Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Feels real good
EQ and UO's pvp worked tolerably well in spite of (and more likely because of) the minimal design effort initially put into them. Any time I hear that a dev is paying special attention to the subject of pvp, I know the end result will be dogshit.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wizard was a top dps in POP up till time at least? And good with Garrisons in Luclin? No?

Velious? Shall we consult Thott's writings?

Kunark definitely top tier.

Wizards were the worst dps class outside of boss fights in pop. They were laughed at for ldon dungeons. Even for bosses, in GoD in era they were relatively weak once your melee got weapons out of ikkinz and maybe zoo, but admittedly a lot of guilds didn't do this in era. On TLP servers everyone does and wizards become bad in gates and stay bad until sof.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wizards were the worst dps class outside of boss fights in pop. They were laughed at for ldon dungeons. Even for bosses, in GoD in era they were relatively weak once your melee got weapons out of ikkinz and maybe zoo, but admittedly a lot of guilds didn't do this in era. On TLP servers everyone does and wizards become bad in gates and stay bad until sof.
I remember never accepting wizards to groups unless it was a guildy and no one else was around. I think it was just a perception thing. They weren’t like really bad dps or anything but they were strictly dps and they did it all while just standing in one spot. Like you couldn’t tell if they were doing anything unless you were parsing. At least a rogue was stabbing the mob and looked busy. They should’ve gave wizards some kind of minor group dps buffs like added elemental damage or something to make people like them more.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Quad solo, pbaoe group. Still kangs. Did you not pbaoe group?
Actually yeah. I had a friend who had a wizard bot. He’d run around on his main and gather up a bunch of alien shit in some luclin cave. Bring it back and AE it. He’d run this loop for hours on end and let me afk/hang out and BS while I leeched AA from it. It was slower than a group but was something effortless to pass the time while watching TV and shit.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Quad solo, pbaoe group. Still kangs. Did you not pbaoe group?

Right, that lasted until ldon. At which point wizards were the worst group dps class, and continued to be worst or near-worst group dps class until sof. You can't quad or pbaoe points for augs, but you could (until recently) manaburn vanilla and kunark raid mobs for plat! Can't do fuckall for gates progression or 505050 augs or bic, but you can port to barindu!

Pantheon class balance has all the signs of being even more busted than eq1. Or, it'll be perfectly balanced, because they don't finish any extra classes.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The uber wizard in the graphs was probably Tsien. An amazing player, almost perfect attendance, and probably the best geared in the world at the time. I only got near his damage on Xegony as a necromancer.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
As someone who played a wizard, I can say truthfully we were gimped for almost the entirety of EQ. Yeah, if you could get into the Plane of Fire before it was camped, you could set up an awesome AOE group with a few wizards, a chanter, and a few other classes, but outside of that, it was almost impossible to get into a group that wasn't with guildies. We had Porlos' Fury at the end of SOV that did 2k damage to dragons and couldn't be resisted, but man, between spells being resisted, fizzles, and running out of mana every 10 seconds, we were a liability in any exp group. I mean, maybe if you were deep in a dungeon somewhere and wanted to have evac as a safety net, maybe put a wizard in your group, but rogues did way more dps, and never had to meditate.

Wizards sucked, and fuck EQ for making us suck. We should've been rewarded for our shit hit points and armor.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Wizard was by far the worst. Druid wasn't great but in groups without mages the DS actually added a good amount of dps. When you do the math on the mana regen you realize how bad it was. Based on the mana regen of a wizard over a night in a single target xp group they can sustain about 70 dps in luclin, maybe 80 by pop, that is just absolute trash

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
As someone who played a wizard, I can say truthfully we were gimped for almost the entirety of EQ. Yeah, if you could get into the Plane of Fire before it was camped, you could set up an awesome AOE group with a few wizards, a chanter, and a few other classes, but outside of that, it was almost impossible to get into a group that wasn't with guildies. We had Porlos' Fury at the end of SOV that did 2k damage to dragons and couldn't be resisted, but man, between spells being resisted, fizzles, and running out of mana every 10 seconds, we were a liability in any exp group. I mean, maybe if you were deep in a dungeon somewhere and wanted to have evac as a safety net, maybe put a wizard in your group, but rogues did way more dps, and never had to meditate.

Wizards sucked, and fuck EQ for making us suck. We should've been rewarded for our shit hit points and armor.

I feel ya. At least on my mage I could sic my pet while meditating, so I'm contributing *something* or at least look busy enough. Hey they did buff you that one time by removing the spell book in your face while you meditate! /tease

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
They're good on most of the bosses until they start partialing lures in sky. Not sure that lures should be partialed for the classic timeline if they are capable of landing on said sky target.

Wizards can kite bees with tflux which is very useful too in sky.

Way too much to get into for multitasking with work calls right now.

Last edited: