Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I leveled a wizard off the metallica barbarians in WK by the water. Not really a secret place, but they were spread out so you could solo each of the three if I remember correctly. The lower level one was in his 20s, and they were a 6 min repop. You could literally solo in that spot using the three of them from around 25-40+. It was my goto spot when I didn't have time to group.

Also used Cyndreela in front of fear portal a lot pre-kunark, and then for my early 50s. Most people didn't want to mess with her dots. She was a high level caster and had very low hp. If you caught her before she buffed I think you could actually 2 shot her with ice comets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I spent a sick amount of time killing the Millers in Qeynos Hills. Took a lot of my chars from low 20's to low 30's there. I was on SZ and QH was out of the way enough I could usually level in peace. Got a few GBSs while I was at it. Early days on the pvp servers GBSs were money

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still strolling down memory lane with camps I used to do in EQ:

Aviaks in South Karana.
Drolvargs in DL outside of Karnors.
Cocks in The OT.
The fort in Lake of Ill Omen.
Giants in Frontier Mountains ("OMG! Frost Loop dropped!").

And that's all before the really good places like UGuk, Unrest, KC, Chardok, Sebilis, Velks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's cool hearing about all of the old camps people use to use in EQ for leveling, especially ones that were "off the beaten path" from the masses. Finding those places was done mostly through exploration and trial and error by the players, which has me excited since that is one of VR's tenets for Pantheon.

I'm looking forward to discovering shit like that again. Loot, good XP camps, pathing tendencies, overcons, undercons, challenging camps to break, new player tactics, freaking all of it.

Yeah, intentionally obscuring things from the players to prevent datamining bullshit is a very interesting tactic to me and I like it a lot. WoW's datamining is just so... rote. Datamine and optimize, datamine and optimize.... lifeless.

• 1Solidarity

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Those polar bears would just run to the base of the second ladder and pace back and forth when feared if I remember. Let a shadowknight "solo", was still pure hell trying to solo a troll SK in classic though. I remember the first time a group at the entrance of sebilis hesitated to invite me, and I learned to my horror that the race/class penalty was SHARED out to my group mates.

I was ok with eating the penalty myself (wore it as a badge of honor), but to basically make us lepers to everyone else was.... bad move.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Was that shared exp penalty math deliberate? Or was it one of those fun "emergent features" that only happened by pure accident?

Edit: this was easier to google than I expected...
EQ Producers letter of 1/14/01

P.S. Just in case anyone forgot, "The Vision" has always been really fucking sketchy, at best.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing is though, some of the racial penalties made sense to me. Frontal Stun Immunity on an Ogre was hugely advantageous. Troll Regen and Iksar Regen were powerful passive buffs. Slam was a skill that was worth having and using for some classes. The Wood Elf originally had the highest AC in the game before they altered how Agility worked in early Classic. The Wood Elf Warrior was unique in that regard before the agility nerf and its just one of the many nerfs that I never fully understood. Normalizing the exp penalties was an easier way out of just balancing the unique traits of each race. People were still playing and leveling races and classes that had the exp penalties, but now instead of being shunned by one moron group, theyre praised over all others. Would you have rather had an Ogre Tank or a Human Tank after the exp changes? Easy answer.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I just love that originally humans were supposed to have the +10 xp bonus but they fucked up and gave it to halflings instead and decided since they never announced shit that they would keep quiet about it.

• 1Solidarity

elbas

Molten Core Raider
All the talk of solo spots made me remember an idea for dungeon design. I wish the front of dungeons had a soloable mob or two on a slow repop rate so that it was doable, but not great exp. If you wanted to do the dungeon but didn't have a group, you could solo at the entrance waiting for groups to come in. It would be an easy way for the individual to find a group and for a group to add members.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
All the talk of solo spots made me remember an idea for dungeon design. I wish the front of dungeons had a soloable mob or two on a slow repop rate so that it was doable, but not great exp. If you wanted to do the dungeon but didn't have a group, you could solo at the entrance waiting for groups to come in. It would be an easy way for the individual to find a group and for a group to add members.

Several dungeons in EQ like that

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In Lake Rathe the underwater gob shamans would summon the wolf pets over and over and they would path to the Rathe Mtn zone...we leveled like mad off that. Took awhile for them to fix it too. Unfortunately as a monk you saw that bug again in the old version of Plane of Hate where some mobs had multiple summoned pets and would agro all over the zone while pathing in different directions. Shit sucked to pull till they removed a lot of the bugs in that zone.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Anyone ever camp the giants at the fort in Frontier Mountains (and down into that tunnel inside)? Hated when I'd be running there, agro some brute and you'd have a giant monkey chasing you across the zone. I remember I found myself there a lot as a Necro, then the cocks right outside the FM/OT zone in, then the Drolvargs/Spiders had great fear paths outside Karnors. I wish I could remember the more isolated camps in Kunark, I know Chardok had some remote points you could solo to and hold and Burning Woods. Haven't played the game since around 2003-04 but it's crazy how many little things you could remember at the time that hardly anyone knew of and how they can be so lost on you now. A lot of it was via word of mouth or just flat out exploring, testing out mobs until you found something that was really rewarding.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here I am being elitist and thinking who didnt have levitate? And then I remembered not everyone had jboots and pegasus cloak back then.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Here I am being elitist and thinking who didnt have levitate? And then I remembered not everyone had jboots and pegasus cloak back then.

I love in 2016 I could sit in EC tunnel spamming jboots on my lvl 4 SK and still get salty tells mad they didn't have their Michael Jordan's too.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I just love that originally humans were supposed to have the +10 xp bonus but they fucked up and gave it to halflings instead and decided since they never announced shit that they would keep quiet about it.
As a Halfling Rogue, I really appreciated that 15% total bonus!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I love in 2016 I could sit in EC tunnel spamming jboots on my lvl 4 SK and still get salty tells mad they didn't have their Michael Jordan's too.

Hah we would make level 1 alts just to key them for VP and give them gear just to sit in the tunnel for hate tells.

You gained a few levels just by turning in the key

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
I spent this week watching all of Cohh's gameplay vids... They've sold me. It feels very much like old school EQ. Even the sound effects bring back EQ memories. It seems pretty obvious they took the old EQ foundation and just added a few elements from Vanguard and a few "new" ideas and came up with pretty much the exact game I was looking for. Only real criticism I have so far is some of the lore and playable races. Still don't completely understand the whole idea of races "arriving" on Terminus from other planets? That aspect seems a little too sci-fi ish to me. How did they "arrive"? I wish they would have divided the elves in sub races. No dark elves sucks. :( Not a big fan of the Dark Myr "mermaid" race either. Those are pretty minor issues though.

I was very doubtful early on that this game would get made. Seems pretty clear now, it's well on the way to being made. I'm going to pledge to at least the beta test level, perhaps even the alpha. Curious what people here think the odds are at this point, that the game launches and launches successfully? I'm by no means an expert, but I have followed a few MMO's during development... I would say 95% chance the game launches, with a 70% chance of a successful launch. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic... I very badly want the option to play this type of game again. I'm impressed as hell with what they have done so far!

• 1Like

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
I spent this week watching all of Cohh's gameplay vids... They've sold me. It feels very much like old school EQ. Even the sound effects bring back EQ memories. It seems pretty obvious they took the old EQ foundation and just added a few elements from Vanguard and a few "new" ideas and came up with pretty much the exact game I was looking for. Only real criticism I have so far is some of the lore and playable races. Still don't completely understand the whole idea of races "arriving" on Terminus from other planets? That aspect seems a little too sci-fi ish to me. How did they "arrive"? I wish they would have divided the elves in sub races. No dark elves sucks. :( Not a big fan of the Dark Myr "mermaid" race either. Those are pretty minor issues though.

I was very doubtful early on that this game would get made. Seems pretty clear now, it's well on the way to being made. I'm going to pledge to at least the beta test level, perhaps even the alpha. Curious what people here think the odds are at this point, that the game launches and launches successfully? I'm by no means an expert, but I have followed a few MMO's during development... I would say 95% chance the game launches, with a 70% chance of a successful launch. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic... I very badly want the option to play this type of game again. I'm impressed as hell with what they have done so far!

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users