Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I would love to see non-instanced dungeons/raids again. The social aspect is what made EQ such a tremendous game. WoW removed that entirely with the queue systems and even worse when they made the queues cross server. Never ran across the same person twice, so I had zero fucks to give about being a terrible asshat... Not in EQ though!
We are starting to get a good feeling about some other mechanics, and it's not the instancing that causes problems. It's the first M in MMO.

As you said, you never run across the same person twice. That's because you're playing in a pool of a million or so people. If you remove the auto-queue system and have the group made and handpicked, like the mythic/mythic+ premade... guess what? People still leave as soon as things don't look good, because they know they're going to find better groups. They even kick you on the last boss for giggles, so you don't get the loot. A friend of mine was doing a pickup on NM, and the raid lead, after 6 clean bosses, kicked 5 people from the raid so that they'd be 10 and "do better" on Xavius. Not on the second try, mind you, straight out after they looted Cenarius. Those people that helped on the whole raid? Fuck them.

EQ was not a 500k player game, it was a 10k player game. Every other server might as well not exist. It's like a small town, you end up knowing most of everyone, and you couldn't escape.

Ostracism is a strong force in small communities.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
This is on point. If you were a shit head in the game, word would spread around about it pretty quickly. If you were really good at something, word would also spread.

I miss those small tight knit communities.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I would love to see non-instanced dungeons/raids again. The social aspect is what made EQ such a tremendous game. WoW removed that entirely with the queue systems and even worse when they made the queues cross server. Never ran across the same person twice, so I had zero fucks to give about being a terrible asshat... Not in EQ though!
Out of curiosity, did you play on the recent EQ Progression servers? Or follow that thread?

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Out of curiosity, did you play on the recent EQ Progression servers? Or follow that thread?

Casual players wont see a raid mob much less kill one until they instance content, and by casual I mean people playing less than 12 hours a day. Those first six months will be glorious though. My batphone is ready.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Raid mobs weren't instanced in VG and most guilds that could kill them did. Most overworld ones had 7 day lockout timers after you killed them.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't make it that far in VG, so I'll have to take your word for it. I will concede that it is possible to have low enough demand that non-instanced content is viable.

Good luck convincing someone to pay the development costs of an MMO (i.e. hundreds of millions of dollars) whose design requires a small player population.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I mean, all you have to do is have triggered content for the small time raiders. Turn in item. raid mob spawns. Might have to use some tagging system (tags the guild that turned it in or something) or phasing, but there are ways to do it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Lockouts and very fast respawn are more or lesss the same as instancing in the end. As for triggered content, people will def snag a raid mob you spawned. Even on things like your epic final fight.

Hopefully Brad and co are considering all of this.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So I'm assuming the character models and animations will be changed in the future? They're pretty bad right now.

Is the lore as bad as people say?

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I'm assuming the character models and animations will be changed in the future? They're pretty bad right now.

The lore is bad people are just upset that they don't have trolls...

Pogi.G

I haven't played a progression server since the very first one, and I didn't get to spend much time there. I think I got to 20 when I was slammed with work and couldn't play.

Dull

Molten Core Raider

Im not a lore guy but I read through the race lore one bored afternoon. I liked the gnome and halfling lore, I didnt like the skar and the fish people, and the rest was pretty standard meh. All the lorekeeper and other stuff I have no idea. They did make the humans really boring.

The company line on on the character models is that they are just placeholders (Im sure bought from the unity store since there are like four) and they are focused on the game mechanics. That sounds reasonable but is it true? /shrug. I am guessing it is because they have to do all the other races and that will be hard to just buy. The mob models I dont know. The textures I hope would get a once over as well.

Pogi.G

Have they said anything about maps being in? Personally, I like the idea of not having maps. I think exploring is a bit more fun that way but can be tedious. I remember my first character in EQ was an Erudite enchanter. I think I was level 6 and was wondering around toxxulia forest when I aggro'd a kobald camp. Never found my body.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
still think cartography as a tradeskill would be sweet. want a map? hit up someone who has been skillupping their surveying.

• 1Like

Dull

Molten Core Raider
McQuaid said in the last stream (3 months ago) that there would be no ingame maps and that you would have to go to fan sites (like eqatlas) to find one. Not the reason they are doing it but it makes sense for a money strapped team to outsource to the fans something like this instead of using dev time.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Have they said anything about maps being in? Personally, I like the idea of not having maps. I think exploring is a bit more fun that way but can be tedious. I remember my first character in EQ was an Erudite enchanter. I think I was level 6 and was wondering around toxxulia forest when I aggro'd a kobald camp. Never found my body.
The official unofficial word is no in-game maps. There may be an overland map, but nothing confirmed.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im not exactly a fan of having maps just being known straight off the get go. Id rather have maps become known as you explore them. Less "Area explored" like WoW, and more detailed, individual areas that you can see from character vision. Tradeskill being a fine idea. A trade thats comparable to Archaeology or Cooking. Something anyone can learn at any point without any consequence. Add in certain hoops to be able to explore certain areas. For example, if you want to map the planes - you have to go through some kind of quest chain. If you want to map underwater areas, you have to go through another quest. If you want to trade maps to people, you have to have another type of quest done.

I just remember getting in areas inside of EverQuest that I knew the area in the zone I was in, but since everything looked the same - I was f'n lost until I went about 30 yards into the wrong direction. More of an annoyance than an enjoyment or mysterious "thing".

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I enjoyed the EQ system where you made the map yourself running around. The tradeskill map idea is genius though. A whole new corner in the player economy.