Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Everything is cyclical... One has to imagine with the resurgence of Isometric deep RPGs, that an MMO akin to the old days has to come at some point... Hopefully, those with investment dollars are realizing this.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"glorious update" might be a little much. While I give credit that we have something real to talk about it's still nothing that you can't accomplish very quickly with Wordpress, a $50 theme, and a little time.

While i'm still willing to forgive i'm going to need to see a bit more. A website is a nice first step but it needs to quickly be followed up with some decent in-game stuff. We know it's probably there as we've seen a couple of screenshots but a lot of this still seems to be a bit out of order and foggy at best.
I think it is there. The world and such, I don't know how advanced gameplay would be at this point? I'd imagine that stuff is all being worked on still. I personally wouldn't be showing videos until there is a certain level of polish/unique art(like races)

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Honestly I like the art the for those races far more than pretty much any other recent MMO, except for the SJW halfling. They might look like total shit in game though, assuming they ever get that far.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New gnome is rocking. Ogre too. But your point is valid. Not sure they have an artist on that level yet but id rather them hold out than settle and put shitty models in like you said.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Does anyone here think they can make a MMO for under 10 million that they would like? I just don't see it and I see this game going into the endless alpha, founder packs stage like so many low budget ones before them. They apparently have some funding but can't talk about from where and how much like they found some of Pablo Escobar's money buried in California. You can have all the designers and artists in the world, it means jack shit without quality engineers. Those cost money.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone here think they can make a MMO for under 10 million that they would like? I just don't see it and I see this game going into the endless alpha, founder packs stage like so many low budget ones before them. They apparently have some funding but can't talk about from where and how much like they found some of Pablo Escobar's money buried in California. You can have all the designers and artists in the world, it means jack shit without quality engineers. Those cost money.
That and please correct me if I am wrong, there has never been a truly successful MMORPG that has done so on a third party engine. The sustainability of an MMORPG REQUIRES being in full control of the feature set of the engine. The only MMORPG that had its own engine was WoW. Developed from the ground up to adapt and more importantly create a user experience for an MMORPG only. EQ was built off a tank simulator engine. We all saw how that worked out in game with horrid z axis bugs as a result.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
One would think, if they get <10 mil, they won't be able to launch a full MMO on it... however, it may be enough for a publisher to fully fund after the fact. I think with this project we will see baby steps for a while and I think that is OK as the market may not be quite ready for a throwback MMO, yet...

Bruman

Golden Squire
Videos will come. Really does come down to money. These guys aren't working with a 50million dollar budget. A lot of the people posting didn't expect to even see this update. Like I've been saying, it's a small team but they are dedicated and passionate. This project has been moving in the right direction for a while now and I don't see that changing. They definitely need to add more key people tho.
Wait, are you saying this is "THE big update"?

They were doing videos before, recent comments said those videos are way out of date now. The new website is nice, sure, but the impression the whole time is that there'd be a new video update by the end of this month showing the game in a much better light.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
That and please correct me if I am wrong, there has never been a truly successful MMORPG that has done so on a third party engine. The sustainability of an MMORPG REQUIRES being in full control of the feature set of the engine. The only MMORPG that had its own engine was WoW. Developed from the ground up to adapt and more importantly create a user experience for an MMORPG only. EQ was built off a tank simulator engine. We all saw how that worked out in game with horrid z axis bugs as a result.
I wouldn't expect Wow like performance and fluidity, but who cares ? There is nothing in the MMO space like this. Unity has done quite a bit of good for single player stuff, can it be MMO-ed ? That is the risk they are taking for sure.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

They were doing videos before, recent comments said those videos are way out of date now. The new website is nice, sure, but the impression the whole time is that there'd be a new video update by the end of this month showing the game in a much better light.
"Once we get a few things sorted out on the site, we will start releasing more information mate, we are using this as a soft release and in the coming weeks once we work out the kinks, we will start pushing out more info, so watch this space and please bare with us while we fix a few small issues, the forums will not remain like this, we just hit a bump
smile.png
"

As for the programmer stuff, I don't know for a fact but from what I understand, they are in good shape in that department. We won't know until we actually start playing. I have heard great things about this guy.Daniel Krenn | Visionary Realms

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

This. They haven't released anything of note since February? Before? A website that takes almost a year to fix up is the update? What, is the game releasing in 2041? Some pretty low expectation people here.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
This. They haven't released anything of note since February? Before? A website that takes almost a year to fix up is the update? What, is the game releasing in 2041? Some pretty low expectation people here.
To be fair, a team of 30 with a 20 million+ dollar budget still takes 5 years to release an MMO right? So the fact updates arn't rushing out the door doesn't mean they are not making substantial progress.

Bruman

Golden Squire
To be fair, a team of 30 with a 20 million+ dollar budget still takes 5 years to release an MMO right? So the fact updates arn't rushing out the door doesn't mean they are not making substantial progress.
That's all well and good, it's just the same old problem of "under promise and over deliver" that they're not doing - if there isn't a video coming in the next week, they've fucked up managing expectations again to the threes of people keeping an eye on this game.

Last video in Feb said there'd be lots more videos to come, at which point they stopped doing them, and then they heavily implied we'd get a new update video at the end of this month.

We can see from a couple of the new screens that they've obviously made some substantial progress (inventory and merchants, provided those are actually functional).

And yeah - I think at this point this has a higher chance of happening than EQ:Next. Can't wait to get bored after a month!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Huge project MMOs also have huge bloat and often times too many chefs. Just because the budget and team size of Pantheon is 2% of a big budget MMO doesn't mean they can only deliver 2% of what a big budget company can deliver. Sometimes small, lean and talented (not saying I know anything about Pantheon's team to indicate they're any of these) can often times deliver better software than larger squads.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Say what you will about project gorgon but what they have done with 2 people is pretty damn impressive so i don't see why these guys can't get it done. Of course they have to buckle down and not give in to every silly mechanic request or desire by the folks on their site. I think they have a pretty fair shot of providing something resembling a working game within the next couple of years.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
this is the shit I miss in mmos.

The Perception System
One of the most profound things about Pantheon is how we are designing the game from the ground up so that the Environment truly matters - we want players to care about the world they are in, and why things are the way they are. When you think of MMOs, when is the last time you discovered the meaning, or the history, or the secrets of a person, place or event without being told by a text box? What if we've conceived of a way to bring players back to exploring because they are compelled by what they see in front of them - not because a blinking light tells them to go there? In Pantheon, Wizards will be able to perceive things that a Warrior cannot. Through prayer, a Cleric may gain insight into an area, or a creature, that a Rogue could never know. Through our perception system, Pantheon will redefine how the game world becomes known, and how players will work together to progress.