Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
WoW has a color con system, its just better integrated than making you type /con to use it.

I am all about some rose colored glasses but lets not pretend con was a better system than just coloring their nameplate with the difficulty. Or that either system was really all that good, both them were pretty shit at telling you how hard something was, it just gave you a rough idea of the level range.
Should completely remove the con system and constantly put in mobs that are way out of your league.
357820.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm pretty sure we've hit reddit -- will double check.
With reddit, it's less like a forum and more like an IM session. You'll want to have you and a few other devs (maybe even a technical/code/engineer/server guy) plan a time to all be on, answering questions. Plan it ahead. Advertise the time. Then a bunch of people show up, get info, feel like they're hanging out, etc. More like a chat session or conference call than a forum, though. You can't just post and be done, have to dedicate a few hours to having a conversation.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
ok..I want to early test, I want cool name in forums, but I want keep myself at the $500 package....any way we can work that?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Brad that new 250 tier needs clarification. Does it include the lifetime sub of the other 250 tier also ? I'd assumed no , otherwise it trumps that tier at the same price and no need for it until these new 500 run out.

Also, very little people are going to give you the 35 dollar 3-4 year ahead of time preorder with zero anything early. Either drop it to 15/20 or add beta access to it with no other perks. The 45 then gets you alpha plus game and so on.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The 20 is for beta, no game. The 35 is for game, no beta, the 55 is for game + beta
Actually the 45 dollar pledge already gives you alpha and beta (since beta is in Seekers pledge). The 55 dollar pledge does give you exactly nothing extra compared to the 45 dollar pledge. You may want to look into that.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So I'm a 250 lifetime sub member now , and am going to change to a 250 paragon instead. But I'd be willing do add 100 for a 350 paragon + the lifetime sub. Just seems odd they missed out on this being a tier of folks obviously interested enough to go 250 lifetime would pony up a bit more for very early stage development access while keeping lifetime sub.
Part of it is a failure on KS. You can't select multiple tiers. So stand alone stuff is great, but often just fragments and angers the people already on board. They should do exactly what you propose. Have the 'stand alone' added to a tier at a higher pledge. If someone wants just the stand alone, great. If they want the stand alone AND the regular pledge stuff in that dollar range, they can combine them in a way to pay more to get more and aren't feeling discouraged and like they cant get what they actually want.

jilena_sl

shitlord
The designed downtime worries me some. I always want to punch people in the face that use this word, but I have to say I think the downtime is something that has to arise organically from the game world and not be a heavy handed implementation.

The good way to put in downtime is increasing the stealth elements of gameplay in the 'player versus world' concept. In other words requiring timing and care in splitting mobs, avoiding unnecessary encounters, and laying out a plan of attack (in other words, a period of 'mentation' that encourages social aspects and also will be a nice break from the general repetitiveness of combat).

Downtime should also be a negotiable element, one which can be chipped away at by the right group who knows what they're doing. This will happen naturally if downtime is implemented in the above manner.

Bad downtime would be stupid shit like incredibly and needlessly long recast/reuse timers on important combat or healing spells, or other artificial design implementations which are clearly the only to forcibly prolong your downtime, and which cannot be avoided by any means.
I think the way it worked in EQ was pretty good. Downtime to a degree was a juggling of resources. If you were in an awesome group with an effective class makeup downtime was pretty minimal for everyone but the healer. The sitting for 10 years and then dropping a CHeal thing was just too effective. Honestly though I think a LOT of people actually liked that.

You had health and mana bars that could be depleted very quickly and effectively took a long time to replenish. If you pulled too many mobs you were sitting forever catching your breath. Pull to few you have surplus resources and exp is slow and people are bored. Finding that sweet spot where you were fighting just the right amount of NPCs to drain your HP and mana resources at the same speed they were being replenished (i.e. the cleric could med enough for the next cheal before it was needed) let you essentially always be fighting. If a bigger pull was necessary you could pause a second and get some buffer in for the next batch.

In a group this wasn't too bad at all. Solo, I don't know. My necro was obviously fine but medding to rez a bunch of people on my cleric made me want to slam my face into my keyboard repeatedly.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Part of it is a failure on KS. You can't select multiple tiers. So stand alone stuff is great, but often just fragments and angers the people already on board. They should do exactly what you propose. Have the 'stand alone' added to a tier at a higher pledge. If someone wants just the stand alone, great. If they want the stand alone AND the regular pledge stuff in that dollar range, they can combine them in a way to pay more to get more and aren't feeling discouraged and like they cant get what they actually want.
That makes sense..take the $500 tier and add the stand alone stuff and charge $550? $575? - then you got something

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Just changed mine from old 250 to to new Paragon testing 250

Brad, give me a 350 option to keep the lifetime sub. You'd be getting that up front money you need more right now than my sub over a year later on.

( and yes I will genuinely enjoy early testing and interacting with the crew , as a sys engineer for years plus mmo greybeard it's right up my alley, so it was a no brainer to me.)
Ditto. Need a 350-400 tier for testing and lifetime sub.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Actually the 45 dollar pledge already gives you alpha and beta (since beta is in Seekers pledge). The 55 dollar pledge does give you exactly nothing extra compared to the 45 dollar pledge. You may want to look into that.
Unlimited v. Limited tiers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is pretty cool, but like any high level description of a cleric class isn't that exciting. What makes classes exciting is the general feel of them (which is already known for a class like cleric) and very specific, class defining abilities.

For an EQ cleric you could pretty much copy the above article, add plate and at the end say, "Also you get a complete heal which probably should've never been in the game but will make it super easy for you to get a spot in a raid and make you valuable in general."

For a monk you could say all the typical monk bullshit then add, "Also you get FD which probably should've never been in the game but will let you do ridiculously silly pull splitting which is fun, challenging and hugely necessary for the kind of shit we're putting in at the high level".

For a bard you could talk shit about songs and dancing and swashbucklery but you'd add, "Also you get a speed song which probably should've never been in the game but holy balls is it fun to run at 100mph"

I don't know what point I'm making here besides jokes but the most important part about class definitions isn't how they exist on their own but how they come together and provide value in group and raid settings. Is the cleric going to be the best healer? Will it provide the best ac/health buffs? Will its pet be the strongest and provide some utility?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The Kickstarter is just confusing so it harkens back to the good old days of EQ, when all we had for spells were vague descriptions of what they did and nobody really knew the details.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
That makes sense..take the $500 tier and add the stand alone stuff and charge $550? $575? - then you got something
Want to be a pre-alpha tester? Pay 250. Want to be a full pledger and pre-alpha tester? Pay 400.

Imo how it should be for anything worth being stand-alone. Can get that alone for a cost. Cant get that packaged at a higher tier for a cost. Maybe even make both tiers dry up after the total maximum of people they want to have that stand alone are met. Then that stand-alone aspect is gone, and go back to regular tiers in that range that still offer all the other stuff.

Gotta say the unity v hero engine discussion by non developers has my vote for rerolled retarded discussion of the year. And it's only January.
Ehh most of the discussion seems pretty valid. I have used Unreal, CryEngine, and FEAR engine all in commercial products. Obviously performance is developer-dependent, but I'm a bit skeptical about Unity performance based on the games I have tried. Using the exact same laptop for all 3 games:

- Shadowrun Returns gets hiccups and sound wonkiness occasionally
- the Wasteland 2 beta runs pretty much like ass (but hey, it might be debug code)
- meanwhile, WoW in Alterac Valley 40 players vs 40 players gets 60 FPS the whole time

Not sure what they are doing to make Wastland 2 run so poorly. Even in debug mode, a top-down game with maybe 10-12 low-poly characters on the screen should not run worse than Alterac Valley 40 vs 40. Anyway, I really, really want Pantheon to succeed but worried about them being saddled with a bad engine like Vanguard is a legit concern.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Brad, remember to keep cycling between boards. You got a pledge abd a supporter from your post on mmo champion. Circle back

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Want to be a pre-alpha tester? Pay 250. Want to be a full pledger and pre-alpha tester? Pay 400.

Imo how it should be for anything worth being stand-alone. Can get that alone for a cost. Cant get that packaged at a higher tier for a cost. Maybe even make both tiers dry up after the total maximum of people they want to have that stand alone are met. Then that stand-alone aspect is gone, and go back to regular tiers in that range that still offer all the other stuff.
I want to be a pre alpha tester with all the features of the full tester in one package. As I see it (And I may be off) The $500-600-1k people lose a little something at the moment. (When I think it should be the opposite)

Wouldn't the goal be to sell out the $500+ packages way before you sell out the $250 ones?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I don't know what point I'm making here besides jokes but the most important part about class definitions isn't how they exist on their own but how they come together and provide value in group and raid settings. Is the cleric going to be the best healer? Will it provide the best ac/health buffs? Will its pet be the strongest and provide some utility?
This is why class reveals are always boring and a letdown to me. It's either not very informative, or excites the people who were planning on being that class no matter what anyway.

Also, I remember early descriptions of Blood Mage seemed different, but still very generic. Actually play a Blood Mage, though, and you're like holy shit this is highly nuanced and not generic at all.

Summaries are supposed to be summarizing and generic, though? :/

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I want to be a pre alpha tester with all the features of the full tester in one package. As I see it (And I may be off) The $500-600-1k people lose a little something at the moment. (When I think it should be the opposite)

Wouldn't the goal be to sell out the $500+ packages way before you sell out the $250 ones?
I don't think the goal would be to sell them out first. More to have each higher tier be potentially more enticing than the last, which is the major problem. There are some tiers not really more enticing than the last, some that seem backwards, and some points where people may consider dropping their pledge amount down.

If you want to be a regular pledger AND pre-alpha test, you're kinda fucked. That doesn't make sense. If they aren't planning a higher tier that includes the pre-alpha testing, or ALL of them for that matter (let people TEST the content they're helping design) they need to pretend they are, and that they just haven't updated all the tiers, yet. :p