Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

AmberT._sl

shitlord
The people doing a lot of the complaining are all people who have backed the project. You can't post on a project on Kickstarter unless you backed it, so it's not like naysayers are saying nay. Those of us who care are just letting it be known that we're concerned for the project. And look at the complaints:

1. You've limited the amount of cash that can be donated to around $900k that seems risky when you goal is $800k, and also why have stretch goals that go almost to $7 million?

2. There's been over 170 comments on the KS page, why has only 1 come from the dev team?

3. The videos seem to contradict a lot of what Brad has said here or elsewhere, how does that square? And could you maybe do something about it?

I don't think raising those questions is unreasonable.
This is how I felt, but things seem to be getting better. In for 150 for now.

AmberT._sl

shitlord
For me it's a test to see how he handles the next 39 days. I've pledged 250 and plan on sticking with it. It could go up though , or be pulled completely which I am sure lots of others are thinking also of both options , preferring to back even more.

If he chats it up more everywhere from here to Massively to name whatever other cesspool of a gaming site you want the next month , along with other team members , constant updates on the KS site and comments from any of the team , genuinely and excitedly pushes the game , it should fund well over the 800k. Again if I was in his position I just can't imagine not wearing myself out talking to everyone who would listen everywhere and making sure my other team members were also. Jacobs would post on massively and mmorpg threads constantly himself and directly interact there as Brad does here some , but did it many , many times a day , every day while his KS was going on. Constantly.

If it's like the past 24 hours , where finally one update , more excitement from fans and Troy seems like more of the dev team than the dev team does itself on the KS thread , easy enough to pull the backing on the last day.

Which is the last thing I want to do , I want to be irritated because he introduces a higher tier with some nice physical swag that I can't pass up and bump up to.

He doesn't have to answer specific mechanic questions with any certainty , but he does at least have to act excited about the game.
It has been great to have Troy linking on that KS comment board and answering questions. At least there has been a little clarity. Count me as ine who will pull my pledge if Brad goes silent a lot during this campaign..

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bumped my contribution to $250.

With that being said, this hasn't been quite what I expected. I would have expected Brad to follow Richard Garriott's lead and latch on to the last title that made him successful and build upon it. Shroud of the Avatar is a real spiritual successor to Ultima Online and Garriott makes no apologies about it. Whether you like his game or not, he's going all out to cater his game to his audience... even to the point of doing crowd sourced development. That's why some of Brad's decisions are so wierd....

• I don't get the lore. It sounds like a Planes of Power expansion and not a core game. What's wrong with just making a normal High Fantasy world, like EverQuest, as your baseline? I feel like they're over-compensating for the less than fantastical world of Telon that Brad had with Vanguard.
  • First we have Norrath, then we have Telon and now Terminus? The world name is awful. Same goes for the continent name Celestius. Really?
  • Those screenshots are worse than terrible. Nevermind they are using stock assets bought off the Unity webstore, what is up with the cartoon "Slash" and the minimap?! Do you even know who your audience is?
  • The KS site is weak on content. I'm betting this improves over the next week or so. I expect to see more details/content about this game and how it caters to this community, specifically, how is really challenging?

I can't help but feel this was a real missed opportunity. I think they could have made their lives a lot easier had they invested more time in the KS site, understood their core audience's expectations, and had perfected their sales pitch. From the video and their commentary, there seems to be way too many abstract ideas and not enough concrete details. It comes off as just being unprepared and, when you're asking for investment, that's not the position you want to be sitting in. I really hope, over the next month, they can straighten it out but my expectations are pretty low.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Xax yeah I would have preferred straight fantasy to Planescape as well.

Brad must have really liked that setting to name his first company after it, and set his third mmo in it.

bigdogchris_sl

shitlord
He's pretty spot on. A lot of those mechanics are due to very simple gameplay and programming that is very sandbox like. Games, and mmo's in general, are far too scripted at convoluted levels. Just give us an enemy, give it some AI that matches the type of mob (caster/undead/runs when low hp/etc) and give it loot to drop. Throw us unto the world and we'll take care of the rest!

I'm not saying "No" to scripted raids or dungeon runs at all, I just mean thateverythingdoesn't have to have some big script attached.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Kicked in for this. I was somehow invited to early alpha in VG and remember trying to run it on my Athlon 3800/NVidia 6800 GT - good times running open world dungeons with some of the guys who designed them.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Brad you need to clarify tiers language - "all previous reward tiers" could be interpreted to give people at the Warder level 4 digital copies of the game.

You should explicitly list all rewards at each level.

Also fix the least resistance typo.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Good find! My favorite:
10. ?Knowing? a zone.

This last one is the most nostalgic and hardest to explain. Back in early MMO?s, ?knowing a zone? was important. In part its because we didn?t have in-game maps, in part it?s because travel took longer, in part it?s because zones were more complex. You needed to learn a zone to thrive and that?s just not the case anymore.

Sure, I ?know? Haukke Manor in Final Fantasy XIV (or any number of similar instances in other modern MMO), but it matters little that I do. There are a handful of patrols and a couple of boss-fight mechanics to learn, but it can be learned in a single run and knowing it only gives you a slight advantage over not knowing it.

By contrast ?knowing? a dungeon like Mistmoore Castle or Lower Guk in EQ means a lot more. It means you know where the safe spots are, you know where the respawns are, you know where adds are likely to come from. It may be, in part, that EQ dungeons are much narrower and that EQ monsters nearly always start fights by stunning you (causing your camera to spin in circles, a definite nausea check!). But even with maps in EQ, it?s easier to get your position confused and getting positionally confused is one step away from bad things happening!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brad needs to get into the old EQ and VG email database and send a mass email. Get this bad boy funded...

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Kickstarter really pisses me off. A lot. It's a great idea for the new people, indie devs, etc or people with little money but great trying something awesome. It's another thing entirely when people who can fund their own projects choose crowdfunding so they don't have to put a lot of their own money at risk yet reap all the returns of the final product. It's like the city of Dallas buying the stadium for Jerry Jones. I'm surprised I'm one of the few people that feel this way.

bigdogchris_sl

shitlord
Million dollar question:

The Kickstarter meets it's goal and maybe make a bit more (say 1.5M). They get offices, further develop the prototype, get to Alpha, then realize they need more funding. SOE offers to pick them up. Brad ask the forums "what do you guys think?"

Go.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Million dollar question:

The Kickstarter meets it's goal and maybe make a bit more (say 1.5M). They get offices, further develop the prototype, get to Alpha, then realize they need more funding. SOE offers to pick them up. Brad ask the forums "what do you guys think?"

Go.
Brad wouldn't ask.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Million dollar question:

Go.
Ohh boy.....lol