Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Kickstarter is basically someone pitching an idea to you and asks you for funding to get it off the ground.

If the target is reached then the money is taken from the backers and transferred to the project team (after Kickstarter have taken their cut). No guarantees are made from KS or the project team that there will actually be a end result so you just have to take their word for it that the project will get delivered eventually.

If the project fails then you are SOL in terms of getting your investment back

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There were some crazy stories about the women that worked on Vanguard........
Lol I remember the Butler thing but I don't recall the rest.. We might need start a rickshall thread for the women of vangaurd so we can get the scoop..

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So someone that follows Kickstarter more than I do...Aren't the kickee's supposed to deliver on what they promise? If everyone, including Visionary Realms, agrees that $800,000 is just the start and won't fully fund what they are advertising, does that not go against the rules of Kickstarter?
The rewards in the backer column are generally not actually the "product" they have to produce to get yo moneys. Pathfinder Online got its kickstarter money to make an MMO, but the only thing they are actually obligated to produce is an adventure path booklet/digital download, since that's the only thing they listed in their product portion. If they never actually make an MMO, all the backers who backed for MMO widgets get diddly, outside of their copy of that adventure path.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I think what Brad needs to do is shit out a quick zone and physically show people wtf he wants to do. About a year ago I signed up the $100 for the Hero engine. That thing is sweet for garage developers like myself. Once ya get the hang of wtf you can do, you can shit a zone out in a matter of hours. Mountains, cliffs, rivers, it totally possible. I know for a while there they were offering ALL the art assets they used for Heros Journey for $5k. That was a fucking STEAL, it really was. But I don't think they are offering it anymore.
I've been looking at why Camelot Unchained was so successful all day and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they were able to produce something tangible, something MMO fans could physically see, get them excited for. Now if me, a total newb at designing a game from a developers chair can shit out something in a couple days, I'm sure these guys who've worked on major titles could do 100x better then me. Show people what your thinking. Let them see on a monitor what you want to do and you will triple your investors.

Just my opinion.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think what Brad needs to do is shit out a quick zone and physically show people wtf he wants to do. About a year ago I signed up the $100 for the Hero engine. That thing is sweet for garage developers like myself. Once ya get the hang of wtf you can do, you can shit a zone out in a matter of hours. Mountains, cliffs, rivers, it totally possible. I know for a while there they were offering ALL the art assets they used for Heros Journey for $5k. That was a fucking STEAL, it really was. But I don't think they are offering it anymore.
I've been looking at why Camelot Unchained was so successful all day and I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they were able to produce something tangible, something MMO fans could physically see, get them excited for. Now if me, a total newb at designing a game from a developers chair can shit out something in a couple days, I'm sure these guys who've worked on major titles could do 100x better then me. Show people what your thinking. Let them see on a monitor what you want to do and you will triple your investors.

Just my opinion.

I agree.. that's why I wanted to see a dungeon plus a concept map of the dungeon.. But who's to say that isn't coming? I think they are gauging the backing by how much the release and how soon..

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Merlin CU had a ton more pre kickstarter marketing, some major pvp guilds interested and a more organized kickstarter page/better video.

There are a lot of people who will contribute if they can be informed of the game.

Also who went and shat up the MMO champion thread? Made every supporter look insane, thanks -_-

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Kickstarter is basically someone pitching an idea to you and asks you for funding to get it off the ground.

If the project fails then you are SOL in terms of getting your investment back
Thanks for the warning losing my 250 investment is going to destroy my retirement plans. Maybe I should just blow it on roulette and girls in Vegas. Oh wait, 250 doesn't even pay for a crappy night in Vegas.
rolleyes.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Thanks for the warning losing my 250 investment is going to destroy my retirement plans. Maybe I should just blow it on roulette and girls in Vegas. Oh wait, 250 doesn't even pay for a crappy night in Vegas.
rolleyes.png
Oh, I could make $250 produce quite a bit of fun in Vegas, I assure you.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
rolleyes.png
He/She/It was just answering my question. Stop being such a fanboy douche.

So someone that follows Kickstarter more than I do...Aren't the kickee's supposed to deliver on what they promise? If everyone, including Visionary Realms, agrees that $800,000 is just the start and won't fully fund what they are advertising, does that not go against the rules of Kickstarter?
I wish I had some good news for you, but I don't. There's been cases where the goods were not delivered. Some, the creator disappears. Others maintain the fa?ade that they are still trying. Here's a couple examples:

They Became Flesh: A game of God, Humanity, and the Fallen by Elizabeth Shoemaker Sampat Kickstarter

Dwimmermount: An Old School Fantasy RPG Megadungeon by Autarch Kickstarter

I agree.. that's why I wanted to see a dungeon plus a concept map of the dungeon.. But who's to say that isn't coming? I think they are gauging the backing by how much the release and how soon..
Yeah, even just a concept art map would be awesome. Even if it's a lowbie dungeon like Crushbone or Befallen.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I wonder why they didn't opt to use the Hero Engine or something? Unity is good, but I've always heard it was hard to make an MMO in Unity.

Hero Engine + Storybricks would make things pretty easy I'd imagine.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I wish I had some good news for you, but I don't. There's been cases where the goods were not delivered. Some, the creator disappears. Others maintain the fa?ade that they are still trying. Here's a couple examples:

They Became Flesh: A game of God, Humanity, and the Fallen by Elizabeth Shoemaker Sampat Kickstarter

Dwimmermount: An Old School Fantasy RPG Megadungeon by Autarch Kickstarter
Any name cache I still have would be obliterated and I would have to work at McDonalds
smile.png