Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Are any of them like pantheon? I'm open to helping Indy Devs. Just point me to a game you think will resonate with me.
My point isn't to direct you how to spend, just that I feel money 'invested' into Pantheon for 'time already worked' seems a waste to me, personally. If you think their work up until now merits your cash, then that's your decision. It boggles my mind, but I'm all for the free market, pyramid schemes and all.

Do you feel Brad's guys deserve 1/10th of 800k for their last 5 months work? I don't.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
My point isn't to direct you how to spend, just that I feel money 'invested' into Pantheon for 'time already worked' seems a waste to me, personally. If you think their work up until now merits your cash, then that's your decision. It boggles my mind, but I'm all for the free market, pyramid schemes and all.

Do you feel Brad's guys deserve 1/10th of 800k for their last 5 months work? I don't.
Anyone that looks at this kind of thing as "investing" has a strange view in my opinion to begin with. This crap is all straight up what the fuck money to me. Christ, 75% of my game purchases in the last several years has been what the fuck money because I've been dubious of the games being worth thetimeinvestment to play but I wanted to give them a shot anyway.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

I take it that money is being donated simply on the 'hope' that it'll be something they want. I haven't quite figured out if it's simply because brad is behind though. Can some no name put up a better ks than this, saying it will be based off EQ and the same gamble for 'hope' will be there?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

No, I don't think they've earned it. I've said before this thing should of had private investment and time before it launched. That doesn't mean I can't drop $45 on it. It's not like I'm playing a bunch of amazing mmos right now. I'd rather throw caution to the wind with pantheon than sit on the sidelines hoping someone else will come make a game like it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I take it that money is being donated simply on the 'hope' that it'll be something they want. I haven't quite figured out if it's simply because brad is behind though. Can some no name put up a better ks than this, saying it will be based off EQ and the same gamble for 'hope' will be there?
I'd probably shoot any campaign that talked the right talk about $50, no matter if it was by a no-name or not.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone that looks at this kind of thing as "investing" has a strange view in my opinion to begin with. This crap is all straight up what the fuck money to me. Christ, 75% of my game purchases in the last several years has been what the fuck money because I've been dubious of the games being worth thetimeinvestment to play but I wanted to give them a shot anyway.
Not the same thing though because your still getting something for your money even if you never play it. Here there is no guarantee you get anything, no matter what Brad says. You are literally giving him money based his 'word'

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
The class concepts for the game seemed interesting. Wizard, Shaman, Rogue, and Enchanter all made me want to play them.

Tis a shame this'll never see the light of day.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
You know what's annoying about the radar thing. Brad volunteered that shit. The answer was in response to a question about in game maps, nobody was asking shit about radars. He then volunteered that answer and he didn't even clarify that it was specific to certain classes. So then of course someone else needs to go into damage control to fix his comment. Why couldn't he mention that it was limited to certain classes initially?
Well do you believe it was something he and the team had considered and specified, maybe as part of a general design doc for the project or something like that? And that Brad just didnt explain it correctly or mentioned it out of context? I dont think that's the case, not anymore. There has been no common sense and no concrete design facts from them. Everything is made up the night before at best or, like in that case, on the spot during an interview. If it turns out a bad idea they clarify later and people will lap up.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not just Brad, he has a team of ex EQ, VG and rift Devs. If some no name came along with a team with no resumes, people would be way more dubious.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The irony is a team of no names probably put together a better presention and are focused in the type of game they are trying to make.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
Not the same thing though because your still getting something for your money even if you never play it. Here there is no guarantee you get anything, no matter what Brad says. You are literally giving him money based his 'word'
I'll be real honest here, it's the exact same thing in the end result becauseIgot nothing out of it. If I load the game up, play it for an hour and it blows then it gets uninstalled and I never think of it again. Doesn't matter if it cost $9.99 or $100 to me because in all honesty I'm at a point in my life where the time spent playing a game is more valuable than the money to purchase it.

I may be in the extreme minority here but I don't exactly think so. After following this board years ago closely and raiding for years in EQ and WoW, time was the tough commodity that cut my gaming. Money became FAR easier to come by than time and that's more true today than ever (I'd bet that most of the "hardcore" whatever the fuck that is anymore would be in a similar boat). I kicked in a bunch of money to those Deliverance guys because they look like they deserve it. I won't play that game more than a few hours because it's not my kind of game. But it IS the kind of game that there should be more of and that's well made (in my opinion at least). That's how I use this kind of "investing" or whatever someone wants to label it these days.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The irony is a team of no names probably put together a better presention and are focused in the type of game they are trying to make.
And concept art, but I think we already established they assumed just the idea of this game would get them the $$ they needed. That assumption has put them in a no win situation until they get much farther along in development.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
The class concepts for the game seemed interesting. Wizard, Shaman, Rogue, and Enchanter all made me want to play them.

Tis a shame this'll never see the light of day.
ive only made it this far because i personally thought the crusader with dual shields and a dick sucking squire pet sounded so awesome.

monty-python-holy-grail-coconuts.jpg

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
It's not just Brad, he has a team of ex EQ, VG and rift Devs. If some no name came along with a team with no resumes, people would be way more dubious.
instead he has people like salim who approach brad-like levels of negitive baggage and community disdain.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I still can't get over the first thing he wants to do with the initial funding is hand it over to his team for all their 'Pro Bono' work.
Not to mention it could be an issue with unemployment. If the ones who were laid of really were, and not fired or quit in a huff or something, and they're drawing unemployment, that means they need to still be looking for work, first off, and my guess is most of them are doing exactly that, and seriously, and not putting all their eggs in this basket, which in part may be why their working full time on this project actually doesn't seem that way.

Secondly, they can't simply be back-paid for work they'd been doing while working for free on unemployment without paying back that unemployment. In a few states, I've even seen questions about whether you were doing work you expected to be paid for in the future, or got paid any bonus or back pay for work previously done.

So, yeah, they just find a way to pay them a 'bonus' off the books, but in a state like California it wouldn't surprise me if they investigated or were tipped off and put 2 and 2 together that a business owner has had people working basically for free, off the clock, while they drew unemployment, made public statements that they were doing work for the company, then public statements it was intended they be paid for that work, and then suddenly they get a 'bonus' off the books or for something that they claim isn't that back pay wink wink.

I've seen far smaller profile companies doing far less get pegged for stuff like that, and I don't exactly trust them to defraud California unemployment offices nearly as easy as the average fool willingly parting with their money. But, I'm sure they've got a good business plan in place!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'd probably shoot any campaign that talked the right talk about $50, no matter if it was by a no-name or not.
Did you donate to Kingdom Come: Deliverance? That's a game I'll probably enjoy and trust will get finished, but also a company and presentation I can respect so even if I wasn't sure I'd love the game, would have still considered pledging. If you didn't, I'm calling bullshit on your perspective, because that game and project is the best thing to have come from this thread at this point.

Actually, Flex, did you donate to that? You like pvp? What about some really old-school, Tournament pvp in an actual replica of medieval combat? It sounds like it could be fun, so I'm hoping it gets to that stretch goal and multiplayer is possible.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I like reading a lot of post by a lot of people on this forum. Mainly for entertainment purposes. But lets be realistic, a lot of this forum is so negative and mean spirited I don't blame anyone from turning away. Re hashing the same nerd shit (hey im a nerd too obviously) gets so old.
This may be true and we're to negative but judging by that thread on MMO-champ he isn't getting better responses elsewhere. In fact that thread reads much like this one with a mix of people some who just hate Brad based on his past and some who think the game sounds cool. Then they go to the kickstarter and change there minds to match that of the first group.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Did you donate to Kingdom Come: Deliverance? That's a game I'll probably enjoy and trust will get finished, but also a company and presentation I can respect so even if I wasn't sure I'd love the game, would have still considered pledging. If you didn't, I'm calling bullshit on your perspective, because that game and project is the best thing to have come from this thread at this point.
...it's not even an MMO, is it? I haven't enjoyed a single player RPG since the fucking 90s.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Hah, fair enough. No wonder you're so fucking bitter, though! I try to mix in good games occasionally so my mmo playing doesn't get me down.
I tried with Skyrim... I really did. I just don't find single player games very rewarding any more. It was one thing when I was young and my buddies would come over and we'd play FF7 and shoot the shit... But now I'm in my 30s and 95% of the time I'm gaming alone. Not fun for me, so I stick to online social games. It's just a shame single player games are always so much more polished.