Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Aradune_sl

shitlord
I wonder why they didn't opt to use the Hero Engine or something? Unity is good, but I've always heard it was hard to make an MMO in Unity.

Hero Engine + Storybricks would make things pretty easy I'd imagine.
I'll ask my lead engineer for the details, but if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think you can get the source code for the Hero Engine, and we won't use an engine that doesn't allow us to modify the source.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Brad, hire me and there can be crazy stories about the "women that worked on Pantheon". lol i should have my cs degree in about 3 more years
wink.png
There are certainly far fewer women in the game industry than men, but this is rapidly changing, which is fantastic. When I was at SOE back in 96 there were very few female developers. There are many more now (but still not enough IMHO).

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I'll ask my lead engineer for the details, but if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think you can get the source code for the Hero Engine, and we won't use an engine that doesn't allow us to modify the source.
HeroEngine Source Code

If you're interested in just the HeroEngine source code, we have various licensing models available depending on your financial needs. The basic HeroEngine source code license is $75,000 with a 7% revenue share. Contact us for more information.
- See more at:Licensing Options | HeroEngine

I wouldn't want to share either

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't see any issue with the idea of pledging and kickstarter as a whole. There is risk just like with anything else. But it's one thing to risk 45, it's something else with it's 250. I mean, 250 is 250, with the risk of getting either a) zero return due to the game not coming out or b) the game coming out with a much different idea than what was conceptualized due to a variety of factors (money, time, resources etc).

I guess it's all about hope. Problem is there has been hope before in this genre of games. Many times over. Sometimes you're just tired of getting burned. But damn it would be cool if this became a reality, even half realized. It will still never replace EQ, that's impossible. But it still be nice to see the vision of that game with new tech, with some modern elements thrown in.

Any name cache I still have would be obliterated and I would have to work at McDonalds
smile.png
I would never accuse you of something like this, Brad. The tabletop RPG world is entirely different from the video game industry. I was just answering the question. I'm not the least bit worried, and I've backed at a very significant level.
smile.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Also Hero Engine games don't look that good ;-)

Aradune_sl

shitlord
HeroEngine Source Code

If you're interested in just the HeroEngine source code, we have various licensing models available depending on your financial needs. The basic HeroEngine source code license is $75,000 with a 7% revenue share. Contact us for more information.
- See more at:Licensing Options | HeroEngine

I wouldn't want to share either
Yep that was it. $75k and 7% revenue just wouldn't work for us.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
There are certainly far fewer women in the game industry than men, but this is rapidly changing, which is fantastic. When I was at SOE back in 96 there were very few female developers. There are many more now (but still not enough IMHO).
Nope. I had a plethora of people tell me I should get a nursing degree...for no apparent reason other than I am female...

Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand:
As CCO, are you getting your hands dirty with this?? As in, are you working on it and down in the nitty gritty?
Or is your role in this more of an overseer for the project??

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Nope. I had a plethora of people tell me I should get a nursing degree...for no apparent reason other than I am female...

Anyhoo, back to the subject at hand:
As CCO, are you getting your hands dirty with this?? As in, are you working on it and down in the nitty gritty?
Or is your role in this more of an overseer for the project??
One of the cool things about being a smaller team is that we all wear different hats and it's all hands on deck. Time permitting I definitely want to jump into Unity and create some content.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
I don't see any issue with the idea of pledging and kickstarter as a whole. There is risk just like with anything else. But it's one thing to risk 45, it's something else with it's 250. I mean, 250 is 250, with the risk of getting either a) zero return due to the game not coming out or b) the game coming out with a much different idea than what was conceptualized due to a variety of factors (money, time, resources etc).

I guess it's all about hope. Problem is there has been hope before in this genre of games. Many times over. Sometimes you're just tired of getting burned.
Not really taking issue with you, but commenting on the difference between $45 and $250. It's all relative. I cut a business trip I have coming up an extra evening I was going to stay over to kick in for this (in other words, a very small sacrifice on my part). Someone else might cut out a dinner and a movie (or even just a movie). Nobody should be putting up money that they can't afford to lose on most Kickstarters.

This will be my 12th or 13th KS project as well another half dozen Indigogos on top of that and I can't say I've had any trouble with any of them. Even if this doesn't happen, I can hope someone notices there's at least a bit of interest (if it continues) and I felt compelled to at least put my money where my mouth has been. I've already been "voting with my wallet" by not buying many MMO's over the last several years. That's apparently not good enough. If I'm out the cash I'm out the cash. At least I can bitch righteously.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Brad you should visit the mmo champion thread to undo the damage some crazed fanboy did.
A grand total of 3 pages regarding Pantheon? I wouldn't waste Brad's time. Time is money for the next month and mmo champion just isn't worth it. A bunch of trolls. NO ONE could change their minds anyway.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
One of the cool things about being a smaller team is that we all wear different hats and it's all hands on deck. Time permitting I definitely want to jump into Unity and create some content.
That's good to hear! Make it so!
wink.png

Not really taking issue with you, but commenting on the difference between $45 and $250. It's all relative. I cut a business trip I have coming up an extra evening I was going to stay over to kick in for this (in other words, a very small sacrifice on my part). Someone else might cut out a dinner and a movie (or even just a movie). Nobody should be putting up money that they can't afford to lose on most Kickstarters.

This will be my 12th or 13th KS project as well another half dozen Indigogos on top of that and I can't say I've had any trouble with any of them. Even if this doesn't happen, I can hope someone notices there's at least a bit of interest (if it continues) and I felt compelled to at least put my money where my mouth has been. I've already been "voting with my wallet" by not buying many MMO's over the last several years. That's apparently not good enough. If I'm out the cash I'm out the cash. At least I can bitch righteously.
Yea I think for me, it's worth the risk bc I believe in what they're trying to do. And if it fails, well at least I did what I could do right now to support the vision. I have no regrets.
tongue.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
A grand total of 3 pages regarding Pantheon? I wouldn't waste Brad's time. Time is money for the next month and mmo champion just isn't worth it. A bunch of trolls. NO ONE could change their minds anyway.
2,900 views.

I disagree, that's enough people to be worth Brad's time, especially with a potentially interested Moderator.

Heck, I've posted on the EQMac forums about the game ;-) And those are dead forums for the most part.

Edit: And there are trolls everywhere ;-) Here, Reddit, MMO Champion, Etc.

Edit2: And remember there's a big difference between you or I chiming in on the thread and Brad "Aradune" McQuaid. Gamers love talking to developers, even ones they profess to dislike. It makes them feel important.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yep that was it. $75k and 7% revenue just wouldn't work for us.
No loss, having worked with hero engine, you would have completely gutted it and wrote your own anyway. There is a reason why Hero's Journey never shipped.