Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A nice part of a non-"action combat," GCD, tab-targeting game is that you can basically test a bulk of your class/ability system as a tabletop system and identify shit that's not pulling its weight there. D% rolls like a man!

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Sigil used SOE as a publisher and as a result it made some things difficult.

Not true at all, the Sony deal came with zero strings and access to more resources. There was literally no downside for Sigil as far as development is concerned.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not true at all, the Sony deal came with zero strings and access to more resources. There was literally no downside for Sigil as far as development is concerned.

Never said the problems were development related. There were several problems from an operational perspective, though. SOE handled customer payment and getting important information from them was a constant roadblock. I don't remember all the issues (it's been a decade), but one of the biggest was getting subscriber info in order to ban gold farmers/spammers.

We could get IP info on our own, but we learned very quickly that IP info doesn't mean much with Internet cafes and a virtually limitless supply of free "trial" accounts. What we needed was to be able to link the spammer accounts with a specific credit card, but SOE wouldn't assist with that.

That was just one of the issues (there were several). Again, it doesn't matter because I don't think Sigil had much of a choice. But self-publishing is easier now than it was back in the VG days. The fewer third-party companies they have to involve the better.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

Other than the obvious releasing too soon... or was that not part of the agreement ?

Sigil didn't really exist at that point. They failed and fell apart and SOE just bought the remains and released it to make a few bucks back, and maybe to prevent competition from getting it and spending real money on it.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
10/10 for ambition, it's a shame it'll be in development for another two years. It's certainly been bizarre watching this turn from a trainwreck into a viable venture, surely they've come far enough now that they'll push something out the door eventually.

Also wasn't their original kicktarter goal in the 700 grand region? Brad's saying they've passed that and I would never have thought they could have pull in that amount, even over two years.

Yeah, with 15 developers of whatever variety and others on the team, they would have needed to pull in more than that by now to maintain staffing, improve their Unity system, etc. Their seed funding seems to be pretty solid.

On to the game, I really like hearing about finding items, spells, etc to expand your abilities. Exploring was always one of my favorite parts of MMOs. The newest parts seem to be a move in the right direction.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
False. Anyone who played the game in beta before SOE and then at launch can see how drastically it changed to be more about accessibility, in line with EQ2/WoW (the stated Smedley mmo philosophy of the time). A few months in, it was converted into a full blown themepark with quest progression, a watered down death penalty, fast travel and much of what we did not want to see in Vanguard.

That was not a Sigil design, so there were strings in there somewhere.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
We could get IP info on our own, but we learned very quickly that IP info doesn't mean much with Internet cafes and a virtually limitless supply of free "trial" accounts. What we needed was to be able to link the spammer accounts with a specific credit card, but SOE wouldn't assist with that.

Eh, that just seems like a small process issues, it certainly wasn't worth the cost and annoyance of having to build and run the entire system internally.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
False. Anyone who played the game in beta before SOE and then at launch can see how drastically it changed to be more about accessibility, in line with EQ2/WoW (the stated Smedley mmo philosophy of the time). A few months in, it was converted into a full blown themepark with quest progression, a watered down death penalty, fast travel and much of what we did not want to see in Vanguard.

That was not a Sigil design, so there were strings in there somewhere.

You couldn't be more wrong. That was 100% completely internal and most of those changes were made before the Sony deal.

Dullahan

You couldn't be more wrong. That was 100% completely internal and most of those changes were made before the Sony deal.
Nope. Their original involvement, even before the deal, was most definitely contingent upon Sigil shifting their design to line up with SOE's. If you don't realize that, you clearly did not play the early game or it's beta phases. The idea that they independently abandoned their original vision in the last 6 months of development makes no sense.

I'm not going to pretend I know all of the details, but there was a night and day transition that began to occur right after Microsoft dropped out as publisher and they began negotiation with SOE.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Nope. Their original involvement, even before the deal, was most definitely contingent upon Sigil shifting their design to line up with SOE's. If you don't realize that, you clearly did not play the early game or it's beta phases.

I'm not going to pretend I know all of the details, but there was a night and day transition that began to occur right after Microsoft dropped out as publisher and they began negotiation with SOE.

You not only don't have all the details, you don't have anything. This isn't an opinion, I am telling you how it happened.

Dullahan

You not only don't have all the details, you don't have anything. This isn't an opinion, I am telling you how it happened.
Cool story bro. Sigil just up and decided at the last minute to change their game to a themepark, and that had nothing to do with trying to appeal to or negotiate with SOE and/or other investors. Right.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Cool story bro. Sigil just up and decided at the last minute to change their game to a themepark, and that had nothing to do with trying to appeal to or negotiate with SOE and/or other investors. Right.

Firstly it didn't happen at the last minute, secondly it didn't go full theme park (dungeons weren't instances for example). The changes you are referring to were implemented over the last year and a half or so of production.

It began happening when msft was still paying the bills and those decisions were made completely internally by people with 0 involvement in anything business related.

Dullahan

Firstly it didn't happen at the last minute, secondly it didn't go full theme park (dungeons weren't instances for example). The changes you are referring to were implemented over the last year and a half or so of production.

It began happening when msft was still paying the bills and those decisions were made completely internally.
You have a poor memory. The themepark aspects I'm referring to were all post-Microsoft and after SOE got involved. There was no quest progression in the beta even a year prior to launch. I don't think they had even quests past level 20 at launch. There was no weak death penalty. The rifts were locked and did not allow fast travel anywhere by anyone at any level like they did later on. Even your ability to solo was changed drastically in late development.

None of those things were in alignment with the game they pitched us. Most of them were added months before launch, or came post-launch.

Last edited:

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dullahan bro, you aren't wrong in what happened, but you have the timeline a little off. I think Denault is confused too, though.

The changes you are talking about (turning the game into a theme park and bringing it more in line with EQ2 etc) are absolutely related to SOE- Because they primarily occurred after the IP was transfered from Sigil to SOE.

Nothing that happened before May 2007 (the transfer) was SOE's "fault." Like I stated, there were some negatives to using them to publish, but if anything, SOE provided a lifeline to Sigil to keep the game on life support.

And yeah Denault and I both worked for Sigil.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Because they primarily occurred after the IP was transfered from Sigil to SOE.

No, they didn't. The changes were in the works long before that and were absolutely driven from the bottom up, they did not come from the top down. It took time for them to get into public Betas, but they were in the works for many months prior to that. There was that initial beta that was an abysmal failure, then a period of time where very little happened to the beta but shit tons of stuff was going on in development builds.

Once again, these changes did not come from Sony.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
We must have different definitions of what "turning the game into a theme park and bringing it in line with EQ 2" means.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
We must have different definitions of what "turning the game into a theme park and bringing it in line with EQ 2" means.

If you mean the quests system, and you worked there, then you should know it was added for a bunch of reasons. You should also remember that it was conceived of and pushed through (with much arguing with management) by the content designerss themselves because it made the process of creating content significantly better and faster, while also providing a way for players to actually find the content that was there. The introduction of that system drastically improved not only content creation but player retention as well... by a ton.