Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"State of the art" and "Elder Scrolls: Online" in the same sentence? This must be trolling.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's going to be so worth the wait brother... Already building my new PC for when this thing comes out in 2525.. If Pantheon can survive...

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
"State of the art" and "Elder Scrolls: Online" in the same sentence? This must be trolling.
"whether it's a state-of-the-art quest driven MMORPG like Elder Scrolls Online"

I just about spit up Diet Dr. pepper all over my computer. This is outrageously hilarious.

Wait just a minute: Gordon Walton is with the Crowfall team??? No wonder that game is sucking so much ass.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
EQ2 should be on there.
EQ2 is still being played and making money.. Hardly a failure. That list is pretty strange to be honest. FFXIV, though initially horrible, was revamped and is a very good game. SWG was a GREAT game, and ultimately evolved into the complete package. The NGE ruined it for sure, but everyone lays the blame on Smed for it, and that just wasn't true.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
They specifically noted that it was FFXIV 2010-2012 which was absolutely a noteworthy failure. The first sentence in the FFXIV section is "Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn isn't just the greatest comeback story in the history of MMOs, but arguably in the entire history of gaming" so they recognize the comeback.

Sad to see Vanguard on there, that one still stings. I was so hyped, lol.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
EQ2 is kind of like the Anakin of MMOs. It had so much potential...such promise. It was the Chosen One!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
EQ2 sucked because it actually wasn't awful eventually but the devs were generally idiotic, as in they had never even played their own game. My favorite part was over the years some devs would descend from cubicle heaven to the forums to be laughed off and ridiculed when they tried to claim things that we obviously not true to even the most casual of players. I don't remember who it was but I remember one of the top Rangers got into a forum argument once about a skill working wrong and just kept telling the dev "no, it really doesn't work that way" and reposting empirical evidence while the dev just kept getting worse and worse until they deleted the thread and the dev retreated.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am missing Auto Assault on that list. There was considerable hype when that game was in development and then it died within 2 years after release. I loved breaking up stuff in that game, but I think the PvP was rather simple and the tacked on First Person in hubs feature did not do much for the game. One thing I always disliked was the anemic sounds of the engines of the cars and weapons. But demolishing an entire town including its inhabitants with your guns never got old for me (and the shiny lewtz!).

I think the management of games like AA and Earth and Beyond also suffered from the "our MMO will be the next Blockbuster that will sit right there next to WoW on the throne or maybe even dethrone it" mindset from publishers in those days. I am sure that AA and E&B could have been moderate moneymakers till this day, if they would have accepted that MMO's are nicely suited for catering to a niche. I guess little fish like that are no good for the big publishers. But who here honestly thinks that we will ever see the masses set up camp again with a new mmo for years on end like they did with WoW? It's just that WoW managed to carve out the biggest niche.
biggrin.png

So I think every (good) MMO will still end up quickly catering to some niche these days (and can make money just fine if they keep honing and adding to their game).

Even when Star Citizen comes true to all it's promises, there will still be other (new) Space MMO's that will earn a nice buck right along with SC. (Personally I prefer a more colorfull, arcadish kind of approach to space combat like E and B had).

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I have to say I really enjoyed my time on EQ2 and think most people missed its best times. At launch, yeah, it was frustrating and SoE had been frustrating for awhile. Not to mention people had played EQ to death so with WoW's release it was not a surprise that people were not very forgiving. Just a shame that it did have a lot of potential overall and it did a lot of things right. However, in the end, it faced a giant in WoW and there was no winning.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
A huge part of WoW's success, was also the same component of EQ2's failure. The fact that WoW could run on just about any reasonable computer, but EQ2 ran like shit on even the best computers. It doesn't matter how great your gameplay is, if your computer can't run the damn thing. Vanguard suffered the exact same problem.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Except the gameplay of EQ2 at launch was balls. Locked encounters, shared xp (death) penalties, forgettable itemization, and the list goes on.

I still think the mechanic of limiting raids to 24 people (yet there's 24 classes in game) was also terrible. You had to have enough backup tanks / healers in guild for when some can't log on, but on a busy day you were forced to sit people out all the damn time. Forced raid caps that low were just short-sighted.

I really could go on bashing EQ2. It had the potential to be so much more, but it was the prime heyday of SoE's way or the highway. Player input didn't mean a damn thing.