Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well if there are blacks in Pantheon I'm damn sure not going to play it.
EddardStark.jpg

Freaking money is crawling today....slow progress. I am glad I am not Brad, the suspense would suck.
By the 4th day, things tend to really slow down on Kickstarter. VR will have to add some new tiers, add some special add-ons, and/or do a big interview someplace heavily trafficked in order to get back to the numbers we saw in the first three days.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I think designed downtime means medding from good encounters and planning on how to tackle certain areas/mobs. That's what I got when I read between the lines.

Nobody wants EQ downtime. I hope not anyway.. But some of my favorite down times were after a fight that taxed all our resources and we almost wiped. That equal good downtime
Convo, you are the voice of reason.

Vandraad_sl

shitlord
Yep, I think similarly. Factions are a wonderful facility for gameplay. Bring them back and have them matter. Hell, I'd go so far as to make spells and abilities faction-specific. Dark Elves for example tend to be good with stealth - have a superior form of stealth tied to dark elf npc's - if they like you, you can learn it. If not...then the rogue/stealth-associated character must decide what matters more to them.
Yeah, it was. It meant there was actual consequences for doing stuff. It brought the world alive. I hope Pantheon puts that kind of attention to detail into their NPCs as well.
The world has to be built to support an interesting faction system, with lots of races, starting cities, and factions being connected in an interesting manner where Races, Classes and the political landscape makes sense.
EQ1 factions were all about every action having a consequence even one that might not impact you until many levels later. You just do not see games which allow the players to make a decision who's consequence isn't directly applicable to the immediate situation. When you killed an NPC had read the list of who thinks better or worse of you sometimes you just scratched your head when the names were completely unknown to you. Short term actions having long term effects is brilliant.

I do think however that some (not all) faction standings should be fixable by some means though repairing ones horrible standings with a given faction should be a time consuming and difficult process. After all, you're trying to convince a group that all the slaughter and mayhem you've committed against them for years should be forgiven. That is one tall order.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The designed downtime worries me some. I always want to punch people in the face that use this word, but I have to say I think the downtime is something that has to arise organically from the game world and not be a heavy handed implementation.

The good way to put in downtime is increasing the stealth elements of gameplay in the 'player versus world' concept. In other words requiring timing and care in splitting mobs, avoiding unnecessary encounters, and laying out a plan of attack (in other words, a period of 'mentation' that encourages social aspects and also will be a nice break from the general repetitiveness of combat).

Downtime should also be a negotiable element, one which can be chipped away at by the right group who knows what they're doing. This will happen naturally if downtime is implemented in the above manner.

Bad downtime would be stupid shit like incredibly and needlessly long recast/reuse timers on important combat or healing spells, or other artificial design implementations which are clearly the only to forcibly prolong your downtime, and which cannot be avoided by any means.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ikik I saw you are working on this !!!! If you have an account on here PM me, would love to catch up

Saw Tiraslee is also a dev? Thats pretty good news, he designed some fun raids back in the day

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Tweets
PantheonRotF ?@PantheonRotF 3m
#PantheonRotF Q&A vid 2 is going up a bit later today. Anyone excited for the new infos? #WantTheVision

Jooma_sl

shitlord
Has anyone talked about quest delivery yet? I really liked in EverQuest when people would have to use /say to talk to the NPCs. To me it just felt more engaging then seeing a bubble pop up with task over NPC heads. "Blah Blah TL;DR Kill 10 Wolves". Not as fun for me as npcs randomly saying "I really hope thoseWolvesdon't come back!"

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Talking about factions, I agree that the original EQ got it better than any game since. I loved the changing of 4-6 factions depending on who you kill. With some of the kills, you had no idea if that kill was a good or bad thing in the end. It adds to the game when factions aren't black and white and your actions could sour your relationship with one side of an relationship without damaging the other. For instance, the wood elves would hate you while the Order of Fansy would still consider you neutrally. Becoming an outlawed exile from your own people was a very good option that added to world building.

Vandraad_sl

shitlord
Has anyone talked about quest delivery yet? I really liked in EverQuest when people would have to use /say to talk to the NPCs. To me it just felt more engaging then seeing a bubble pop up with task over NPC heads. "Blah Blah TL;DR Kill 10 Wolves". Not as fun for me as npcs randomly saying "I really hope thoseWolvesdon't come back!"
Not just using /say, but actually coming up with the key phrase to ask. Though to be honest most were triggered by using the 5 W words of who, what, where, why and when. Mostly 'what X' worked. But still, it was far better than just spamming the enter key to blitz through bubble chat you cared dick about because it would all end up in your quest journal anyway. Which, I hope, does not end up in Pantheon. Well, at least not an automatic quest journal capturing all the quest details but rather a notebook where we fill it in ourselves. Yeah, glutton for punishment here.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I disagree, that wasn't engaging, just another tediousness. Yes quest interaction could be made more immersive, but not going through the 5 Ws with bracketed words.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question about Kickstarter in general. The money I pledge, does it check to see if I am capable of paying that amount prior to the ending date? If not, what stops everyone from pledging insane amounts and then lowering at the last min? Sounds like a good plan if you want to get people to jump on board. The closer it gets the more people will jump on the gravy train.