Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd settle for him and the other devs becoming active on their own Kickstarter and in threads like this one. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to know about too!
smile.png
The lack of follow through is maddening with these guys. Talk about how passionate you are to build this game for the players, put up your kickstarter then disappear. Maybe my definition of passionate is off-base, but I would assume nearly every member of this new company would be on the kickstarter having a blast, chatting it up with their backers, and watching the money roll in.

For a bunch of smart guys they sure can be stupid.

The lack of follow through is maddening with these guys. Talk about how passionate you are to build this game for the players, put up your kickstarter then disappear. Maybe my definition of passionate is off-base, but I would assume nearly every member of this new company would be on the kickstarter having a blast, chatting it up with their backers, and watching the money roll in.

This is why I brought up the fact earlier that I don't believe Brad has ever backed a Kickstarter before. Or if he has, he hasn't done many. Running a Kickstarter is an exhausting and intensive process for the creator. It takes constant monitoring and a lot of promotion. It's not magic. It takes sweat and tears and long nights. If Brad had backed a dozen projects instead of zero, he'd know more about what it takes and his own Kickstarter would have been better for it. Plus he would have built a network of successful creators on Kickstarter that would have sent their fans over to his project. But as it stands, he seems to be a Kickstarter novice and it's really showing. Kickstarter is not an ATM where you just go withdraw cash. It's a social network, a community. And it needs to be approached as such.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

I'm telling you, the CEO is currently a chair. Brad and co. have to hire an actual manager/ceo if they want to get this thing shipped. They are a bunch of smart frat boys that need someone who can instill a little discipline.

With the demise of Trion's San Diego studio there has got.to be at least one exec around they can hire to fill up excel spreadsheets, make sure schedules are met and ensure the coffee pot stays full.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I don't know about that. Both are pretty long in the tooth, there just isn't other options. That said, pantheon is probably more likely to appeal to vg players than eq players based on the limited combat info.
Then we need to work on that. The game is a mix of EQ 1, VG, and some cool modern ideas... overall more EQ 1 than the others, though that's in the eye of the beholder (great game, pardon the pun).

Aradune_sl

shitlord
This is why I brought up the fact earlier that I don't believe Brad has ever backed a Kickstarter before. Or if he has, he hasn't done many. Running a Kickstarter is an exhausting and intensive process for the creator. It takes constant monitoring and a lot of promotion. It's not magic. It takes sweat and tears and long nights. If Brad had backed a dozen projects instead of zero, he'd know more about what it takes and his own Kickstarter would have been better for it. Plus he would have built a network of successful creators on Kickstarter that would have sent their fans over to his project. But as it stands, he seems to be a Kickstarter novice and it's really showing. Kickstarter is not an ATM where you just go withdraw cash. It's a social network, a community. And it needs to be approached as such.
Actually several people from other projects have already contacted us, asking how the can help. We're listening and keeping these dialogs open.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The development team's first task should be to stop mkopec from running the Dan joke into the ground before the weekend.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Brad is Damned if you do, damned of you don't. You guys hung him (myself included) when he was that super stoked dude fist pumping vanguard. You guys (me included) told him to stop all the BS hype machine and just make a game. Now do you really want him to go all bat shit crazy on the hype machine. I say yes!
That's because he forged a golden calf and told everyone that raid drops in Vanguard would include a blow job from the current playmate of the month. There is a difference between "hype" and "insight". Brad needed to sit down, play with the engine, and then come up with a set of modest, but realistic goals for his game. Then he needed to carefully right up a PR document going over that list, bounce it off some people to figure out some questions that might be frequently asked--and answer them through clarifying his original points.

If he doesn't know enough about the design they want yet to explain a rough outline of his intentions--he shouldn't have made the KS yet (I think he does, maybe). Otherwise, he needed to be able to really explain how he intends to do something, like say; add in downtime in a way that's fun and beneficial. He could spend 15 minutes of a video on JUST that question. And all you need to do is answer 3-4 modest but broad questions like that, with some depth and you'd have an enormously more satisfying experience than shotgunning and hoping dog whistled ideas stick.

I said it right after Brad posted, he is dog whistling. It's an effective pitch when you're crowd is desperate for the product already and will design the "best" answer in their mind. It's not really a good pitch to anyone who is going to be discerning though--because after a little while, those people are going to realize you said a lot about nothing (Because they won't care enough to make answers up based on your small leads.) Like I said then though, I can see wanting to be cautious about setting a path they can't alter from, but really--expect to talk about some philosophical choices you're making.

Aradune_sl

shitlord

We're on it. It's a lot for 10 guys, but we're doing our best and getting better and faster at responding and interacting with everyone.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Then we need to work on that. The game is a mix of EQ 1, VG, and some cool modern ideas... overall more EQ 1 than the others, though that's in the eye of the beholder (great game, pardon the pun).
No. Significantly more important for Visionary to hire its CEO/Project Manager. Do that now and you will save yourself years of trouble. You and your team are great designers (even silius did a good job on vg crafting) but you are not project managers.

The secret to success is knowing what you can and can not do. And acting on that knowledge.

We're doing a better job now delegating tasks during this deluge of feedback and comments. You'll see a lot more from the team now.
Actually several people from other projects have already contacted us, asking how the can help. We're listening and keeping these dialogs open.
This is all excellent to hear, and it makes me glad I backed at the level I did.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
We're on it. It's a lot for 10 guys, but we're doing our best and getting better and faster at responding and interacting with everyone.
It's a good sign that you guys are on it...don't get down, and stick with it..some of these peeps here have great points and views.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Glad to see you are aware of it. I'd suggest recruiting Troy_Costisick as much as he's willing to help with (He's basically been running your Kickstarter comments section already), and take the Kickstarter advice he's been suggesting in this thread. Everything he's saying is spot on.