Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Flinch_sl

shitlord
IIRC big furor did the vanilla Hearthglen questline which was probably the best shit in the game. Introduced Tirion and then his son dying and all that stuff.
Yeah, he also did some questline in Burning Steppes. There was a disguised member of the black dragonflight that was a name of one of his old characters.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didn't Tigole and Furor just make quests and shit then eventually transition into raid content? I don't think they were game designers at that point in time.
Tigole and another dude designed the quest system. Source: Overwatch Fall of Titan 3 part series from Gamespot

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Right. I've never heard anyone claim Tolkien had anything to do with design intricacies of mmos. But that's a totally different claim than crediting him as the the primary driving force for what our general understanding of what medieval-fantasy worlds are today.
He definitely created a framework for designing a world. However, Tolkien or no tolkien, mmos were an inevitability. They probably just wouldn't have been as cool.

kitsune

So, I only learned of this game yesterday while watching Kungens stream (funny since it's 600 pages and top of the mmo forum, guess I never looked) and I must say I am intrigued. I never played EQ so I don't have any bad blood with the developers but I'd like to know, how are all you old farts feeling about this game? The idea that you group up from the start and basically always play with others resonates to me as it will likely drive out the casuals who like queuing for mcdungeons.

But as far as I can see, we're still a ways off from release?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
ZxjYb8D.gif

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If Pantheon makes it big, I'll have a head start on all the user generated content lols.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to go ahead and guess he doesn't know how to pack a 'chute?

fucking hilarious. Because he survived of course. Otherwise I'd feel bad for him, I guess? Or maybe it's because that camera man has the steadiest aim ever? Even as his friend makes a mushroom cloud sized snow landing, he never flinches.

Dullahan

So, I only learned of this game yesterday while watching Kungens stream (funny since it's 600 pages and top of the mmo forum, guess I never looked) and I must say I am intrigued. I never played EQ so I don't have any bad blood with the developers but I'd like to know, how are all you old farts feeling about this game? The idea that you group up from the start and basically always play with others resonates to me as it will likely drive out the casuals who like queuing for mcdungeons.

But as far as I can see, we're still a ways off from release?
Lol, mcdungeons. Hadn't heard that one.

There are plenty of people that want an old style game. No one expects it to be the next big thing. Hell, theres an mmo on kickstarter right now with permadeath and promises of a dynamic story for every character that somehow plays together into some grand saga.... and as hardcore and unlikely as that sounds, it made over 250k on the first day of crowdfunding.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Lol, mcdungeons. Hadn't heard that one.

There are plenty of people that want an old style game. No one expects it to be the next big thing. Hell, theres an mmo on kickstarter right now with permadeath and promises of a dynamic story for every character that somehow plays together into some grand saga.... and as hardcore and unlikely as that sounds, it made over 250k on the first day of crowdfunding.
This game had a kickstarter as well... It was fucking glorious in how badly they shit the bed with it.

Dullahan

This game had a kickstarter as well... It was fucking glorious in how badly they shit the bed with it.
Ya. I was there and wasn't impressed so I didn't pledge. I did about a year later though when they finally showed something that looked like it might turn into a game.

Raign

Golden Squire
I think everyone is somewhat to that point. I believe the frustration and harsh judgement comes from Brad randomly popping up and delivering nothing tangible. It's been proven that people are willing to support his endeavors but he really needs to deliver something. The facts are facts and Brad will have to live with the reputation he's created. I think everyone will play whatever he can deliver but he's yet to really cross the finish line and to me that's including Vanguard. You think about that, it's been more than a decade that Brad has accomplished anything in terms of a finished product.

Bottom line, he'll have to be patient with the world and take his lumps along the way. That's not to say he can't do it and we don't remember Everquest as being our first love but that was nearly 20 nears ago we've given him a lot of chances and money. I believe it's his turn to come through with something.
^ This. This is perfect. I loved what I saw in his live demo, and was Brad not... well Brad, I would have backed the project based on what I saw, no questions asked, no further evidence needed. But due to his sordid history of popping up, promising greatness, then promptly shitting the bed, then rolling his employees and fans in it, he is going to need to be more patient. I honestly believe he can do it based on what he showed, if (and this is a gigantic if) he does not run out of money and end up having to half-ass the last 2/3 of development to quicken it out the door.

I would love to have a look at his financials right now though as I am sure that would be incredibly telling.