Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter, Rogue, Paladin, Shadowknight, Shaman and Necro. Are my picks for the default classes. Tank, Heal, CC, DPS then three hybrid classes and one solo class.
You want the basic flavors so people can find something close to their favorite character. Your list has no nature class unless you consider shaman as that. It also doesnt have the big nuker (classic wizard fanboys will not be happy with enc or nec) or an archer (though ranger is stretch goal... maybe they didnt consider class flavors either). And for 8 classes it has too many heavy melee classes in the mix. I do hope they spent more thought on the initial class mix then we here do.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
really need to add druid, ranger and or wiz/mage to that list and its good to go. Then maybe introduce 2 more down the line using lore somehow. Had only 2 caster classes. Enchanter's arent going to be doing much damage and necro has absolutely no dps burst, in raids i wouldnt even fucking cast spells to clear trash mobs in raids. it was just a waste of time. lol Need a caster class that can dish out some damage.

You are doing an awesome job Troy , btw , needs to be said again, same for the other new guy who showed up with tons of links.
Thanks, Dahkoht, I know we're all trying out best to pitch in
smile.png

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Agree with this.

With respect Brad the content of the Kickstarter page isn't going to reach out to people who don't already know what to expect from the sort of MMO under consideration. Large parts of it are like an in joke, taking for granted that people understood what it's about. From the very start establish the need- what's different, what EQ or even WoW players can be nostalgic about in the days when everything is handed out free and easy. Then sell it and talk how you are going to achieve it.

I'll also throw in a couple of points that I may or may not be wrong about :

i) I wouldn't have published stretch goals ahead of reaching previous tier funding. People are intrigued to see what unlocks with tiers and that in itself is a driver to backers. I'd have started with a lower funding goal also, prolly around $200k - not because that would be the goal, but because reaching the goal early and then pushing on into stretch goals in and of itself creates buzz, confidence and impetus in and off itself.

ii) A lot of the tier rewards won't appeal to potential backers - this free tunic you're offering will probably turn out to be something special knowing you and the scene but most of todays players see items as disposable junk that is only going to last five minutes. Now if, for example, it was understood by the description of the game that loot is different in this game and the item would be of long term value - eg an evolving Fungi Tunic - that would be another matter.

The thing is here people are looking for something that is going to give them an edge, otherwise they are going to see no inherent benefit to paying now. Unlike those of us who desperately want to see this game launch the majority of folk won't invest now unless they get a lasting in game benefit that they won't be able to buy once the kickstarter closes. The EQN founders packs are a good example :EQN Landmark - Founder's PackThe majority of people are going Trailblazer, significantly they get an item that increases crit on crafting and remote vault access.

The Hex KS is a great example - check out the $250 dollar packages :HEX MMO Trading Card Game by Cryptozoic Entertainment KickstarterThey flew out the door and went on to sell for multiples of the price pledged between players, even though the game hasn't launched yet. To be fair to you the tier involving lifetime subs for $1 a year was a good move in this direction.

Again for the mount tier, you need to sell the mount. eg it's going to be the fastest in the game, unique graphics, mounts will be extremely rare, there will be no mounts in the game for a long time .... whatever. Mounts are common place now and often given away for next to nothing at a low level.

In summary you have to give rewards that make people want to give you money now by giving rewards and benefits that they (perceive they) won't be able to get once the KS ends.

One thing I would do right now is open up an unlimited $125 tier called 'The Developer Tier' with exclusive access to a developer forum on your site promising regular (daily/weekly) discussions with the devs about the games development so that people can feel like they are shaping major features of the game. Throw in that people that fund this tier will be expected to agree to an NDA.
Very good observations and some excellent advice.

I am also missing some physical swag in the rewards though I understand that this can mean a lot of work especially for a small team. However you would be amazed how much people will pay for stuff like Mini's, T-shirts with logo's, Cloth maps, Art-books, bronze coins, even PDFs. I have backed 5 MMO Kickstarters now and for 2 of them I feel that I already got my money's worth just in pyshical swag, and the digital goodies are just a big fat bonus.

The most important thing at this point is getting more backers. I think a better comparison at this point is Pathfinder Online:

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

With a steady influx of backers, we can spread that funding curve out and use the longer time to our advantage. It's key to keep tapping this reservoirs of old EQ folks.
I wonder how Pathfinder got 200k to come in the last day. Did one of the developers put in his own money?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I rather like the idea better that you're a nobody, and your only chance at being a hero is to try to salvage what others did before you. Maybe they can tweak the lore a little away from what was first over-played 'you're a hero' to what became over played again in 'you used to be a hero, so are to be a hero again' and make it more like you're a nobody, but if you can resurrect the relics of the dead then maybe you have a chance at you and your family not dying and being eaten by bad guys.
Very much this, I'd love if they can do some tweaks to the lore in general, absolutely not thrilled about it so far. Depends on how much is set in stone already I guess.

The MMO Champion Pantheon thread had some links on this...

EQ 8 Million.
DAOC was 3 million.

It goes up from there:
GW1 between 20 and 30M
Brad said VG was 30M
I've heard 45-55M for WoW.
Today's technology makes a difference. The Unity engine cuts down development costs so much because you can start building a workable game in weeks. This cuts down development time which means you save lots of $$.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Very much this, I'd love if they can do some tweaks to the lore in general, absolutely not thrilled about it so far. Depends on how much is set in stone already I guess.
I think the lore might be what I'm most pumped about...

So happy it's not another Dragon-centric fantasy MMORPG. I'm so bored with that style of lore. The possibilities for a world like Pantheon's are just so much more diverse, while still allowing for traditional fantasy.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wonder how Pathfinder got 200k to come in the last day. Did one of the developers put in his own money?
When you look at a few other MMO kickstarters you will see that the last couple of days are always huge. Has to do with people holding out till last; an extra incentive can be because existing pledge-tiers get added extra rewards, like this update PFO did 3 days before the end:Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO by Goblinworks Inc. Kickstarter

rrr_img_57121.png

rrr_img_57122.png

rrr_img_57123.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think what he was getting at was that soloing was possible in EQ even if the game wasn't designed around it. However to solo you definitely had to be on your game.

Even rogues could solo in EQ. It wasn't as efficient and convenient as with say a necro. But with band aids and later a fungi and knowing which mobs you could consistently kill, it was doable. Also incredibly boring. But doable.
Which is what I said, the only classes that could solo effectively in EQ were because of fuck-ups. Which is why they constantly tried to nerf soloing after they realized they fucked up, with dot on moving mobs nerf, with summoning, with mage pet nerfs etc. So saying soloing will be like EQ is saying soloing will be in because we might fuck up and make your abilities OP, which is misleading.

And fuck you with the fungi tunic, retarded example, it was an end game item from one of the hardest group camps in an expansion pack, it has no place being in a discussion about whether solo was viable in EQ.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
Brad/Ben I would recommend moving the "Game Summary" portion of the kickstarter home page above the Game Details and Game Tenents portion. I went back this morning to re-read the summary you are presenting and found it out of place to have to read through bullet point details before finding an overview.

It's nice to see a steady stream of backers coming in (albeit slowly). I have liked the changes done to the tiered pledges, and have backed this at the $250 level. I am still deciding between Paragon & Pathfinder since I am slightly concerned about pre-alpha burnout. I guess I should start worrying once VR gets to pre-alpha first!
smile.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Saying that the devs might fuck up and make some class abilities OP and allow you to solo is misleading people about soloing, it's wrong, sorry that is some sad bullshit Lithose, I would hope Brad wouldn't do that. Say either that soloing isn't intended and the game won't be designed around it or the mobs tuned to make it possible or say that it will be possible but grouping xp will be tuned so that it is ideal over soloing. This was true on EQ progression for example because of how SOE adjusted the level curve, they had increased it like 1000% over the vanilla curve, then for progression they put percent caps on what killing a mob could give you, so a solo player killed something and like 75%+ of the xp the mob was worth poofed because of the cap, but in a group of 5 you got the full value per kill, and essentially the same amount per kill as a solo player got.
I'm not even sure where you got this from. Here, let me highlight some portions for you.

mobs are so difficult,that grouping is the safest, more efficient way to defeat them.However, particularly skilledadventurers, with well chosen gear and spells, can challenge themselves to overcome them."

Then I spoke about how specific classes could do this in EQ, and that community of people still do this on EMU servers. Here.

See, the Dark Souls crowd are essentially the same people that were solo chanters, shamans and necros+Duo partners (Monks, SKs, Clerics ect). Pushing the boundary of what they could do by memorizing precise timings, patterns and extreme usage of their class abilities.

Then I talked about how togeneralize(IE not make them special to one class) these mistakes, and design solo as different type of meta game. Solo play should be built as more of a stealth fantasy--here. (IE it should not play the same way as the group game, it should be riskier, more difficult and less efficient--but the attraction isn't the grind, it's overcoming odds. Just like in Dark Souls.)

Bring these aspects up to your market. Tell them your game is built to be as free as possible. The mobs are so difficult that many will rely on groups. But there will be ways for the clever player to use his abilities, and his intelligence to exploit the mobs, and bring them down--making a name for himself as a "loner". Really play up the "assassin against all odds" angle. Because that's the type of game play Dark Souls taps into well, and there was MOST certainly an aspect of it within EQ.

I'm not sure what is "sad bullshit" here. The problem has always been developers trying to control every minutia in the game, rather than making the world, giving the players tools they know are balanced with everyone's tools and letting players figure stuff out on their own. I said, very specifically, that he should say "the game is designed to make grouping the best and safest experience"--However, you'll be free enough in the game that there won't be artificial limiters on how you exploit mobs.

Your bullshit about how grouping exp was tuned to specifically to punish players who thought outside the box? Is exactly whatruinedgames like EQ. It's so ironic you bring this up, because this is the bullshit that figuratively drove a spike into the games heart--controlling raid numbers, instancing, TLC/Required levels (And all kinds of other artificial "controls" on everything). Grouping should be the most viable methodBECAUSE THE WORLD DICTATES IT.Notbecause some developer has a vision and puts in some rule that makes any other method of play impossible or artificially difficult (And yes, I know EQ always had experience deficits and bonuses for groups--but they sucked, and were balanced on old table top rules that allowed for certain classes to be stronger. Next time ask a ranger if he was "stronger" than anyone.). If I join a group, it should be because it's far less dangerous and makes it far more efficient for me to kill mobs--not because some dev was like "hurr durr let me knee cap your experience even though you put in more work than a group would have".

That freedom, to explore different avenues to deal with problems OUTSIDE the intended? That's the essence of what made EQ great. And it's something developers have been learning to actively build into stealth games. Again, watch the Extra Credits video (Really everyone should). Stealth games are like a puzzle withmanysolutions. If you force everything to be one solution, then you run the same sad gambit that WoW and every other modern MMO does by trying to control everything down to the most infinitesimal level in order to make players "play your way".

And this all goes back to table top gaming. The best part of table top games is the DM's imagination was broad and powerful enough to allow for a variety of unintended strategies to be employed that create unique experiences, beyond what even he imagined. MMO's really need to try to capture that again. There is nothing "sad" about choices, freedom and agency in MMO's--what's sad is that we've traded that in for single solution problem solving (IE get bigger axe, smash better. Get new crit to fireball, burnhotter! While moving out of fire.Hodor! You see how the point of the game is now to execute a predetermined set of moves, rather than figure out "how can I, given these tools, beat this obstacle".).

Edit: And just the expound on the DM comment. Mediocre DM's wrote a story and let you partake in it. The best DM's made a world, put in story elements, and then worked with the players to create the story. It's a much more passive role, and I think developers who are able to do that? Make worlds feel very alive. They make obstacles, give players tools but then let the players create a myriad number of outcomes. Modern game developers for a lot of "power games" seem simply unable to do that--if you don't kill it the way they want you to? They nerf or change the mob ect. They change the focus of the game from overcoming obstacles, to HOW you overcome them (Their way) and I think that really narrows game design to a boring level. (And I think a lot of this has to do with the increasingly complexity of scripting..when mobs have so many variables, you have to limit the number of ways players can react.)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Which is what I said, the only classes that could solo effectively in EQ were because of fuck-ups. Which is why they constantly tried to nerf soloing after they realized they fucked up, with dot on moving mobs nerf, with summoning, with mage pet nerfs etc. So saying soloing will be like EQ is saying soloing will be in because we might fuck up and make your abilities OP, which is misleading.

And fuck you with the fungi tunic, retarded example, it was an end game item from one of the hardest group camps in an expansion pack, it has no place being in a discussion about whether solo was viable in EQ.
Yes, with fuck ups. And I'm saying go back andlookat what made those fuck ups create amazing aspects of game play--like kiting, or split pulling. And try to recreate them in your game. Try to ask yourself "Instead of designing each class to do X dps in Y setting--how about I design each class with a tool set that can accomplish a broad range of things, and see what they can do".

You get it? EQ's "fuck ups" were some of the beast aspects of game play. If you don't go back and reexamine them, then you might as well create EQ2, where everything you do is locked down, and controlled so you can't color outside the lines--because that sounds like a fun game, right? (Hint: No it wasn't.)

And I never, not fucking once, said "derp soloing will be like EQ because we might fuck up". I said the game will offer you tools and you'll be free to aproach problems in inventive ways. That should be like the core of every game, ever, that isn't some idiotic Call of Duty power circle jerk where the only objective is to kill bad guys until X number so you can collect Y loot. If you like that game? Play WoW's end game, it's exactly what you want. Every detail is controlled so you find a single solution to the problem, and collect loot. The point of this game is to get away from that. I hope at least.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Back from a night of drinking and all caught up on the 20 pages since yesterday.....

Did not see any change to the higher level tiers..$500+ , Any mention of it by Brad?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think what he was getting at was that soloing was possible in EQ even if the game wasn't designed around it. However to solo you definitely had to be on your game.

Even rogues could solo in EQ. It wasn't as efficient and convenient as with say a necro. But with band aids and later a fungi and knowing which mobs you could consistently kill, it was doable. Also incredibly boring. But doable.
Yes, and to take those lessons, especially from Solo classes--and disperse them among all classes. Give all classes "horizontal" tools that don't just add to their mob killing power, but affect the world and mobs in different ways. When you think about the "Solo" classes in EQ--they weren't powerful because they were the best DPS, or the most powerful classes. They could solo because they had the broadest amount of effects on mobs/the world. Roots, Snares, Mez, Fear, FD splits, pacify ect--these things are more than just CC, they are examples of affecting the mobs in ways outside of "reduce HP to zero".

If you want to create a modern game that draws in the Dark Souls crowd? Then you should design classes that play up things like that. Classes that are built for grouping BUT can take their tools and use them ininventiveways to overcome mobs with a VARIETY of strategies, not just one set one. And that's the main thing--giving playersfreedomwith their tools. And EQ did that. Yeah, a lot of boss mobs were immune to CC, but the most difficult part in EQ was oftengetting tothe boss mobs, not the bosses themselves. So you had these tools that worked on the most difficult parts of the game outside of huge raids (And even then, sometimes they worked--charming in the planes).

Now flip it to WoW--the most difficult aspects of WoW are the bosses themselves. So for a majority of fights, your "non-damage or healing or tanking" tools becomeuseless. You can't do anything to the boss, but what was specifically designed for in the encounter. Yeah, sometimes encounters are "designed" to let snares work, or whatever, but most of your tools are carefully controlled and only allowed to be used in a very careful plan. So your snare, roots, and a host of other controls essentially are a useful as a floppy dick on the hardest parts of the game.

EQ didn't work like that until much later in it's expansions. And it's that kind of freedom? That allowed for all kinds of interesting takes on how to do content. That, I think, is pretty amazing. And if you design a game around simpler scripting and more powerful mobs--and then give players a lot of tools, and let them figure out different strategies, I think your "world" will feel a lot more organic than if you simply give them one solution and a series of buttons to mash, in the precise order, to arrive at that solution.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I just don't see anything but a really bad name, really generic cop-out 'new world' lore, and a bunch of "yeah it will be like those old games" answers to every gameplay questions.

In essence it's fluff, but instead of the shit all the people who make WoW clones tell us, they are just telling us the opposite. I really want to hear design specifics from these so-called veterans, things that will get me excited. Paint me a picture of what I would be doing in your game, not this "group focused with a focus on groups" bullshit. Instead it's a whole lot of platitudes and buzzwords.

Tell me what old MMOs did, what new MMOs don't do, and what Pantheon does. Not 15 bulletpoints of "immersive gameplay" "a big world"

And the stretch goals are pathetic, races and classes as goals? That just tells me they have no real conviction in the world they are building and its lore
I was considering going in, but decided not to. I don't see it succeeding and matching expectations.

In my opinion the game can't be made for 800K, and there need to be more of a business plan.
If the concept was something like, we have investors willing to pay X for each Y donated in the kickstarter, i could see it working.

Also it seems to me the required passion isn't there anymore.
I'm fine with a generic world and going old school MUD. My big problem here is Jacobs and Garriot went into this full bore with tech, art, and a deep plan, as well as a sense of urgency. I don't get that feeling from this kickstarter, and I wish they had more than a weeks work done before trying to sell this.

I think Camelot Unchained and Shroud of the Avatar will both be released and I think the guys running those are dedicated to their games. This one, I'm not so sure.
I'm in for 250 here so dont get me wrong, but the opinions quoted are spot on. I dont know how much effort and planning went into the kickstarter during the last 3-6 months, but it doesnt give me a "yes, we can" vibe at all. I want this to go through, but getting the word out only helps bringing people to the kickstarter site, after that it's on the Pantheon team. I told all my friends that played EQ and the response is largely "doesnt look promising but I'll buy it IF it comes out".

You guys need to crunch and present facts conscise details instead of the nebulous statements we have so far. I bet most of our word of mouth leads to that response because the kickstarter seems unfocused and thoughtless. I guess I'm rambling but I just hope you guys at VR get it together quick because the clock is ticking.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yes, and to take those lessons, especially from Solo classes--and disperse them among all classes. Give all classes "horizontal" tools that don't just add to their mob killing power, but affect the world and mobs in different ways. When you think about the "Solo" classes in EQ--they weren't powerful because they were the best DPS, or the most powerful classes. They could solo because they had the broadest amount of effects on mobs/the world. Roots, Snares, Mez, Fear, FD splits, pacify ect--these things are more than just CC, they are examples of affecting the mobs in ways outside of "reduce HP to zero".

If you want to create a modern game that draws in the Dark Souls crowd? Then you should design classes that play up things like that. Classes that are built for grouping BUT can take their tools and use them ininventiveways to overcome mobs with a VARIETY of strategies, not just one set one. And that's the main thing--giving playersfreedomwith their tools. And EQ did that. Yeah, a lot of boss mobs were immune to CC, but the most difficult part in EQ was oftengetting tothe boss mobs, not the bosses themselves. So you had these tools that worked on the most difficult parts of the game outside of huge raids (And even then, sometimes they worked--charming in the planes).

Now flip it to WoW--the most difficult aspects of WoW are the bosses themselves. So for a majority of fights, your "non-damage or healing or tanking" tools becomeuseless. You can't do anything to the boss, but what was specifically designed for in the encounter. Yeah, sometimes encounters are "designed" to let snares work, or whatever, but most of your tools are carefully controlled and only allowed to be used in a very careful plan. So your snare, roots, and a host of other controls essentially are a useful as a floppy dick on the hardest parts of the game.

EQ didn't work like that until much later in it's expansions. And it's that kind of freedom? That allowed for all kinds of interesting takes on how to do content. That, I think, is pretty amazing. And if you design a game around simpler scripting and more powerful mobs--and then give players a lot of tools, and let them figure out different strategies, I think your "world" will feel a lot more organic than if you simply give them one solution and a series of buttons to mash, in the precise order, to arrive at that solution.
It's impossible to create that kind of game with those kinds of skillsets when they don't even know what classes are going to be in the game yet. They have what... 6 classes as stretch goals? They don't even have a design document, it's dog and pony show at this point.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It's impossible to create that kind of game with those kinds of skillsets when they don't even know what classes are going to be in the game yet. They have what... 6 classes as stretch goals? They don't even have a design document, it's dog and pony show at this point.
Maybe, but the original post was mainly talking about the goal of looking towards that aspect of EQ, in order to give them a "vision" of what kind of meta-game to make soloing in this game. Essentially it was just saying they want to recapture that spirit of one problem, many solutions, that was hinted at, but never explored, in EQ.

I just went into more detail because Cres said the idea of such freedom was sad. Which baffled me, meh. But yeah, if you design something like this, it has be a holistic thing--with all classes and the world designed together.