Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Questions that are not intended to have a response will be removed. This includes troll, low effort, passive-aggressive, and straight up rude comments

Welp, there goes about half of their potential playerbase right there.

Still, I may have to come home early tomorrow and log on for this.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
A tiny team of people (not all devs) trying to make a game in the most challenging and resource exhausting genre should worry less about innovating, and more about trying to relight an old flame. It's nice for people to want innovation, but that's saved for devs with a big budget -- and even they don't want to waste resources on MMOs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Brad McQuaid said:
And then the OP brings up, “hey, what will you do with Pantheon once there aren't enough people playing it such that it is no longer a profitable venture?” Whoah, like I said, my first reaction is to say ‘wut?’.

My second reaction is to say 'I have no idea.'

Pantheon Forums - Blog View - Sunsetting an MMO

This retarded view is shared by, apparently, every major gaming company to close down an MMO.

You let people run custom servers, and give them the ability to edit the database or whatever custom server shit, on a website with a simple ass layout.

That is what you do when your servers stop being popular, dumbasses.

• 1Solidarity

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A tiny team of people (not all devs) trying to make a game in the most challenging and resource exhausting genre should worry less about innovating, and more about trying to relight an old flame. It's nice for people to want innovation, but that's saved for devs with a big budget -- and even they don't want to waste resources on MMOs.

Depends on what you define as innovating I guess. I think there are some simple design ideas that could innovate but not require a ton of resource, if that makes sense?

Also, think classes need to expand past EQ but keep the essence of what made the classes in EQ great.

• 1Like

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Depends on what you define as innovating I guess. I think there are some simple design ideas that could innovate but not require a ton of resource, if that makes sense?

Also, think classes need to expand past EQ but keep the essence of what made the classes in EQ great.
It does considering they have to code, or at least configure all of the other mechanics that some of us want to see changed anyway. Furthermore, they have 12 devly types on their team, which is about the same as Crowfall. And with what we have seen in Crowfall's development over the last 12 months, team size isn't a worthy excuse; it's not like Pantheon is setting any development records. Hell, look at what Project Gorgon has done using unity with 1 programmer.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can we get a rere pantheon guild roster going? I think we really need to be able to hit the ground running on day one so we can be the home of top uber guild and #1 pantheon fan site.

It is our destiny.
<-- Guild Treasurer.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
God damn it.

I literally stared at the $100 donation package for 30 minutes trying to talk myself into/out of buying it.

I'm so hard up for some sweet old school MMO action but I just can't part with the money yet until I actually see some shit.

Holding strong for now.

tyen

<Banned>
Well, if you nerds want an EQ clone you've already got it with the EQEMU <-> Unity framework that I have open source on the internet. Can build to any platform. If you want it to be a different game, I/you/we can easily make the npc/item/quest stuff go to a webpage where you can crowdsource it. I imagine it would cost around $2,000 to buy absolutely top of the line badass zones/npc/pc models. I could prolly penny pinch and get some "meh" assets for $1,000.

For example, the zone below is $45. Would be perfect for a dungeon.

ab305ba9-5f94-4f54-881f-86c36ebfde90_scaled.jpg

tyen

<Banned>
it'd be doable for sure. Can put a moderation que for changes, some stupid voting system or individually moderated by "staff."

Plus, all the servers will be custom and I'll have a web editor for people to manage their servers and edit it without any coding knowledge. So one server can be totally different than another, all kinds of customization to increase the longevity of the game.

With the assets, ya can do it all kinds of ways.

I've been thinking about the assets part for a very long time and came to the conclusion that I can still keep the project open source if I use "asset bundles" where the paid assets are hosted somewhere else than the project source. That way you can still develop/use the assets without it being on your computer or in the project source. That way, I can keep the code open without getting banned by Unity for sharing purchased assets to the world.

Open Source is very important to me with the whole Unity & Eqemu framework. It wouldn't advance if it wasn't.

• 1Like

tyen

<Banned>
I actually purchased the same crowdfunding software that Star Citizen uses for like $400 and connected it to Xenforo and haven't used it since.

@trex so mad about that >_< >_< >_<

• 1Like