There will one class from each archtype ( Healer, tank, Melee Dps and not sure if caster dps or caster cc).
This is what they are working on atm...the updates have been fewer as they said at the first of the year.
Yeah, and Ut is also developing a game and plans to have have things at some point. And that hot girl from the club plans on calling you. And your boss promises you'll get a raise. At some point you either don't keep your hopes up, move on, or simply resign yourself to being a chump for continuing to believe it.