Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Think about how bad and minimal modern EQ expansions are, then remember they make one every year, and that content is still more game than Pantheon has put out in 7.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
get
Holy fuk, I woke my wife up laughing at this one.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

That would be us.
"Big Err, we need to you tank this dungeon tonight!"
"Guys, I can't even feel my face I'm so drunk!"
"Err, we need ya bro. This game only has one dungeon so far."
" Ok, but this will get ugly and don't blame me when we wipe."

"Hey, guys let's just use that exploit that lets us keep moving left after the loading screen until you fall through the floor to the boss. The exploit kills him so Err doesn't even have to stop drinking."
"Hell Yeah! This game is almost better than EQ except it has almost no content!"
"Let's drink to that!"

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
1 dungeon per 2 years. No way will people end up bumped up against end game.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Excuse my ignorance here but how hard can it be to create dungeons?

I mean, EQ launched with some absolute beauts and it was only in development for around three years.

Even now with a skeleton crew they manage to add them to their annual expansions.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, yeah, but EQ took at most three years. Started development in '96 and launched March '99.

There's no reason to believe if it wasn't developed twenty years later it would take any longer.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Well, yeah, but EQ took at most three years. Started development in '96 and launched March '99.

There's no reason to believe if it wasn't developed twenty years later it would take any longer.

Comes down to two things:
1) a lack of talent onboard from the tech side for a majority of the game's lifespan. they had amateurs working on it, not full-stack 20 years exp generalist engineers / programmers. most of the talent they had were designers & artists from many years ago. they aren't 'up to date' on all of this great tech.

2) they now have the talent they actually need, they need to see if the tech side will allow what they brainstormed on top of a mountain of technical debt from inexperienced engineers working on the game. and they need more engineers in general still, but it's a good start.

From a development perspective, consider 2021 the first year they're actually working on something that isn't just a vertical slice for a video demonstration.

And yes. It's incredibly wasteful. Not defending them in the slightest. But they at least have a small chance of seeing it completed now... moreso than 5 years ago when fuzzy trolls were being considered.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
1) a lack of talent onboard from the tech side for a majority of the game's lifespan. they had amateurs working on it, not full-stack 20 years exp generalist engineers / programmers. most of the talent they had were designers & artists from many years ago. they aren't 'up to date' on all of this great tech.

2) they now have the talent they actually need, they need to see if the tech side will allow what they brainstormed on top of a mountain of technical debt from inexperienced engineers working on the game. and they need more engineers in general still, but it's a good start.

From a development perspective, consider 2021 the first year they're actually working on something that isn't just a vertical slice for a video demonstration.

And yes. It's incredibly wasteful. Not defending them in the slightest. But they at least have a small chance of seeing it completed now... moreso than 5 years ago when fuzzy trolls were being considered.

• 4Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Has there been some huge talent influx I missed? Because the discussions and videos look just as cringy and unprofessional as they have the last 6 years.

I’m not trying to shit on them but the dungeon video with Cohh was the best looking gameplay one I’ve seen so far and that was in 2016. Has something changed?

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Has there been some huge talent influx I missed? Because the discussions and videos look just as cringy and unprofessional as they have the last 6 years.

I’m not trying to shit on them but the dungeon video with Cohh was the best looking gameplay one I’ve seen so far and that was in 2016. Has something changed?
They hired someone (Kyle Olsen?) who had at least some experience from an indie side. As someone who went into industry in 2015 and then went from CSR to programmer 'up the chain', I'd rather have him on the project than someone with zero drive to get things done.

I spoke with someone there years back when I was job hunting in 2014 and it didn't seem like they really had a direction they wanted to take from a tech perspective (UI/UX, systems engineer, gamplay engineers, generalists, etc), but had plenty of people ready to come up with ideas, art, and I assume they had legal/HR staffed by that point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users