Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You must be thinking of just Warcraft. World of Warcraft was pretty much always an MMO from concept to launch.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Ha I play on a private vanilla wow and you know how many times I see people join the server, who have never played vanilla, and say wtf this isn't wow, its too hard. It's always a good laugh for those of us that did play eq, vanilla wow and other games.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
So it started development not only years after EQ, but in all likelihood, after EQ even released in May 1999. Wasn't the lead dev on WoW the former guildleader of Legacy of Steel? I forget his name, but not Tigole. This argument is stupid. I'm not sure anyone can say that EQ didn't heavily influence many aspects of WoW.
There were multiple Blizzard people playing on The Nameless from day 1. Ariel was guild leader of LOS back in 99/00. That was Rob Pardo.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
On the positive side, if the KS fails maybe this back-alley-abortion of a thread will end up in the shaw where it belongs.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
WOW is what happens when a competent company creates and runs an MMO. I may not like the game or what it did to the genre, but I have mad respect for what the game was, what it accomplished, and how damn professional Blizzard ran it. You would think after getting curbstomped by WOW Sony would have learned a thing or two about running and advertising an MMO. But no, they have not.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To say that EQ was not a smash hit in the days of gaming computers costing $2K and internet connections not even reaching 50% of homes in the US at the time, let alone the world is a fucking fool.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
You must be thinking of just Warcraft. World of Warcraft was pretty much always an MMO from concept to launch.
Actually not really. Believe it or not, it spawned from the cancellation of Warcraft Adventures - an old adventure game which was to follow the story of thrall.

I definitely agree that EQ's mistakes heavily influenced WoW design.

I also think that WoW's mistakes will heavily influence a new Diku-Mud and bring us full circle.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
The more I think about it, the more I think Pantheon has too much working against them now. I took my contribution money and bought in the EQN:L. Heard some guys talking today saying they were going to pull or reduce their contribution to buy in ESO. I'm sure other people are beginning to see other places to spend their money now that it is looking even more certain this thing isn't going to make it.

Brad has reiterated on several occasions about how much he has learned. The problem he has now, everything that he has learned is irrelevant to today's market. (With the exception of what he has learned of himself.) He's running a pretty half-baked campaign and unless he has some solid, visual evidence to showcase his vision, words are just not enough.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You would think after getting curbstomped by WOW Sony would have learned a thing or two about running and advertising an MMO. But no, they have not.
Seriously man... Do you get a lot of headaches? I mean... it's gotta hurt when whatever is between your ears oozes out absurdities like this. I imagine it kinda like the way your asshole burns after too much Taco Bell.

Sony is currently setting the standard for open development, honest communication, and community interaction.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Spot in Muligan. The McQuaid ship has sailed with this kickstarter. This was their one and only chance and they blew it.

BubbySoup

Golden Knight of the Realm
I thought Warcraft Adventures had been contracted out to a Russian developer and was separate from Blizzard's own in-house stuff? I was looking forward to that too, damn shame it got canned.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I thought Warcraft Adventures had been contracted out to a Russian developer and was separate from Blizzard's own in-house stuff? I was looking forward to that too, damn shame it got canned.
Design was in house, and art/animation/etc were outsourced to an American company.

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Upon reading it's an American company with Russian animators. So the outsourced company outsourced. Yuck.

Edit: 2: Would have been fun to play regardless.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Actually not really. Believe it or not, it spawned from the cancellation of Warcraft Adventures - an old adventure game which was to follow the story of thrall.
Right, so the World of Warcraft was always an MMO concept, like I said. Warcraft Adventures may have spawned the idea, but that was never World of Warcraft.

Anyway, the argument over who "popularized" the genre is semantics if everyone isn't on the same page for "popularize's" definition. EQ was very popular for a game that required internet and a 3D accelerator at that point in time.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Apples and Oranges guys... there is no way you can even relate the two. They came at two different times in the genre, not to mention the shift in the target audience. UO revealed a market (player base) existed, Everquest, from a mainstream media perspective, confirmed it. Then WoW broadened the audience and capitalized on it. Placing them side by side is ludicrous.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Seriously man... Do you get a lot of headaches? I mean... it's gotta hurt when whatever is between your ears oozes out absurdities like this. I imagine it kinda like the way your asshole burns after too much Taco Bell.

Sony is currently setting the standard for open development, honest communication, and community interaction.
You mean in the last two weeks Sony has been getting it right?