Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What do you guys feel about a spell/ability system where you have a fixed number of slots, so even if you know 100 spells, you can only mem a few at a time. Or, do you prefer the 'as long as I have mana' I can cast what I want?
I always preferred EQ's limited "load out" in that regard.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What do you guys feel about a spell/ability system where you have a fixed number of slots, so even if you know 100 spells, you can only mem a few at a time. Or, do you prefer the 'as long as I have mana' I can cast what I want?
I prefer having to make a choice, I am tired of having 100 different hot keys. 12 seems about right to me.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
I dream of a world with seasons with weather, and with local climates that affect quality and yield of resources. With full real-time days, months and years.

I suspect I may have to keep dreaming of this for a bit...
smile.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Large pool with limited number of slots for active spells is my preference for sure.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the "idea" of a limited action set of abilities, as far as building a deck and defining your character. There just has to be an inordinate amount of skills to make that pay off, including some pretty mundane ones that work well in a group. The issue is balancing which players in the group are forced to slot the mundane ones because the group needs it
smile.png

But in the end, I prefer interesting resource management, and letting me decide how and when to use the skills I want.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I like the idea of a limited set of spells for sure added to a system of resource management (mana). Like I said above however I really DON'T like being trapped in a system where every class has 8 spells at once and maybe 4 of those spells are required to be of a certain type (say im a wizard and I need 4 DD spells to maintain a rotation, thus locking me down to only 4 real choices). I really enjoyed EQ's hybrid system. Having a class that has the limited 8 spell gems along with a separate set of use anytime skills. Balance the skills accordingly, putting most utility in the spells and IMO thats a solid system requiring the player to make meaningful choices before combat, while allowing some development space for differentiating classes.

An example could be create a Warrior class with a strong set of use anytime abilities, and maybe less 'spell gems' or utility skills. Opposed to that could be the Cleric who gets a ton of specialized 'spell gems' and only a few of the use anytime abilities.

Just some ideas I've been tossing around, but creating meaningful limitations while avoiding homogenizing classes is important to me.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
^ Exactly what Flobee said.

8 to 12 "spell gem" limited load out like EQ, with use anytime abilities. Allows more utility without skill bloat and skill macro bullshit like Rift.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'll throw a contrarian vote out there. I liked my priest in WoW having a wide variety of utility spells that I rarely used, but when I did use them it was awesome. Whether it was levitate or stoneform being able to pop that off on the fly was wonderful. Then again I'm one of those people who didn't mind having 60 keybindings for just my abilities and spells.

I never liked having only a few of my spells available in EQ (On my bard) because switching between them all the time was a hassle. It adds a level of depth to prepare some spells before combat but it just seemed to be hassle.

The limited spells one had in GW2 was fine, but I played an elementalist and had a much wider variety of spells to choose from because of attunement.

Overall, give me a wide variety of abilities and let me choose any of them at any time.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I prefer fixed number of slots.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Can the mods just make a pantheon subforum where folks can put up poll threads to vote on and discuss various design features? That way someone doesn't have to continually try to update the op with our current thoughts and opinions.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Fixed number, but with a range of possibilities. (Skill comes in the setup and execution)

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Prefer having to make a choice, but please, make it a good number like 8 or 10 or 12. GW2 and TSW being limited to like 5 or 6 abilities was so boring.

Also: We gonna get some fugly player characters this time? Games just don't have the endearing ugliness of Trolls & Ogres since EQ.

Edit: Please god, not another game with a unibody system for characters. Shit is awful awful awful.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'd prefer a fixed amount of slots. But now I'm nostalgic for Sojourn's spell system with circle slots that you can mem spells into.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If you have 100 spells and can only mem 8 you'll wind up with a dozen spell sets that you are constantly swapping between.

A better system would be limitedcombatspells but no limitations on out of combat abilities. This solves the annoyance of needing to swap buffs or out of combat utility spells in and out. Also, a lot of those abilities could be passive slots. This gives players more choices to make without adding buttons to smash.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fixed number is good, as long as you have at least 16 abilities. 10 is way too few in GW2. EQnext looks like it has too few as well.

Maybe 5 from weapon, 6 from class, 4 from subclass/multiclass whatever and an ultimate of some kind.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd prefer a fixed amount of slots. But now I'm nostalgic for Sojourn's spell system with circle slots that you can mem spells into.
Like EQ too. All in on that one. Think 8 slots is fair.

I'd like to revisit the bag system EQ had too. I want bags to be a big deal again. Plus vendor diving. So many mini game types of things EQ had and almost all of us found one or 2 things outside of adventuring to do. Be it buy and resell items from the bazaar, camping a select few mobs or like I said vendor diving.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I prefer having to make a choice, I am tired of having 100 different hot keys. 12 seems about right to me.
For me, 12 is about twice as much as you need. I think you really only need about 4-6 ability slots. Maybe an additional slot or two for longer cooldown situational abilities. Then toss in clickies.

Then create a decent mechanic or resource system so all your abilities don't run off mana/rage/energy or use cooldowns.

Mur_sl

shitlord
I prefer the old limited slot set up. I really enjoy(ed) having to think ahead, and plan for certain situations. Having 20 hot bars for my 100 abilities to be constantly available is one of the things I really loathe about most current MMO's. EQ2 comes to mind.