Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
too slow, sorry
smile.png

Merlin_sl

shitlord
WoW also had great marketing, great IP, great branding, etc. A lot went into WoW's success.
And having half of Japan and China chewing their arms off waiting for it didn't hurt either. But Blizzard fucking OWNS at marketing. Makes you wonder why Sony continues to be so fucking bad at it. Did it ever occur to Sony if they spend just HALF as much effort on marketing their MMO division it could be making money as well?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Shroud of the Avatar is using Unity--and, as I said earlier, they are going to he "one giant world" route with seamless phasing/servers (Like WoW recently did.)...So in essence everyone plays on the same shard, but they are phased in as it becomes less crowded or based on a set of parameters guessing their need (Like shop owners are always phased in for everyone when in the town with their shop).

It's a pretty ambitious MMO system, that, as far as I know, only Blizzard has been able to do. If they can do it with unity, it will be a pretty epic proving of it's ability to make not just an MMO but a massive online infrastructure.
I have issues with this architecture. It's essentially a glorified lobby room if you think more than twice about it. It phases you with others in the world according to certain criteria, yes: such as if the player owns a shop, is of the same guild, past history, crowdedness of the town, etc. A bunch of factors that are used to calculate whether you'll interact with this person or not.

While the tech is certainly impressive, that isn't what I'm after. What about randomness? What about pairing me with strangers that are complete assholes or want to kill me? What about pairing me with someone I have no history with, and never will? He'll just be a few pixels on the screen for the rest of my player's life.

The randomness associated without the use of phasing is superior to the calculated outcomes with it, in my opinion. I'll play this game for sure, but it isn't necessarily the type of world I envision.

Kaljin

N00b
Rerolled Kickstarter to buy Unity Engine ($1500) and some assets ($50,000) to make our own game. Anyone here a network and systems engineer? Anyone know how to code in some classes? I wonder if we can make an MMO that is based on max server population of 200.

I always wanted to get to the point where people can make their own MMOs from stock assets like old school MUDs. There's money in that I'm sure of it. I used to build MUDs back in the day. I even built a dragonlance MMO from scratch, I had done the whole world and plenty of zones. I think I build the Tower of Whatever (big paladin area? I can't remember DL very well) and had some cool scripted encounters. Ooooh memories. I think I was 17.

Pyros will design the classes, I will do project management, Lithose will be in charge of.. something. Tuco will bring the donuts and a_skeleton_03 will be in charge of trolling the kickstarter pleding $10,000 and taking it away once a day.
You joke but I'm more sure this community could put out the funds & the people to actually put out the next old school MMO then some old school vets that have work/ed in the industry.

Actually I'm certain of it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Whole article is about climatization (which sounds cool) but has this line: "It's an ambitious idea; so much so that McQuaid wasn't ready to talk about it when we spoke with him earlier this month. McQuaid isn't even entirely sure if it will work once they make the leap from the concept to player interaction on the beta servers." Heh. Commit to having it in there if you're going to hype it up (which he has considering how often he mentioned the PC Gamer article).

Lysis

N00b
Interesting, I think that would make it the first MMO to be released utilizing Unity? The important thing is that if it works well we might see easily generated MMO's from all kinds of IP's.
I suggest investing $20 in the Rust alpha to see the MMO potential first-hand. It's immediately apparent. The map is huge--though largely vacant. Even though it's an FPS, it's extremely immersive. Until you inevitably turn off the grass and jack up the gamma, that is.

jilena_sl

shitlord
I never understood why warriors had to give up all utility to be the best at something. I think a cool idea for a warrior would be a hybrid of fighter, rogue and ranger. Basically a warrior with good ranged backup abilities and a lot of melee tricks to debuff enemies.
I liked warriors (what I played in eq) a lot in terms of the "spirit" of the class. It's just actually playing them that was somewhat lacking. Especially after playing modern games. I don't want the ability spamming rotations of WoW but SOMETHING more than turning on autoattack haha.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
operation soup sandwich is now, officially, in full swing
Watching the KS thread now is going to be an amusing experiment in how to lose all sense of reality. I have't looked yet ,but I'm positive "awesome,love it,perfect,exactly what we needed" are all being thrown about.

BTW , had a lol moment at the operation soup sandwich , spot on.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
So the big reveal is Resist Gear plus a resist bonus based on the time in the zone? I am sorry I doubted this for even a moment, clearly that should be enough content that we all toss in $1000 each right now.
In the state this industry is in, it's probably worth a toss of 10k.