Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I never said this game would be the next WoW, but the complaints about the graphics while the game is in pre alpha are ridiculous. People bitched the same amount early on when WoW was being made, then the game released, and everyone just shut the fuck up. If it releases with the same graphics and animations they're currently showing, then that's obviously going to be a huge problem. However, there is still a shit load of time to smooth out both.

• 1Salty
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What are you talking about? WoW's stylized graphics were one of the first things they worked on and finished and they changed very little, if at all, during the entirety of its development cycle.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dracula's Crew

Molten Core Raider
I believe they stated Alpha is delayed until 2019. Its safe to assume beta 2020 and game release 2086 where I can just teleport in game and finally have sex with my halfling wife.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
With 2008 graphics. Of course, by then, one of these hipsters will consider it cool. Thankfully, I'll be dead before I can tell them what dipshits they are.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Alphas generally have most of the world and game fleshed out, this is supposed to turn it around in a year?

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
We done setting Brad up for competing with a billion dollar company while he's in alpha?

• 1Salty
  • 1Worf

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
I never said this game would be the next WoW, but the complaints about the graphics while the game is in pre alpha are ridiculous. People bitched the same amount early on when WoW was being made, then the game released, and everyone just shut the fuck up. If it releases with the same graphics and animations they're currently showing, then that's obviously going to be a huge problem. However, there is still a shit load of time to smooth out both.
Brace yourself: The expectation that there will be huge changes to the art style are naive.

I know people don't like to hear that, but it's true. They do not have the time, nor the manpower/money to re-do large portions of the world. They will be extremely fortunate to have the three continents worth of zones done for a Winter 2020 launch, at their current/expected pace.
And given how badly they estimate their milestones, I'm being overly generous.
Animations and particle effects will see some tuning, but beyond that, this is what you're going to get. If people don't like it, they don't like it. Next game-- not the target demographic.
Models -may- see some tuning, but it will be slight. They do not have a full Animation Department with 20+ animators all just waiting to hand rig 8 playable races plus an unknown number of NPC races. That depth does not exist, currently nor will it until years after launch, and only if it's successful. Each playable race will likely have one major content-animation pass, at best, before launch, if similar past products are any indication.

History has demonstrated using the customer-repeated excuse line of "It's just pre-pre-alpha, it's just pre-alpha, it's just alpha, it's just beta, it's just launched" will get you exactly one thing: A very crappy product. The devs are big boys & girls, they can defend themselves. Defending bad crap gets you more bad crap. Constructive and Destructive criticism will get you a product refined by fire.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
I know people don't like to hear that, but it's true. They do not have the time, nor the manpower/money to re-do large portions of the world. They will be extremely fortunate to have the three continents worth of zones done for a Winter 2020 launch, at their current/expected pace.
And given how badly they estimate their milestones, I'm being overly generous.
Based on current progress I think that they should scrap the other two continents for launch and just focus on the one. I think that's the only realistic way this thing gets out the door. The longer this drags on, the more likely they are to have team members abandon ship and the less funding they'll have available to them. Unless they're going for the Star Citizen model of perpetual development.

History has demonstrated using the customer-repeated excuse line of "It's just pre-pre-alpha, it's just pre-alpha, it's just alpha, it's just beta, it's just launched" will get you exactly one thing: A very crappy product. The devs are big boys & girls, they can defend themselves. Defending bad crap gets you more bad crap. Constructive and Destructive criticism will get you a product refined by fire.
It's not just a pre-alpha though. It's effectively a tech demo that they are using as a tool to lure in more crowd funding. Considering that the objective of the tech demo is to build as much excitement as possible for the game by showing it in the best possible light, we can assume that what they are showing us is the best of what they got. And if this is the best of what they've got so far, that's not exactly a great prospect for the game.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am good with this. Is the Enchanter a complete copy of the EQ Enchanter? Yup. Completely, and this is a-ok.

Even now, all these years later, I still use the in-game name of my EQ Enchanter and still feel a pang of remorse that I haven't been able to play anything like him int he past 20 years.

Enchanter being the same is awesome, games have tried to replicate the OG enc and fell flat. Design decisions like leaving some classes close to EQ would allow them to focus more on combat or fleshing out more of the world.

The last thing we want honestly is Pantheon rushed, it will just be another VG dead within a week of release because of exploits and being unfinished.

• 2Solidarity

Dracula's Crew

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed the summoner reveal however the ability to summon dire beasts that are KoS at the auction house will be frustrating.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Brace yourself: The expectation that there will be huge changes to the art style are naive.
This is very very true.

They are locked in for the art style unless they want to delay this by 5 years or more.

The only thing that might change is models/animations for the PC's and NPC's . Those are probably fairly placeholder (maybe not the animations).

The world though is probably as stable as it is going to be without a Luclin style upgrade midway through the games life cycle. The amount of time being spent on getting these zones built up and looking good isn't placeholder material.

This isn't a negative really just something that people need to realize sooner rather than later and stop saying "you know this is alpha right and the art style isn't set in stone".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Some raid footage from the alpha:

Yp29V.gif

• 9Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
This is very very true.

They are locked in for the art style unless they want to delay this by 5 years or more.

The only thing that might change is models/animations for the PC's and NPC's . Those are probably fairly placeholder (maybe not the animations).

The world though is probably as stable as it is going to be without a Luclin style upgrade midway through the games life cycle. The amount of time being spent on getting these zones built up and looking good isn't placeholder material.

This isn't a negative really just something that people need to realize sooner rather than later and stop saying "you know this is alpha right and the art style isn't set in stone".
But the graphics don't rock and Brad said this is going to rock.

Sevens

Log Wizard
This is very very true.

I have never once said anything about the art style, in fact I do believe that what you see is what you are going to get. My point was that the Character models and animations were going to be improved. I mean if you watch the stream the players are just ghosting above the floor and sliding around...That will be fixed, that is what I am talking about. The lack of impact when a PC hits an NPC, that will be fixed....and if items such as those are not fixed then yeah this game will die in a fiery crash.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vanguard had those same animations from the go as well, where some abilities would swing and then you'd hit 2s later. It's probably the same here and just the way animations are to make up for the slower paced combat we're seeing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My point was that the Character models and animations were going to be improved.
MIGHT be improved, you could even say probably. Not anywhere near as definite as your statement though.

You aren't the only one that has that opinion though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user