Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess they can wait until beta to develop major parts of the game, but that isn't usually how it works. Generally, you don't go to beta until the content and features you intend to launch with are in place to be fixed and optimized.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Defensive/Offensive targeting was in the game before anyone had ever thought of the Bloodmage. It was in there when I joined the team in early 2005. I thought it was one aspect of Vanguard that newer games might take as I felt it was a great idea.

Interesting, I always assumed it was because of the bloodmage / disciple healing. I always wondered why games didnt use it more after Vanguard, its such a nice feature making everyone active. Tanking in Vanguard was also very fun with reactives, interrupts, and especially so when they added more of a spell casting flair to the DK. It felt really good as a tank being in control of my mitigation spikes with Vanguards reactive / chain system.

Its a shame even the Vanguard style Diplomacy and Crafting went nowhere. Vanguards crafting was their own class, if they had better implemented the raid drop materials by making the constructed item better than normal it would have gone a long way. Ikik even added a raid in which crafters were needed which was cool just poorly implemented. Diplomacy buffs were massively overpowered for the effort it took to obtain them pre-raids but the system was fun as hell, playing a card game to gain a towns favor and gain their buffs was awesome. It was a great way to get people on before raids to play the card game for buffs and prepare for the night.

Another huge thing ive mentioned before my guildies loved doing was the Necro pet skinning raid mobs for the rare pet skin. Whoever came up with that idea was a genius, giving more carrots that make people enjoy their time more and force them to be social is a good thing.

Pantheon developers should really take a look at Grinding Gear Games business model and story. People here including me are like LOL someone spent 1k on pre-alpha for Pantheon but in reality I've spent thousands supporting Path of Exile because I believe in the game and the way that company manages their game. Constant communication, constant expansions every 6 months, constant updates and class tweaking, and a multitude of other really good things. I seriously hope Pantheon's team turns into something like GGG's story.

Grinding Gear: Kiwi studio goes from garage to global gaming powerhouse

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Adinirahc

Trakanon Raider
Given Brad and Smed's relationship, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Amazon ends up funding a large portion of this game at some point. Maybe they already have. Would make a lot of sense for both parties. Especially as they look to really ramp up development.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I would think that if Amazon was going to invest into a MMO they would require that they use their lumberyard engine.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Given Brad and Smed's relationship, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Amazon ends up funding a large portion of this game at some point. Maybe they already have. Would make a lot of sense for both parties. Especially as they look to really ramp up development.
Amazon will let you keep things you want to return sometimes, but they don't throw money away. Fucking idiot.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
New World I believe. I dont think anyone has heard anything out of it in awhile.
i know executive producer on that, he wont tell me shit other then, when we are ready to have eyes on it, he will let me know and hoook me up invites to the game for me and my clan. So, just sit back and wait lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
A demo trailer leaked a few months ago on the New World game. Seemed like a potential investor demo. Nothing major, but yeah.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
The challenge of EQ was not about knowing how to do something, but in the doing. The information has always been available for the 99.9% who aren't on the top of the curve.

Er, I'm not sure what game you played, but Allas certainly wasn't spoiling relevant endgame content with strats when EQ was relevant. The information most certainly was not available for relevant endgame content through at least Velious, and I want to say through Luclin as well. Drops and some raw info? Sure, but not full on strat/phase walkthroughs like WoWhead and other modern games. Which is what one of the options of what will happen if they have a year long beta in this day and age.

And really, the challenge of EQ was having time and being there first. The more college kids in your guild, the better your odds were of beating others to the punch, simply because not having consistent responsibilities or places to be for 8+ hour chunks out of the day, or being able to go to sleep/wake up whenever you wanted, contributed heavily to your ability to beat others to content. And in the content denial game that Pantheon is attempting to be, it is going to be the same level of importance. The content wasn't hard outside of a couple of fights, it was knowing where shit was and how to kill it before others so you could keep it on lockdown until someone else figured it out and could match your schedule. Both of those things are either going to be learned during beta by the whales or spoiled before release. That is going to make how much time you have and when you can play even -more- important.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Er, I'm not sure what game you played, but Allas certainly wasn't spoiling relevant endgame content with strats when EQ was relevant. The information most certainly was not available for relevant endgame content through at least Velious, and I want to say through Luclin as well. Drops and some raw info? Sure, but not full on strat/phase walkthroughs like WoWhead and other modern games. Which is what one of the options of what will happen if they have a year long beta in this day and age.

And really, the challenge of EQ was having time and being there first. The more college kids in your guild, the better your odds were of beating others to the punch, simply because not having consistent responsibilities or places to be for 8+ hour chunks out of the day, or being able to go to sleep/wake up whenever you wanted, contributed heavily to your ability to beat others to content. And in the content denial game that Pantheon is attempting to be, it is going to be the same level of importance. The content wasn't hard outside of a couple of fights, it was knowing where shit was and how to kill it before others so you could keep it on lockdown until someone else figured it out and could match your schedule. Both of those things are either going to be learned during beta by the whales or spoiled before release. That is going to make how much time you have and when you can play even -more- important.

For most players, all the information they needed was there. Early EQ strategies were basically complete heal your tank and maybe have X resist or stand in a certain spot. Most raid info was available, and virtually anything you wanted to know about group or quest content which is all most people cared about anyway (only a tiny fraction of people raided).

I'm all for them preserving a sense of mystery, and think they should rope off things that don't need to be tested, but trying to suppress information in 2020 will be futile.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Er, I'm not sure what game you played, but Allas certainly wasn't spoiling relevant endgame content with strats when EQ was relevant. The information most certainly was not available for relevant endgame content through at least Velious, and I want to say through Luclin as well.
Even with Luclin. Back when we were heading into the SSRA mines, we (Tide @ Tunare) were acting on a bunch of possible hints about Emperor Bane weapons. Nobody knew about them (or at least nobody was talking, and we were moderately confident we might be the first guild on Tunare to figure it out).
Sure, but not full on strat/phase walkthroughs like WoWhead and other modern games. Which is what one of the options of what will happen if they have a year long beta in this day and age.
Part of it was competitive exclusion. If your competitors could capitalize on your hints, and snarf the spawn, you were SOL. Once your guild no longer needed it, why not. But if talking meant your guildmates might lose the spawn for their key access or your guild might find the Emperor down tomorrow... you were not talking.

You needed your guild, there were limited opportunities to defect, (and if you pissed the big guilds, at worst, you had to reroll and spend half a year levelling from scratch on a different server), and what someone else did meant you could not. Those are powerful motivators that reduce the flow of information.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even with Luclin. Back when we were heading into the SSRA mines, we (Tide @ Tunare) were acting on a bunch of possible hints about Emperor Bane weapons. Nobody knew about them (or at least nobody was talking, and we were moderately confident we might be the first guild on Tunare to figure it out).

Part of it was competitive exclusion. If your competitors could capitalize on your hints, and snarf the spawn, you were SOL. Once your guild no longer needed it, why not. But if talking meant your guildmates might lose the spawn for their key access or your guild might find the Emperor down tomorrow... you were not talking.

You needed your guild, there were limited opportunities to defect, (and if you pissed the big guilds, at worst, you had to reroll and spend half a year levelling from scratch on a different server), and what someone else did meant you could not. Those are powerful motivators that reduce the flow of information.

It was more like Ukerric posted here, some stuff was out there but overall things were very secretive strat wise. We got the world first Quarm and PoTime clear in TR and we spent what felt like weeks at Vallon Zek in PoTime wiping. Dannin and I were actually talking about how it was a struggle back then in TR and even though it was a long time wiping, that difficulty is what gave you a sense of accomplishment. Nothing to the extreme side like WoW Mythic where you need hundreds of pulls to learn an encounter but still enough to make it feel like a big accomplishment.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

LOL I remember one time FOH/ Furor posted some update about killing emperor seru and it was the first time after the changes etc. to key or whatever it was- and he mentioned something in the post about their leet strat and positioning- I actually /t him in game and he was like oh lol, just hitting from behind is more ac mitigation etc for dps... I mostly put that in there to troll other guilds etc thinking some super leet strat

• 1Worf