Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Bruman

Golden Squire
"It's more than a prototype, with 10 full playable levels," said McQuaid. "It's a significant milestone. We still have a small world, but it's fun to play in. We'll make it a bigger world over time."
A pre-alpha test will likely happen this year, with a formal beta testing happening sometime next year. The company will likely need another round of funding to complete the full game.
insert ron-paul-its-happening.gif here

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
When Brad puts out his Dark Souls inspired MMORPG and you nerds are too prideful to play me, Convo and Soygen will be in clan <Dollar Pledge Club> rolling and parrying our way to epic loot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
When Brad puts out his Dark Souls inspired MMORPG and you nerds are too prideful to play me, Convo and Soygen will be in clan <Dollar Pledge Club> rolling and parrying our way to epic loot.
I'll at least give the game its free month if it releases. I've done it with most recent MMOs.

But I don't think a metric of "We released the game" is the proper metric for "success".

Success is releasing the game, and then maintaining an active subscription base of, say, 150k users for 2-3 years, imho.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really don't know if they are referring to the first round or an additional round of funding in that article.

Hodj- I never said anything about them showing a video. I did say beta was by end of year. That's their plan.

Cinge- some of the programs used for the game. maya, zbrush, substance designer, substance painter, photoshop, mesh lab, world machine. Think there are more, I've seen them working in mud as well. During the streams

Sevens

Log Wizard
I'll at least give the game its free month if it releases. I've done it with most recent MMOs.

But I don't think a metric of "We released the game" is the proper metric for "success".

Success is releasing the game, and then maintaining an active subscription base of, say, 150k users for 2-3 years, imho.
Actually Brad has stated that 30-50k subs would be fantastic and able to maintain the game with the very small team they have

Tenks

Really don't know if they are referring to the first round or an additional round of funding in that article.

Hodj- I never said anything about them showing a video. I did say beta was by end of year. That's their plan.
It read like the first round of funding to me

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
iN36S2c.jpg
Are you my God?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Actually Brad has stated that 30-50k subs would be fantastic and able to maintain the game with the very small team they have
30-50k subs would not be a successful MMO that has an impact on the genre in any significant way.

It might make their money back, but it won't influence future MMO design, or help bring new life into the genre, or revive the type of MMO gameplay that people like Dumar have pined for for ages on this forum, etc.

Tenks

I don't know if Brad is necessarily concerned about writing the next chapter of MMOs. It seems he just believes there is a viable market of people who desire to play an old-school inspired MMO and she's set out to do just that. Not every game that comes out needs to be a revolution. I'm sure he'll market it as such but thats just buzzwords he's required to throw out to generate hype.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need a high level of polish and fun to draw in some big numbers and even then, there are no guarantees. It's just cant be a giant Dick punch. I like the ideas, especially some of the class interdependence stuff that used to exist in games. You can never really tell what will become fun for the younger crowd. Playing a more challenging mmo could be the cool thing to do or just drop people into the Weirdo category. I'm guessing they are tracking website hits so they have an idea of interest out there.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
30-50k subs would not be a successful MMO that has an impact on the genre in any significant way.

It might make their money back, but it won't influence future MMO design, or help bring new life into the genre, or revive the type of MMO gameplay that people like Dumar have pined for for ages on this forum, etc.
That few subs might keep the doors open in a support mode for a while, but they won't be able to push out new content at anything more than a snail's pace which would probably cause them to lose subs like most new games.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Though I will never stop making fun of this shit pile I do hope it releases so we can put to bed once and for all if the hard core MMO market actually still exists.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That few subs might keep the doors open in a support mode for a while, but they won't be able to push out new content at anything more than a snail's pace which would probably cause them to lose subs like most new games.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Before costs, 50k subs at 15 dollars a month X 12 months is 9 million a year.

I don't think they could even afford to keep the lights on and the team together at that type of income.

Really need like 100k subs to survive, especially in California or Texas where most game development takes place.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Before costs, 50k subs at 15 dollars a month X 12 months is 9 million a year.

I don't think they could even afford to keep the lights on and the team together at that type of income.

Really need like 100k subs to survive, especially in California or Texas where most game development takes place.
Right now they are working remotely, if they have a staff of 20-25 people(which is the plan,) it's doable but 100k is a much safer number.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Though I will never stop making fun of this shit pile I do hope it releases so we can put to bed once and for all if the hard core MMO market actually still exists.
Won't do shit. "It was just poor execution" is all you'll hear even if someone literally gave us EQ3 by reskinning EQ1.

MMOs drop off at one month and 3 months. Nothing will change that. Too many other games out there.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where do you think the numbers need to be? To consider the idea of old school, successful?