Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Bruman

Golden Squire
I want to know if this isn't funded, if they'll continue to work on it after-hours. Or just say "oh well!" and move on.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I want to know if this isn't funded, if they'll continue to work on it after-hours. Or just say "oh well!" and move on.
Even if it is funded, you wouldn't see a shipped title. The entire project would be managed about as good as this kickstarter.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Even if it is funded, you wouldn't see a shipped title. The entire project would be managed about as good as this kickstarter.
Still going to peddle the story of Smed as silent secret backer even though it's obvious Brad has just about nothing? Really think Smed would have signed off on nothing?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm not convinced it is a mismanagement issue... I think it might just be a case of bad taste... Did you see the screen shot they chose at the top of the KS page? The layout, the fonts, the colours, the graphics, the camera they used in the videos, the audio quality... Every single thing missed the mark.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well said. Unfortunately this forum has many trolls that do nothing but spew garbage and complain about everything. The mods here do nothing about it and let them shit up every thread they want to.
I let all the fanboys jerk each other off endless as well. Would you like to start banning everyone?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Still going to peddle the story of Smed as silent secret backer even though it's obvious Brad has just about nothing? Really think Smed would have signed off on nothing?
Yes...

Vanguard - Registration

In my opinion, Brad's in a corner. Initial Cap Ex to get something off the ground (Tech demo) to shop to various publishers. No one would take the risk. Kickstarter ensues. SOE would make a killing on the backend percentages and would know McQuaid would be in a corner and not have any other options. SOE has a way to make even the worst games profitable and throw them on a skeleton crew. Would probably be worse than the deal Schilling signed with EA for KoA, but it may ship.

Again, Brad is a good game designer. But he needs a valiant leash and for someone to hold him accountable than the usual of what we see here at times and in the real world, kissing his ass when they know better. He isn't going to get any better that way. If everyone was brutally honest, which is more now coming to light with this kickstarter, the guy would be far better off with that honest feedback then some of those posters on Kickstarter praising him for a Dark Knight Icon.

Fedor

<Banned>
reposting this since it'll probably be a better design doc than what Brad shits out during the kickstarter

jlCLqGr.jpg

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not convinced it is a mismanagement issue... I think it might just be a case of bad taste... Did you see the screen shot they chose at the top of the KS page? The layout, the fonts, the colours, the graphics, the camera they used in the videos, the audio quality... Every single thing missed the mark.
You do know that was all placeholder generic Unity art, right? This isn't the direction / art they want to go with.

Which in itself was a mess because they didn't make that clear on the KS. Hell, even now it just says "pre-Alpha screenshot". It took someone a few dozen pages back to figure out it was all generic Unity placeholder art. It absolutely gives the wrong impression to anyone at first glance of the KS. In my opinion, they would have been better off omitting those screens altogether and just use concept art.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That's a management issue. They knew they weren't KS experts so they should have sought expertise instead of going it alone, Hell second thing VR should gave done after getting a CEO is setup a guild roundtable of interested ex eq/vg guildleaders/key members and used them as a sounding board before hitting the KS.

Now in VRs defense too much deference to market research leads to the Edsel but for sure they could have gotten feedback on what the guilds needed to see to pledge.

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
As a warrior main, myself, I am kinda disappointed. I always liked the fact that War gave up all of the utillity for being the best at 1 single thing. In the end, it just led to class envy, whining, and never-ending nerfs / boosts to class balancing for everyone else. I am open to see how they implement this though. I hope there is enough contrast between the Pal / SK (DK) to make them truely stand out from one another and not just "divine nuke DD" vs "evil torment nuke DD" cookie cutter classes.
Warrior was my favorite class in EverQuest. I too would love to see an EverQuest style warrior with very few buttons in Pantheon but if that's not the vision I'm okay with that so long as what they do put in ends up working. At least your criticism of the Dark knight/Crusader class listing is more constructive than "OMG Dark knight is a terrible name". I'm pretty indifferent to what they call the classes. When I read dark knight first thing that popped into my mind was Final Fantasy; I didn't even think of Batman till someone mentioned it in the comments. If they want something more unique they could make them a revenant that is actually undead; that would be cool.

That said they could and should be doing this whole campaign a lot better but I'm not going to pull my pledge over it like others have. If they can't turn this around it wont get funded and it wont matter if I pull my pledge or not. They have great developers like Salim Grant that created Vanguard's awesome crafting system and Vu Nguyen that created some of the best zones in the history of MPOGs. If they can get the proper funding; I have no doubt that they can create a quality game. What they need to do right now however; is quit dicking around with the drip drip of information and just put as much out there as they can and do it yesterday; no more relying on crappy press outlets like PCgamer and no more mistakes. They should also revisit the pledge tiers and add some new ones and make existing ones more desirable. They have time to turn this around but only if they get their act together ASAP.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You do know that was all placeholder generic Unity art, right? This isn't the direction / art they want to go with.

Which in itself was a mess because they didn't make that clear on the KS. Hell, even now it just says "pre-Alpha screenshot". It took someone a few dozen pages back to figure out it was all generic Unity placeholder art. It absolutely gives the wrong impression to anyone at first glance of the KS. In my opinion, they would have been better off omitting those screens altogether and just use concept art.
Oh no I know.

But look at the SS. What the hell is that showcasing about the game? A generic caster model in the air... backwards? 'SLASH!'? GPS minimap? What made them see that screenshot and go 'ya, this really shows what Pantheon is gonna be all about, and it's gonna get our backers PUMPED'?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
The demand is definitely there. There has been a big response to games that are actually challenging in the last few years. Tons of indie games have gotten a lot of praise for the difficulty across all genres. More mainstream games like Dark Souls have gotten a lot of attention and success due to their difficulty. It's also impossible to ignore that 15 years later there are still thousands of people playing on EQ Emu servers.

Whether it was meant to be or not, this kickstarter has been a trial run of whether or not the 'Brad McQuaid' name alone is enough to fund a project. So far it is looking like it is not. Pantheon is just an idea, and it looks like Brad and co. rolled the dice hoping that the idea alone would be enough. If the history of the MMO market wasn't so disastrous it might have worked, but nobody's name is big enough to erase MMOschwitz. Especially a guy as polarizing as Brad.

This is the same question that I have speculated about. As it stands they haven't lost anything because they haven't done anything. They very well could have said 'let's see if The Vision alone is enough to get us started, if not back to the grind where we work now.'

The idea of entering this space with absolutely nothing to offer, no matter who you are, is delusional.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The one thing that has me intrigued about EQN is the entire storybricks and mob AI. It could be revolutionary or just totally underwhelming.