Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Zaide

TLP Idealist

The first 20 minutes of this was rough, I thought it was going to be a disaster, but once Jim got out of Fly Mode it turned into the best stream so far. Cohh is cool and all but I liked seeing this session because Jim and his friends just played, they didn't seem so focused on the audience.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I love that you need someone to hold a torch to see, that's awesome.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
We know what your job is lol. “ Hey heko go up ahead with that torch of yours and check for traps.”

Ah who can forget the good ol days, look at this classic EQ screenshot.

HCphqJ6.png

• 11Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

Nullify

Trakanon Raider
Ah who can forget the good ol days, look at this classic EQ screenshot.

HCphqJ6.png

My first EQ character was a human starting in Qeynos. Somehow made my way to the tunnel between Qeynos Hills and Surefall, without a light source, and it basically looked like this. Teenage me knowing fuck all about adjusting gamma, tried pressing random arrow keys for 5 minutes before I exited out and made a new character. Pretty sure he's still camped in that tunnel.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Zaide

TLP Idealist
My first EQ character was a human starting in Qeynos. Somehow made my way to the tunnel between Qeynos Hills and Surefall, without a light source, and it basically looked like this. Teenage me knowing fuck all about adjusting gamma, tried pressing random arrow keys for 5 minutes before I exited out and made a new character. Pretty sure he's still camped in that tunnel.

Trying to zone into blackburrow as a Barbarian w/o a light source was a real struggle. I think a lot of those issues were actually because of our trash monitors and resolution back in the day. If you turn your resolution to the lowest setting in EQ even today it looks very similar.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Agreed Jimmy Jim seemed to have a non-manufactured smile while playing and the game does seem to be fun to play while not streaming much excitement

Pops

It's 10x more than that to play now, sadly.

You can get into Alpha with a $250 pledge, but Pre-Alpha costs $10,000. I'm not sure how long ago that change happened.

I don't mind putting in two fiddy (I think I pledged 300 on the failed kickstarter back in the day) but 10k is just insane :(
10 Grand? Brad's penis envy of Todd.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Missed this.

That does not look bad at all. Another group in the same dungeon? What year is this!?

Obviously missing some UI elements, and the animations are meh...But I'm feeling optimistic right now about their game.

• 3Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I mean, at this pace they only need to create 30 more zones... So 2024?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I tried to search it, but Allakhazam loads like trash in my browser for some reason. How many zones did EQ have in it when it launched in 99?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I tried to search it, but Allakhazam loads like trash in my browser for some reason. How many zones did EQ have in it when it launched in 99?

I don't think it should be an apples to apples comparison either. Due to PC / network limitations of 1999, you had to split zones up. ie: East Commons, West Commons, cities broken into multiple zones, etc.. Today, you could build far larger zones with 10x the players. Let's not forget: quality > quantity.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
East Karana, West Karana, South Karana, North Karana, Central Karana, Upper Karana, Lower Karana, Karana A, Karana B....

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think it should be an apples to apples comparison either. Due to PC / network limitations of 1999, you had to split zones up. ie: East Commons, West Commons, cities broken into multiple zones, etc.. Today, you could build far larger zones with 10x the players. Let's not forget: quality > quantity.

Which a very valid point, now that I think about it. Im thinking somewhere around 70 zones total if you include every single one. But that comparison works both ways, for and against Pantheon. Because although the content was there for EQ, zones like "The Arena" were very simplistic. Zones like Crushbone, though a really good zone.. are tiny in the relative scheme. Where as Upper Guk and Lower Guk were just slam packed and expansive as a whole. Quality of course matters, but in hindsight, quantity of content isnt so easy to weigh anymore.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think original EQ had about 68 zones at launch, Kedge Keep, Solro Temple, Plane of Fear, Plane of Sky, Plane of Hate were all added piecemeal over the space of the following year before Kunark released.

But yeah a lot of the zones were divided due to limitations, think Freeport (3 zones), Neriak (3 zones), Qeynos (2 zones), Kaladim (2 zones), Erudin (2 zones), Felwithe (2 zones) Karana (4 zones) Desert of Ro (3 Zones), Commonlands (2 zones). Merge those and that's down to 54 zones, if we count Guk/Soldunga/b then we go down to 52. Arena is barely a zone so there is 51.

In terms of zone size we can probably guesstimate that if Pantheon reaches 40 zones it will be larger geographically than classic EQ at launch. When we look at the Thronefast streams we've been lucky enough to get some really wide overhead shots, and it looks like the equivalent of combining North Qeynos, South Qeynos and Qeynos Hills all into one giant zone.

We've seen multiple streams of Avendyr's Pass and it looks massive, there are large undead areas, orcish areas, human areas, a whole separate orc tribe to the north near what looks like Amberfaet. There is an outdoor mini dungeon for the bandits that they did. It could be an actual combined Karana equivalent, with more content density and less wasted space.

I guess as we see more streams we will see just how large some of these zones, especially the outdoor ones really are.

• 1Like