Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You want AI that is *smart* in a way that saves you (the developer) having to hard code content and enable reuse of content in novel ways without recoding and retesting. In other words more automation of basic (a fixed level of competative mob *inteligence* to guarantee base level play experience) rather than an increase in inteligence that affects the difficulty of challenge to the player. The AI needs to provide unpredictable richness of variety of play @ a natural feeling & just challenging enough to be fun (to player) difficulty without predictability.

AI is a bit of a misnomer in a sense for what is needed in MMOs to improve mobs, it is better automated, simple fantasy context, behaviour modeling than inteligence
This is easy to say but over 9000% harder to implement and balance. If this was a thing, then it would of been a thing already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
@a_skeleton_03 shower thought but if we are supposed to be the next big pantheon forum why don't we change the name of the Pantheon thread to the actual name of the game so people can find it better on the googs?..

I mean the apostrophe joke was like a year ago.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
@a_skeleton_03 shower thought but if we are supposed to be the next big pantheon forum why don't we change the name of the Pantheon thread to the actual name of the game so people can find it better on the googs?..

Are the names no longer riddled with apostraphes?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

We aren’t like that, we are staying who we are. We are just going to try and interact more.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

How do you constantly propose the shittiest ideas ever?

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
We aren’t like that, we are staying who we are. We are just going to try and interact more.

Once you get us all alpha access well pretend its a real game and split into 5 forum guilds to raid the one newbie zone and claim the top pantheon guild of all time title. After making up raids in Vanguard for 2 years when they didnt exist I think I am prepared for this approach.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

5g6yI8u.gif

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Im sure the MMO atmosphere could benefit from some AI. Interactive NPC's in towns and such should have some very clear cut goals for the AI to follow. Always wanting to keep food on the table, regardless if it was eaten or taken by a player - the NPC may go out and barter for some, go out to the orchard for some apples, or if the NPC saw the player take it - whip his ass/get the guard. But to put smart AI on just every single monster NPC out there? No thanks times a million. Little puzzles on how each monster works in order to defeat them is fine. Super evident and fun in Witcher 3 when you had to use basic strategies and such for each type of monster. If Smart AI was to ever be implemented upon an NPC monster, I would sincerely hope that its a rare scenario and not a monster we have to deal with all the time in monotonous situations.

You are actually proposing a place to use it where it is least useful.

What purpose does an NPC going to the store to buy something from another NPC serve? NPCs derive no pleasure from interacting with each other and if there are no players around either they are just taking up resources for no purpose.

Furthermore you don't need complex AI to do any of what you described, just a couple of simple triggers with a couple of simple scripts. There is no "AI" as other people are talking about involved.

Age of Conan actually had a complex system of ticking needs for NPCs where they would try to satisfy those needs and run scripts based on trigger points and so on. You probably didn't notice any of that (assuming you played) because no one else did. Hidden motivations are just that, hidden. So the net result of this complex system running behind the scenes to generate NPC actions from the player point of view was to make NPCs occasionally randomly wander around. You can have the same result without all the bullshit for a lot less effort.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Even heavily scripted mobs are a pain in the arse let alone AI. In eq2 (probably same in wow etc with the scripts) some of the avatars or high end raids meant you had to sit people as their class was worth shit on an encounter and they could be undoable if you didn't have the archetypes. So AI just seems bollocks unless it can conjure up the myriad of players it encounters and makes itself beatable in some meaningful way.

I'd be playing for a couple hours a day probably, I don't want the mobs to be Kasparov level hard thanks.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Who convinced you guys that Pantheon was going to have westworld type AI in it? Mobs are going to be EQ level dumb in this and you know it.

• 3Like