Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really don't like the RMT stuff and voiced it here and there. I get they need money but damn, that's just not the type of thing. At this point I just plan to do my best getting enough people on board to minimize the usefulness of the stuff.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Brad isn't a coder, programmer, or architecture kind of guy. He's a designer/thinker. He had nothing to do with the 3D aspect of Everquest. The credit for that kind of shit should go to His Blackness Milo D. Cooper and several others, not McQuaid.
Actually Brad WAS a programmer. Smed hired him for his work on some Wizzardry title. But that was a long fucking time ago. But nevertheless he did come from a programming background and im sure hes got some skills. I mean the dude did rise up through SoE fast, Im sure partly because of his fork tongue though.

Edit: He even mentioned getting his hands dirty for Pantheon and actually doing some work on a zone, even though he did not do this in a long time or something in one of the interviews.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really don't like the RMT stuff and voiced it here and there. I get they need money but damn, that's just not the type of thing. At this point I just plan to do my best getting enough people on board to minimize the usefulness of the stuff.
What it speaks to is that Brad and co. do not have full confidence that they can get 20k supporters in order to fund the game as they need to. So instead they are using the item store to get more money out of the smaller pool of supporters. What they should be doing is just give better rewards in the tiers. Make them really attractive at the higher amounts. Then again, it's not like they haven't been getting advice on the tiers already.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Brad and Co don't really fall under my comments on RMT although they are using it for funding purposes.
You have no idea if they fall under your comments, they don't have a game yet. It remains to be seen what they'll do with RMT, judging by the money grubbing they've done so far I would not be shocked if it's in the game in some form (hypothetically, this shit isn't getting made).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Ya they are using it as a funding vehicle .

My point has to do with the rest of the industry that is well funded but is not really moving the genre forward and has not because the focus had been capturing rmt dollars from a high level design perspective.

It's all they are really doing and it makes sense from a business perspective because it is low hanging fruit $$$.

Why take a risk when you know rmt will increase revenue significantly. I don't care about rmt but it would be nice to get back to making great games rather than spending most of their time finding ways to increase revenue per user.
Is this supposed game moving the genre forward either? I mean, the whole idea is to go back to design theory from 1999.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
There's a clear disconnect from reality when someone has an issue with developers selling in-game stuff for an existing game, but has no problem selling in-game stuff for a game that doesn't exist at all yet, because they need funding.
Think of the savings! ...

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Seriously. A box labeled Groups and the word Focus inside it? You have to be shitting me. These are troll pics right?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You can just see half of them thinking, "wtf am I doing here".

Not confidence inspiring.
So many good folks in the Industry are out of work right now, it's a shame. Hopefully things pick up again. If there was an MMO Morning Show on the radio they could crank call any one of these folks and pretend to be with a major studio offering a job and I guarantee they'd jump ship before the afternoon for real work.

And that is the other major barrier in this ever being made. Once/IF the industry picks up again, they're gone in a heartbeat.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Seriously. A box labeled Groups and the word Focus inside it? You have to be shitting me. These are troll pics right?
Lol. I guess they want to convey the "Indie-vibe" but it's not working. Those pictures just convey goofing around and being bored. Also, all the coat-wearing people give an impression of already being halfway out the door. That's what you want to show to your backers, I am sure.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Also, all the coat-wearing people give an impression of already being halfway out the door. That's what you want to show to your backers, I am sure.
To be fair, they're in a garage. It's most likely not insulated.