Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Do you want ball crushing noobie experience though? Because even though many people didn't make it past this shit it was very memorable even now.

Do you wanna go up to a guard accidentally hit the wrong button and he shit rapes your face?

View attachment 116750

Do you wanna be killing a bear and then this bitch rolls up on your ass and lets you know who's town you are in.

View attachment 116751

Do you want mega level raid mobs roaming around that you by chance run into who devours your soul.

View attachment 116752

This is precisely the reason games like Dwarf Fortress and Dark Souls are popular and memorable!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
One thing that I always liked about EQ is that far off dungeons. Especially the ones without choice loot, such as Splitpaw. Were outright terrifying in that there was no way to easily get back to your body. Especially if melee and at the time there were also no good maps of the place circulating around.

Of course once you kill everything in it its really, meh. But the mystery of it was awesome. A lot of dungeons and areas had this kind of mystery. Siren's Grotto (fuck that place), Crystal Caverns (cool Dwarf colony in the bottom with lore and bank!), Kaesora, Mines of Nurga, etc.

Lots of the lesser traveled dungeons were pretty cool.

Best time I had was on a obscure emu server. Finally got to see all those places and truly explore them one by one from top to bottom. 4 box crew, all mobs had 1/2 hp all PHs were gone and he had teleporters set up that let you TP right into the dungeons. sounds like cake, right? Well maybe compared to EQ live but it was still tough as shit to dungeon crawl through them places, break into camps, etc...

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
These are all different parts of the startup puzzle that depend on variables mostly hidden from us. IMO we have too little info and it is much too early for us to speculate on details of what they could/should be charging IMO. As long as someone (hopefully not the war wizard) with a specialization in business and finance planning experience can work out a functional model and construct contingency plans. Any such models should account for for scaling and ramp up their business model sustainably for a period. Such models will be instrumental in helping them obtain seed funding for the expensive asset development for the world content (unless people blindly throw enough money at them I guess like Star Citizen and they try to BS their way through). All this should be happening now while most of the team progresses game development wise.

What prices should they charge for monthly subs? ......
Once you construct a semi functional business model, you can tweak and play with it to see how it scales. Tweak the variables and see how price changes in your market models would affect the returns you need to cover the necessary post release sustainability costs besides development of content. Too much we do not know about their funding and investment structure.

Post Release Issues......
The post relase business model does not need to be anything terribly new or revolutionary. Wow has done a great job of straddling and combining the f2p and subscritpion models. Using a few months worth of f2p level play, effectively just a tutorial for noobies coming in, could serve well as a base model to build from for Pantheon. Provided progression is slowed and gated nicely and not too abruptly. Tiers of subscriptions for progression past tutorial levels should keep the nature of the fair play experience consistant with the spirit of EQ.

Group game focus!......
If pantheon does indeed aspire to be a mostly grouping game, their most important commodity will be player time and presence in the world. Spreading out the players nicely through whatever little content they have for the initial game will be paramount to facilitate grouping well for its playerbase.

Scaling.....
One of Sigils biggest fookups with Vanguard was in trying to release a HUGE world to start, instead of scaling the design organically while focusing on maintaining quality & population density over a smaller amount of content. Actually same as Everquests braindead approach to expansions post Velious. No point in having a gigantic world in a group game if there is nobody around to play with.

Anyhow, any early game bundles should probably offer free months of play beyond tutorial levels to make sure to seed the game with a critical mass of players to properly consume the group content with and to keep the world active and feeling alive.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users
after watching a few minutes of the gameplay video they put out i'm amused with how far they went to copy EverQuest. they even got the shitty spell effects and awkward animations down.

Its still early in the development phase.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user
after watching a few minutes of the gameplay video they put out i'm amused with how far they went to copy EverQuest. they even got the shitty spell effects and awkward animations down.

Its still early in the development phase.

• 1Salty

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
oh okay, then all EverQuest similarities are a total coincidence.

I for one welcome the similarity to EQ. Its been like almost 20 yrs since EQ hit back in late 90s. And most of the 2Ks up till present day were filled with garbage McWoW clones. Maybe the whole EQ type experience should be revisited with a modern more streamlined twist, dont you think? I do.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I for one welcome the similarity to EQ. Its been like almost 20 yrs since EQ hit back in late 90s. And most of the 2Ks up till present day were filled with garbage McWoW clones. Maybe the whole EQ type experience should be revisited with a modern more streamlined twist, dont you think? I do.
yeah i have zero issues with them making an EQ clone, it makes perfect sense to me. i was just baffled by that guy's response.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If this game launches with very little bugs and runs smoothly, I'd be willing to pay anywhere between $10 and $15 a month.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Old EQ particle effects were amazing, especially for the time. To this day it remains the most magical looking magic.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
you know this from all the magic you've seen first hand?

I think this is more about particle effect items being extremely rare in EQ for a very, very long time. So you remembered when you saw one. Whereas WoW went full retard and you could get a beastslaying enchant or whatever for fire effect at like lvl 25.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think this is more about particle effect items being extremely rare in EQ for a very, very long time. So you remembered when you saw one. Whereas WoW went full retard and you could get a beastslaying enchant or whatever for fire effect at like lvl 25.

I agree. I think the rarity of the items with particle effects is what made them so cool in EQ. I still remember when I got my Glowing Black Stone from Happ Dremblenod (was that her name?). Wasn't exactly particle effects, but that fact that it pulsed made it look bad ass as fuck when you equipped it. I think this circles back to the argument of having meaningful loot in a game, and not having an upgrade drop every twenty minutes.