Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I'll throw a contrarian vote out there. I liked my priest in WoW having a wide variety of utility spells that I rarely used, but when I did use them it was awesome. Whether it was levitate or stoneform being able to pop that off on the fly was wonderful. Then again I'm one of those people who didn't mind having 60 keybindings for just my abilities and spells.

I never liked having only a few of my spells available in EQ (On my bard) because switching between them all the time was a hassle. It adds a level of depth to prepare some spells before combat but it just seemed to be hassle.

The limited spells one had in GW2 was fine, but I played an elementalist and had a much wider variety of spells to choose from because of attunement.

Overall, give me a wide variety of abilities and let me choose any of them at any time.
I played a rogue in wow classic and loved it, I want to say that I had maybe 15 total abilities that were useful outside gimmicks. By TBC I had maybe 20? I really didnt mind it or find it that bloated tho.

I think part of what I really dislike in games like EQ2/rift were how many abilities were part of the rotation. 20 abilities in TBC was fine because my rotation was still backstabx3 + finisher, with some feints and vanish and sprint used on a regular basis. Its when that rotation turns into 3 1-2 minute cooldowns and backstab v1 that has a change to proc something that lets you use backstabv3 which lets you immediately use a finisher, which might proc something else itself that I really start to dislike it.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For me, 12 is about twice as much as you need. I think you really only need about 4-6 ability slots. Maybe an additional slot or two for longer cooldown situational abilities. Then toss in clickies.

Then create a decent mechanic or resource system so all your abilities don't run off mana/rage/energy or use cooldowns.
So in other words around 12?
smile.png
I'm not saying 12 things all in a rotation, but 12 things total you can choose from with clickies included. Cause I don't know anyone who doesn't like clickies.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I never liked having only a few of my spells available in EQ (On my bard) because switching between them all the time was a hassle. It adds a level of depth to prepare some spells before combat but it just seemed to be hassle.
I definately prefer a limited loadout as in EQ but I must admit that I find it the most restrictive on my Bard in EQ.
smile.png

Anyway, put me down for limited loadout, and lots of class defining spells with lots of utility, and a World to go with it..... A huge task indeed!

Question: did anyone ever use the spell Sentinel (Enc) when we still had to meditate with our faces in our Spellbook? I always figured that this was where Class-distinction met Gameworld mechanic met a nice Utilityspell. I guess other classes simply had to do with the old "thudthudthudthudthud" closing in....and then the crackling of bones off course!

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For me, 12 is about twice as much as you need. I think you really only need about 4-6 ability slots. Maybe an additional slot or two for longer cooldown situational abilities. Then toss in clickies.

Then create a decent mechanic or resource system so all your abilities don't run off mana/rage/energy or use cooldowns.
4 is too low. 12 is getting to too high. How the system is designed would have an influence on how many keys is perfect for the game. 6 skills works in lol as an example, due to the fact that your character's positioning and how you are thinking about using those skills is important. Mmos generally don't require that much thought about where you are or how you use skills, so 6 in that situation would be boring. 12 skills could be alright, if they aren't all skills i have to use constantly. With 12 skills, you'd want some to be skills you have to put thought into using. Button mashing a lot of buttons just because you have a lot of buttons is awful content in my opinion. I really hate games that throw tons and tons of skills at me constantly, and it feels like your running through different skills with different names.

EQ2 was mega-guilty of this with some classes. It's playable, but it just isn't fun.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Also: We gonna get some fugly player characters this time? Games just don't have the endearing ugliness of Trolls & Ogres since EQ.

Edit: Please god, not another game with a unibody system for characters. Shit is awful awful awful.
I'll toss out a strong second for the ugly characters, Trolls being basically the only race I liked to play. Also, lets have racial traits again, and classes limited by race. No more any class / any race, etc etc. I want my Race choice to matter, and not just be a skin. No Ogre wizards, and no Gnome Tanks...make size and smarts matter.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
GW2 had the amount of abilities you say you want. /boggle
Yeah, I thought GW2 was just a bit on the high end.
5 Weapon abilities
Swap button
5 Weapon abilities
3 Utility buttons
1 Healing button
1-4 Class buttons.

Even though you only had 5 weapon abilities, you could swap which meant you managed 10 skill buttons. Anyway, it cam out to be like 10-14 buttons which I thought was still too many. I'm too into MOBAs now. I just want a good QWER and some situational things.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I definately prefer a limited loadout as in EQ but I must admit that I find it the most restrictive on my Bard in EQ.
smile.png
This is an interesting point. Some classes would do better with more skill options, and some should probably have less. Bards could only ever really run 4-6 songs at a time, so allowing them to have much more songs ready at their disposal didn't necessarily change their gameplay all that much.

Classes in theory could be designed around having more skills available, but would require a different thought process behind them from the typical mmo character design.

Tannlin_sl

shitlord
What do you guys feel about a spell/ability system where you have a fixed number of slots, so even if you know 100 spells, you can only mem a few at a time. Or, do you prefer the 'as long as I have mana' I can cast what I want?
Definitely have a limited load.

Also, if you're going to have stat modifiers on gear, it allows players to build with gear and skills. For example, "+fire damage on gear" for a wizard class, who them 'loads up' spells that do Fire Damage, and dropping Arcane or Water spells.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'll toss out a strong second for the ugly characters, Trolls being basically the only race I liked to play. Also, lets have racial traits again, and classes limited by race. No more any class / any race, etc etc. I want my Race choice to matter, and not just be a skin. No Ogre wizards, and no Gnome Tanks...make size and smarts matter.
What was so wrong with allowing unusual race/class combos?

I liked my Halfling Warrior with high base dex in Vanilla/Kunark...

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So in other words around 12?
smile.png
I'm not saying 12 things all in a rotation, but 12 things total you can choose from with clickies included. Cause I don't know anyone who doesn't like clickies.
I don't count clickies in my thinking honestly. I want class abilities lowered so managing clickies doesn't add on to more crap.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If you have 100 spells and can only mem 8 you'll wind up with a dozen spell sets that you are constantly swapping between.

A better system would be limitedcombatspells but no limitations on out of combat abilities. This solves the annoyance of needing to swap buffs or out of combat utility spells in and out. Also, a lot of those abilities could be passive slots. This gives players more choices to make without adding buttons to smash.
I agree with this. Make the 'load out' for when you're in combat only, but have access to all your utility stuff when not in combat.

Mur_sl

shitlord
What was so wrong with allowing unusual race/class combos?

I liked my Halfling Warrior with high base dex in Vanilla/Kunark...
For me it was more of a logical thing, (I know I shouldn't try to be logical about an MMORPG). I guess it was that all warriors in EQ were "tanks"...I'd like to see small warriors be bad tanks, but good DPS, and hard to hit. Tanks job should be to take damage...(in my mind, even if it wasn't necessarily so).

No biggie, just my preference.

Guess I'd like to see more distinction with certain unique classes available for each Race, with specialized roles in groups.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I thought GW2 was just a bit on the high end.
5 Weapon abilities
Swap button
5 Weapon abilities
3 Utility buttons
1 Healing button
1-4 Class buttons.

Even though you only had 5 weapon abilities, you could swap which meant you managed 10 skill buttons. Anyway, it cam out to be like 10-14 buttons which I thought was still too many. I'm too into MOBAs now. I just want a good QWER and some situational things.
Tried to get into moba's and was yelled at asap because I didn't know blah blah always goes center lane lol. Haven't had the time to read up on it. I'm trying to figure out how only 4 abilities can keep you busy in an mmo, plus the other stuff.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Definitely dont want hotbar bloat, but would rather see the limited style, however everything your class can 'do' doesnt need to be a spell. Bring back the differentiation between spells / melee / utility like EQ had. Things like Tracking, Bind Wound, and Forage have been left out or marginalized in recent MMOs.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I like the idea of 8 slots. Just stay away from EQ2's system.

Also, is there going to be auto-attack?

I may sound like a broken record but I really believe you could copy and paste about 80% of EQ and be pretty close to a solid game. May I make another suggestion, don't expand the world outwardly with updates/expansions. Add within the world all you can. I really felt that EQ would open a continent worth of zones and i honestly needed probably 3 of them. Furthermore, I would like to see the play base still travel through old zones and use old towns. Looking back to my time of EQ, I think you could have added many of the zone within the current world and kept people connected without sending them to the moon or wherever....