Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

dizzie

Triggered Happy
At the moment it looks a bit too slow, they have time to balance it I guess.

The UI does look a lot better, but the thing you have to ask yourself is how well is this game going to look in 5 or maybe 10 years when it's released. You can see the work they are putting in, but it's such a mammoth task to make an MMO. At the end of the stream you see some outside areas that are incomplete, the zone looks quite large.

People say the art's the easiest and fastest part of development, if your worlds absolutely massive it's still tons of work to build it and then populate it cause otherwise you'll end up like VG where the world had parts that felt like shit it as it's a barren wasteland.

At least we are getting to see an MMO actually being made via regular updates, that part is quite interesting and kudos to VR for sharing their experience as most people wouldn't.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
At the moment it looks a bit too slow, they have time to balance it I guess.

The UI does look a lot better, but the thing you have to ask yourself is how well is this game going to look in 5 or maybe 10 years when it's released. You can see the work they are putting in, but it's such a mammoth task to make an MMO. At the end of the stream you see some outside areas that are incomplete, the zone looks quite large.

People say the art's the easiest and fastest part of development, if your worlds absolutely massive it's still tons of work to build it and then populate it cause otherwise you'll end up like VG where the world had parts that felt like shit it as it's a barren wasteland.

At least we are getting to see an MMO actually being made via regular updates, that part is quite interesting and kudos to VR for sharing their experience as most people wouldn't.
They HAVE to share it to make money.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jeff Butler talks about Brad's MMO design philosophy - "Don't ask for a map... bitch learn the dungeon". Made me laugh.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I wholeheartly agree about maps. Fuck maps, fuck data mining shit.
I always thought it would be cool to have a cartography skill where maybe you'd have a fog of war type map that expanded as you explored but REAL rudimentary and as you skilled up or spent more time in the zone it would start populating more landmarks and allowing notes and things. Maybe a tradeskill could focus on it and allow more detailed maps to be sold by players and allow things like exp bonuses or resource bonuses from higher level maps/cartography skill. Maybe add dmg vs mobs within the zone the higher the map/skill level?

I dunno. I just feel like it could be a pretty cool addition if done well. Could be pretty cool for achievements too as you'd want to explore areas in order to complete your maps, maybe can't skill up a particular map unless you've seen 90% of the zone or something like that.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I always thought it would be cool to have a cartography skill where maybe you'd have a fog of war type map that expanded as you explored but REAL rudimentary and as you skilled up or spent more time in the zone it would start populating more landmarks and allowing notes and things. Maybe a tradeskill could focus on it and allow more detailed maps to be sold by players and allow things like exp bonuses or resource bonuses from higher level maps/cartography skill. Maybe add dmg vs mobs within the zone the higher the map/skill level?

I dunno. I just feel like it could be a pretty cool addition if done well. Could be pretty cool for achievements too as you'd want to explore areas in order to complete your maps, maybe can't skill up a particular map unless you've seen 90% of the zone or something like that.
That would be a fine implementation. A minimap that is part of the exploration is cool. Most minimaps dissuade from exploration by giving you paths and waypoints on it, making you beeline for whatever objective you are tracking.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Please don't get the vaccine and let natural selection take its course.

• 2Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Trust me I won't.

How's our Bradmads today?

Still pessimistic as ever about immersive MMOs succeeding?

I know I can count on you.

These kinds of games that feature exploration and real learning run against your grain so hard. I love seeing this drag on.

• 1Repost
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Trust me I won't.

How's our Bradmads today?

Still pessimistic as ever about immersive MMOs succeeding?

I know I can count on you.

These kinds of games that feature exploration and real learning run against your grain so hard. I love seeing this drag on.
The year this and Star Citizen are coming out is going to rock.

• 1Worf
  • 1Weird Boner

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There can be a happy medium for sure. Having a full map/HUD of a place you've never visited never made sense. But once you've been somewhere or bought a map from a cartographer then I'd expect to not have to run around going /loc /loc /loc /loc /loc like the good ol' days

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There can be a happy medium for sure. Having a full map/HUD of a place you've never visited never made sense. But once you've been somewhere or bought a map from a cartographer then I'd expect to not have to run around going /loc /loc /loc /loc /loc like the good ol' days
I just don’t like the mini gps that points you to your destination. You stare at that and miss the world. Make it so you’re following scent trails like in Witcher 3 if you need to hand hold that badly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user