Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Large enough to get lost in, but not so large that there are vast lands of complete nothingness. Vanguard was a very incomplete product which highlighted the issue even more. Removal of quest hubs and designing a game against the Point A to Point B to Point C to Point D then level cap would help alleviate the feeling of being in a tiny world (Rift feels horribly small).

Somebody mentioned it earlier, but places like the Karanas have you far away from civilization and those branch off of newbie zones. I love huge scale and feeling small in the world, but it's not always about stretching land out for days. Game design goes a long way, too.
I think anarchy online was good at this. The zones were huge, but they had alot of shit going on in them. Lots of hidden away places you wanted to explore. I love that. But you add quest hubs and quests, there is no reason to go anywhere unless quests take you there. You need to add in unique mobs with unique loot tables to the mix. Toss in a few triggered events and now were taking. This whole WoW model of quest hub---> quest 1, 2, 3... with nothing in between is where the entire themepark mmo fails.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think someone could so a really good MMO if they don't try to make a huge, sprawling world. If it were me, I'd go with an isometric view to cut down on art assets needed. You also wouldn't have to worry so much about zone size.

I think a niche, hardcore MMO could do wonders.

"Modern conveniences" (as we are describing them) make no more sense now than they did then. It's not that the "landscape has changed." It's not that the genre that has evolved to the point that it has developed certain requisites, called "modern conveniences", that we can no longer live without. I'm sorry, but that's exactly the type of industry doublespeak that got us where we are. The reality is that the mmo industry has simply painted itself into a corner and is too paralyzed with fear to figure out a way to innovate itself back out.
Players have different expectations. Specific designs part of successful games have been established as part of the genre. That doesn't mean they are necessary, but it does mean that the reception to those ideas from players, the designers, and the people with the money will be different. Not to mention, there's a helluva lot more on the line when it comes to developing a AAA MMO these days. Are you sure you think that the landscape hasn't changed? There's a good reason why people don't just sack up and say 'fuck you, I'll do what I want' to everyone when the company's future is on the line. It's just irresponsible. Some of those methods and genes, proven now but not even put to paper back then, obviously make more sense today. There's plenty of innovation in niche markets... like EQ once catered to.

Edit: BTW, many of those genes that get passed on without critical thought during the design process DO suck. It's just something that's part and parcel to the industry.

Also, let's not pretend that "clear visions" and "balls" have not destroyed playerbases, too. It's a risky thing.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Tell that to Rich Vogel... And Matt Firor.... And Mark Jacobs.... And Jeff Butler... And (Insert any MMORPG designer from 1996 here)

These guys are like cockroaches. Just when you think you got them all, all of a sudden it's the 4th episode in the movie Creepshow all over again.
I'm not interested in telling them anything. We are all aware of Brad's past drug issues, but then again Robert Downey Jr was a Heroin addict for ten plus years but he's made some of my fav recent Hollywood Blockbusters since he cleaned up (First IM and the Sherlock Holmes movies).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I think someone could so a really good MMO if they don't try to make a huge, sprawling world. If it were me, I'd go with an isometric view to cut down on art assets needed. You also wouldn't have to worry so much about zone size.

Nah, isometric won't cut it. Zones on the other hand are a good idea. Vanilla Wow was Zone-arrific yet done in a such a way that you really didn't notic that you were corralled in a zone.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm not interested in telling them anything. We are all aware of Brad's past drug issues, but then again Robert Downey Jr was a Heroin addict for ten plus years but he's made some of my fav recent Hollywood Blockbusters since he cleaned up (First IM and the Sherlock Holmes movies).
I couldn't care less about brads personal drug past. I hope he got over it and I'm pretty sure he has. I'm talking about failure after failure yet, they still get hired. And continue to pump out uninspired garbage or shoot for the moon and cannot keep anything on track. It's like we are dealing with sixty genre incestual Peter molyneuxs.

I'm more of an optimist. It's good to see a lot of these dudes from the older generation going to kickstarter and doing their own things. If they fail then they'll simply be hoist by their own petards.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I couldn't care less about brads personal drug past. I hope he got over it and I'm pretty sure he has. I'm talking about failure after failure yet, they still get hired. And continue to pump out uninspired garbage or shoot for the moon and cannot keep anything on track. It's like we are dealing with sixty genre incestual Peter molyneuxs.
Brad's first project was EQ. Not a failure. Brad's second project was VG. VG was a failure because of the aforementioned drug problem and lack of direction and because it was too fucking big.

Despite VG being a failure it still had the most innovative Diku-based combat system seen in an MMO to date.

That is not "failure after failure" that is a score of 1 Win, 1 Loss.

So yes, Brad gets another go, but whether that go will succeed, IMHO, is very dependent on whomever ends up as producer. The wrong producer will result in Brad attempting VG 2.0: 3 spheres, 15 classes, 16 races, 3 giant continents, ten tons of bugs and pretty much zero content after level 40.

The right producer will result in a niche hardcore, zoned, mostly bug free release.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to add that at least the dude dedicated a blog to his mistakes in regards to VG. He ate his humble pie. That's why I'm optimistic with his project.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'd like to add that at least the dude dedicated a blog to his mistakes in regards to VG. He ate his humble pie. That's why I'm optimistic with his project.
I don't think he ever discussed his addiction - a la Robert Downey, Jr. That alone has me -_-

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

That was something I was thinking about a few years ago. Make a small amount content focused on a limited geographic area then build the world out slowly from there. You don't start with a whole world you just start with a starting city and areas around it. After that you add next areas with the first expansion maybe you also add a second starting city as well. You gain ability to have a very coherent starting story for game because it is all focused on one area. New content would move the games story forward in a more focused way then current model of lets add a new continent with a completely different races, cultures, and story line then the starting continents that happens in current mmogrpg.

The issue though is how do you fund the adding of new content in the f2p era. Most games use model of building a huge world first using investor money before game releases in order to reduce resources required to sustain development of game after it is launched. With what I suggest you gain lower up front costs but you have higher costs after launch. You also can no lonloner use a shotgun approach of throwing a huge amount of world out at once and hoping at least part of that world is liked. You have to make sure the limited area you start with is good enough to generate enough revenue to pay for the next areas to be added.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Brad's first project was EQ. Not a failure. Brad's second project was VG. VG was a failure because of the aforementioned drug problem and lack of direction and because it was too fucking big.

Despite VG being a failure it still had the most innovative Diku-based combat system seen in an MMO to date.

That is not "failure after failure" that is a score of 1 Win, 1 Loss.

So yes, Brad gets another go, but whether that go will succeed, IMHO, is very dependent on whomever ends up as producer. The wrong producer will result in Brad attempting VG 2.0: 3 spheres, 15 classes, 16 races, 3 giant continents, ten tons of bugs and pretty much zero content after level 40.

The right producer will result in a niche hardcore, zoned, mostly bug free release.
He got lucky with EQ and 95% of the team outside of one Fantasic dungeon designer had no fucking clue what they were doing, the game itself and danger came from shit that was never intended, and the game had a relentlessly broken quest system with a shit ton of unfinished high end content never finished even when players reached it, with boring raid encounters. I won't knock it for what it was, but to give credit to designers for what the players made and then the team decided to roll with it, doesn't make a good designer/game creator. VG was a shitpile under the same management that is now behind EQ Next. One Lucky hit, one horrible mistake, and still a relic designer in where people are clasping to anything just to see * Something * come out of this shithole genre.

McQuaid brought a simple D&D concept to new online heights and even then it never broke 430k. Considering the market broke open on quality releases after the fact and expanded the market to 11+ Million, I would say that is an opportunity cost loss of a lifetime. subject to retarded business decisions and horrid game design.

That isn't to say I am not clamouring for a hardcore MMORPG myself and Brad cannot deliver it, but to think that EQ was anything but lucky as fuck is ridiculous.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I understand what you're saying and I really don't want to get into a protracted argument on the internet, but...

Players have different expectations. Specific designs part of successful games have been established as part of the genre. That doesn't mean they are necessary, but it does mean that the reception to those ideas from players, the designers, and the people with the money will be different. Not to mention, there's a helluva lot more on the line when it comes to developing a AAA MMO these days.
I'm not arguing that players don't have "different expectations" or that certain elements of mmos haven't become "established" and I agree that the "reception to those ideas...will be different." These are kind of nebulous statements and none of those things are difficult to agree with. Of course players have different expectations now than they did back in 1999. What I am suggesting is that mmo developers don't need to pander to those expectations to be successful. No, I'll go one step farther and say theycan'tpander to those same expectations and be successful (on a comparable level). Those games that were previously successful didn't follow the trend of expectations, they blew us away by producing a product thatchangedwhat our expectations were.

Are you sure you think that the landscape hasn't changed?
You misunderstood me when I said in my previous post "It's not that the landscape has changed." What I meant is that a changed landscape isn't the reason game designers can't separate themselves from "modern conveniences". The landscapehasindeed changed, but it has changedbecauseof things like modern conveniences- not the other way around. Players can expect whatever they want, but the landscape doesn't actually change until game designers pander to those expectations.

There's a good reason why people don't just sack up and say 'fuck you, I'll do what I want' to everyone when the company's future is on the line. It's just irresponsible... Also, let's not pretend that "clear visions" and "balls" have not destroyed playerbases, too. It's a risky thing.
Obviously, it's just my opinion here, but I completely disagree with you. Iwanta game company that says "fuck you, I'll do what I want" regarding 95% of the game's decisions and panders to maybe 5% of thebest, most informed player feedback for changes. It's YOUR job to make the game, and it's MY job to decide if it's good enough to play. Crowd sourcing game development is part of what has ruined the mmo genre (and a few others as well). In my experience, the best games are those where the player base has had the least influence on design.

RE: Risky things- Lots and lots of things sink games and destroy player bases, including "vision" and "balls". Making a game with production costs these days is ALWAYS a risky thing. But you have to be willing to fail in order to succeed. You don't break ground or press the envelope by refusing to take meaningful risks. Yes, you can create an iteration of an iteration of an iteration by taking only superficial risks, but players will see that for exactly what it is- a boring counterfeit. That's whatmostmodern mmos have been- counterfeit copies of rehashed ideas, repackaged with voxels and parkouring.

Again, I understand what you are saying, and if we were talking about long-term investment banking, I would probably be IMing you now for advice, because you sound like you would be a good person to talk to. But let's face it, creating a game shouldn't be approached in the same manner as investing in the S&P 500. Status quo and safe decisions don't cut it. Look at thehalfbilliondollar mmo graveyard for evidence of that. Companies are so afraid to fail that they end up failing. As much as we players tend to forget it and as much as game companies tend to ignore it, making video games is an art- and the essence of making good art is sticking to your vision and taking risks.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I understand what you're saying and I really don't want to get into a protracted argument on the internet, but...

I'm not arguing that players don't have "different expectations" or that certain elements of mmos haven't become "established" and I agree that the "reception to those ideas...will be different." These are kind of nebulous statements and none of those things are difficult to agree with. Of course players have different expectations now than they did back in 1999. What I am suggesting is that mmo developers don't need to pander to those expectations to be successful. No, I'll go one step farther and say theycan'tpander to those same expectations and be successful (on a comparable level). Those games that were previously successful didn't follow the trend of expectations, they blew us away by producing a product thatchangedwhat our expectations were.

You misunderstood me when I said in my previous post "It's not that the landscape has changed." What I meant is that a changed landscape isn't the reason game designers can't separate themselves from "modern conveniences". The landscapehasindeed changed, but it has changedbecauseof things like modern conveniences- not the other way around. Players can expect whatever they want, but the landscape doesn't actually change until game designers pander to those expectations.

Obviously, it's just my opinion here, but I completely disagree with you. Iwanta game company that says "fuck you, I'll do what I want" regarding 95% of the game's decisions and panders to maybe 5% of thebest, most informed player feedback for changes. It's YOUR job to make the game, and it's MY job to decide if it's good enough to play. Crowd sourcing game development is part of what has ruined the mmo genre (and a few others as well). In my experience, the best games are those where the player base has had the least influence on design.

RE: Risky things- Lots and lots of things sink games and destroy player bases, including "vision" and "balls". Making a game with production costs these days is ALWAYS a risky thing. But you have to be willing to fail in order to succeed. You don't break ground or press the envelope by refusing to take meaningful risks. Yes, you can create an iteration of an iteration of an iteration by taking only superficial risks, but players will see that for exactly what it is- a boring counterfeit. That's whatmostmodern mmos have been- counterfeit copies of rehashed ideas, repackaged with voxels and parkouring.

Again, I understand what you are saying, and if we were talking about long-term investment banking, I would probably be IMing you now for advice, because you sound like you would be a good person to talk to. But let's face it, creating a game shouldn't be approached in the same manner as investing in the S&P 500. Status quo and safe decisions don't cut it. Look at thehalfbilliondollar mmo graveyard for evidence of that. Companies are so afraid to fail that they end up failing. As much as we players tend to forget it and as much as game companies tend to ignore it, making video games is an art- and the essence of making good art is sticking to your vision and taking risks.
i agree with this 100%. it's exactly like the movie industry. the reason why we have so much shit now coming out of hollywood is because somewhere along the way the art of making movies has been almost completely lost. it's now just "how much money can we make by releasing fast and furious 25 with a script that was written in a half hour?" great movies are art, just like great video games are.

as far as brad goes, i could care less about his addictions. if he makes a game that is a cross between everquest and vanguard, i'll buy him as many drugs and hookers as he wants.

Your threshold for success seems to be a bit high. Many of these "unsuccessful" games have decent player bases and are cash flow positive. I understand why the perspective of a consumer is to appreciate big productions taking big risks. If I had my way, that's exactly the type of thing that would happen all the time. That said, the games like WoW and EQ which changed our expectations didn't make gigantic leaps of innovation - they were very derivative of their predecessors, sprinkled with bits of innovation and refinement.

A few semantic quibbles which I have no interest in pursuing aside, I don't think we really disagree other than that. Yeah, it would be nice if the big players would go for the long bomb more often. It's just important to remember that the allegiances of these companies are to the stakeholders, not to the players, not to the art. Like etchazz says, the parallels between the film industry and the video game industry are obvious.

Edit: I'd rather have shit games and employed developers than a bunch of failed experiments. There was a time when I thought differently.