Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
You aren't alone. The "streamlining" has basically made recent mmo's world a moot point. They might as well have made a direct lobby game.

The medium ground should be something like a wizard or druid port (or hell an enjoyable bard running a party across the continent at Flash speed) is the much cheaper option to go. If you use some sort of built in travel system of griffon/gnome portal then it costs you substantial currency. This makes you talk with folks who are classes who can help other folks travel at least sometimes , making the "world" actually matter some and less trivial.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Pulling anything wasn't intentional. They had no idea separate groups of players would sit at a static area of a dungeon and pull mobs back to them.
To me that's the most fun part about MMOs. You get a LOT of people banging away on something and someone is bound to come up with a completely different way to go about things. Unintended gameplay is the most creative IMO from the player side. FD pulling was brilliant.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
What do the new SEC laws do to crowd-funding and this project? Cause if your only allowed to raise 1 Million a year we wont see anything anywhere near Star-Citizen like. Maybe it wont be an issues as the funding goal wont be that high.... anyway seems interesting, I think all that will happen is kickstarter and companies will have to "be based" not in the USA to avoid this law.

Heres a link to the new laws.
SEC Proposes Crowdfunding Rules - Forbes

Any predictions on funding targets?
I think this has to do with kickstarters that include selling shares of a company.

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
I think this has to do with kickstarters that include selling shares of a company.
Ok that makes more sense.

Got it ... No to ripping people off with shares but were good to go with virtual swords and XP buffs
smile.png

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I hope you guys sent some good ones in for the first round, I had a few ready to go but never got around to sending them and he'salready donefor round one. Bad news for me because I've got so many questions, good news for him because there's obviously an interest, unless it was like three of you guys sending tons of questions. More questions will be answered later, so I'll try and hit round two.

I really want him to address the subscription method and a couple of other things that may or may not get asked. I can bank on people asking difficulty, raiding, instancing, grouping, PVP questions, etc. and I'm sure those will get answered. Hopefully somebody pressed him about the scenario where the Kickstarter doesn't get funded. Is all hope lost or will he continue press forward? How about all the ridiculous, silly shit we see in MMOs (particularly F2P). I don't mind fun Easter Eggs like "Aradune is Stinky" but when my bow shoots unicorns or I see stupid pop culture references, it's so fucking annoying. What about in-game map system? BoP or BoE items?

I'd also like confirmation of no WoW shoulderpads, but I think that'll get addressed, too.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm just ready for this Kickstarter to be up so we can get a clearer picture. Hopefully they'll have their tech decision made, really anxious to see where they land.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Faction stuff, that's what I want to hear, too.

On subs, I think if he wants this to be successful, Brad will rock a subscription model. It's one thing to go all AAA mainstream where the pack forces you to conform and go F2P. It's another to appeal to the old school days of no cash shops or fluff item bullshit. I can accept some level of that in major MMOs, but microtransactions in a game like this wouldn't fly at all. If you're going to connect with your target audience, keep that shit out.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, I don't like the micro-transaction model. I've read the studies and i'm sure they stand to make a ton of money but I just want to pay for a game and let that be the driving force. I don't want any development time whatsoever to go toward decorative items or meaningless gear with pretty particles. If something is cool, I want to work my butt off to get it. I want to raid or camp or whatever. If they get the game perfect and the expansion has a dedicated team then you can play with cloaks or whatever but ultimately it is giving candy to a kid who just wants attention.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
If Brad says my name after reading off one of my questions im going to need someone to turn that into a gif

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I wonder what the status is right now? Is Brad meeting with his peeps everyday? Is he working 8-10 hours a day? Do they have a studio/office? Or is he sitting at home drawing stuff and writing out his potential Kickstarter. I cannot get a read on where he is in all of this..

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I wonder what the status is right now? Is Brad meeting with his peeps everyday? Is he working 8-10 hours a day? Do they have a studio/office? Or is he sitting at home drawing stuff and writing out his potential Kickstarter. I cannot get a read on where he is in all of this..
rrr_img_48625.jpg

napkin phase.

Rhuobhe

N00b
Its funny how you guys think he has offices/studio already set up.

Brad is probably working from his parents house. He is coordinating our future using metro pcs and stolen wifi.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, I don't like the micro-transaction model. I've read the studies and i'm sure they stand to make a ton of money but I just want to pay for a game and let that be the driving force. I don't want any development time whatsoever to go toward decorative items or meaningless gear with pretty particles. If something is cool, I want to work my butt off to get it. I want to raid or camp or whatever. If they get the game perfect and the expansion has a dedicated team then you can play with cloaks or whatever but ultimately it is giving candy to a kid who just wants attention.
/agree

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Its funny how you guys think he has offices/studio already set up.

Brad is probably working from his parents house. He is coordinating our future using metro pcs and stolen wifi.
Lets fucking hope so. Sick of watching these new-age-open-concept-collaborative-office-developer diaries where people expend more passion decorating their desks with lame ass action figures than producing quality games.

iannis

Musty Nester
Pulling anything wasn't intentional. They had no idea separate groups of players would sit at a static area of a dungeon and pull mobs back to them.
You didn't do that in muds. In muds you ran the zone.

It says a lot they expected their game to be played that way. Most xp zones in muds repoped in 30 seconds if they were empty. Basically they were just tinkering with the idea without any idea, or even any plan, about how the changes they were making were going to effect the core gameplay.

They weren't developers. They were SysOps.

You didn't do that in muds. In muds you ran the zone.

It says a lot they expected their game to be played that way. Most xp zones in muds repoped in 30 seconds if they were empty. Basically they were just tinkering with the idea without any idea, or even any plan, about how the changes they were making were going to effect the core gameplay.

They weren't developers. They were SysOps.
Lol haven't seen the term sysop since the old days when I ran BBSes. Good memories
smile.png