Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That looks like two dollars piled high Soygen. You've doubled your investment?!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm hoping for a good bonus at the end of the month, so I felt comfortable with the larger investment.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe this works for people who are painstakingly watch this game 'evolve' into something now with a playable few mins. But to most people who are just peeking in every so often, it looks as terrible as always. Go check out project gorgon if you want to play something brad is aiming for but will never achieve
Why does it look terrible?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He's probably speaking graphically. Which it does look about 10 years dated in that regard.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's probably speaking graphically. Which it does look about 10 years dated in that regard.
He can't be serious since he mentioned Project Gorgon?? The art will improve with this project, have people seen games in a Pre Pre Alpha state before?? The world actually looked pretty damn good when Monty stood still.. The low rez feed killed things when he moved tho.. Having people shit on visuals this early is kind of amateur hour for this community.

Pre pre alpha.

http://kotaku.com/very-early-screens...aft-1711350152

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can tell you if they wanted to make a game like Project Gorgon, the game would already be in beta. Theres no comparison. Its like saying a guy building a harley wishes he could build a schwinn, but can't.

Tenks

He can't be serious since he mentioned Project Gorgon?? The art will improve with this project, have people seen games in a Pre Pre Alpha state before?? The world actually looked pretty damn good when Monty stood still.. The low rez feed killed things when he moved tho.. Having people shit on visuals this early is kind of amateur hour for this community.

Pre pre alpha.

You can't really compare this to WoW because WoW was built from the ground up. Pantheon is standing very heavily upon Unity's shoulders. I'm not sure if the textures (which admittedly looked pretty decent) were even made by the team or just assets purchased off the store. I understand the excitement because they did show something real and working but it was extraordinarily basic, fundamental, non-unique and looked like a group of highly motivated and skilled seniors doing a capstone project.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I thought from reading some of the posts that the stream showed something worth getting excited over. That was pure crap. I think some of you guys have lost it if there was something in that stream that made you want to play that pile of garbage.

I'll buy this if there is any form of item loot PvP and trains.

Even "bad" MMOs I've played made their box price worth it (for me) for a few weeks when that is involved.

Make night time insanely dark like EQ1 (with racial/spell effects/items to deal with it). Add bards.

Drugs for the drug throne.

Bruman

Golden Squire

Pre pre alpha.

While I think the "dated by 10 years" statement is overdoing it, you also can't realistically expect the graphics fidelity to noticeably change that much. As Tenks said, they have what Unity has, which is a huge leg up, but it's also going to be their limiting factor. They might improve some details and such, but I wouldn't expect like new shader effects or shadow calculations before launch. This game will never reach the level of, say, Blade and Soul or Black Desert Online.

That said, I played P99 a lot and still play Minecraft, graphics serve a purpose but aren't the end-game for me. I thought they looked fine.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can't really compare this to WoW because WoW was built from the ground up. Pantheon is standing very heavily upon Unity's shoulders. I'm not sure if the textures (which admittedly looked pretty decent) were even made by the team or just assets purchased off the store. I understand the excitement because they did show something real and working but it was extraordinarily basic, fundamental, non-unique and looked like a group of highly motivated and skilled seniors doing a capstone project.
Unity is nothing more then a shell for them to bring things together in... when it's in and done, it would solely rest on the shoulders of the art team. So a good art team would be the major factor in how the game looks when it's released, their art isn't dependent on Unity.. People assume the way art looks is a function of their engine but it's not true. I actually asked a programmer that question in regards to unity.

But yea, from what I understand... the textures and such were created by them, probably Monty.

They really should do a QNA on shit like this

Tenks

People assume the way art looks is a function of their engine but it's not true. I actually asked a programmer that question in regards to unity.
I'm fully aware of what Unity does and that the graphics are result of poor art. But art takes time and art isexpensive. Which is why I was saying it looks like a senior capstone project because you can tell the art for the character models was extremely poor and so was the animation. WoW even now has to farm out their art to Asia because that was their bottleneck.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The real question is when is this game coming to PS4 so Utnayan can buy it?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The real question is when is this game coming to PS4 so Utnayan can buy it?
QyXfYVL.gif

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm fully aware of what Unity does and that the graphics are result of poor art. But art takes time and art isexpensive. Which is why I was saying it looks like a senior capstone project because you can tell the art for the character models was extremely poor and so was the animation. WoW even now has to farm out their art to Asia because that was their bottleneck.
I agree with that. I believe they even addressed art and animation in the twitch, I don't want to misquote them tho. They are a small team doing a lot of tasks, when they get money they will obviously address things like art and animations as they see fit. The stuff they have now allows them to test gameplay and features which I'm fine with but people are assuming that art won't be ovreehauled and made much better, I dont think that's the case but again, they will prob answer stuff like this at some point. I just know it's not an unity issue. Probably a resource one.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
7700 views on the twitch gameplay video. Not too shabby considering the initial buildup to the video release was pretty minimal. That means there are ~10,000 people who still give enough of a shit to follow development closely. That's pretty promising from a crowdfunding perspective. Will be interesting to see how high the engagement on that video gets once the story makes its way through the MMORPG media fully.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
I understand that the gameplay shown was super early, so it's hard to get a real sense of the final look, but there is a clear lack of art direction. They need a really great artist, who isn't also doing this, that, and the other job in the company. Just an artist. A great one.

The current "style," if you can call it that, looks just like EQII, and Vanguard, and it is just terrible. I've noticed that Unity tends to make every game I've played using it look like DX7 or DX8-era graphics. Unity is just ugly, at least in my experience, maybe a dozen titles or so.

Still, with a truly great artist and art direction, even Unity should be able to provide a decent looking experience. The gameplay was definitely classic EQ inspired, but right now Pantheon looks worse than Original EQ to my eyes, not for lack of polygons or shaders, but lack of style. It's just bland as can be, and that needs to change completely. Completely. No asset I saw in that demo should remain in the final game. It all looked terribly bland and generic, just like EQII and Vanguard.

I was still surprised to see it all working though, so I'll give them that. Just don't go with that art direction, it's fucking depressing.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I understand that the gameplay shown was super early, so it's hard to get a real sense of the final look, but there is a clear lack of art direction. They need a really great artist, who isn't also doing this, that, and the other job in the company. Just an artist. A great one.

The current "style," if you can call it that, looks just like EQII, and Vanguard, and it is just terrible. I've noticed that Unity tends to make every game I've played using it look like DX7 or DX8-era graphics. Unity is just ugly, at least in my experience, maybe a dozen titles or so.

Still, with a truly great artist and art direction, even Unity should be able to provide a decent looking experience. The gameplay was definitely classic EQ inspired, but right now Pantheon looks worse than Original EQ to my eyes, not for lack of polygons or shaders, but lack of style. It's just bland as can be, and that needs to change completely. Completely. No asset I saw in that demo should remain in the final game. It all looked terribly bland and generic, just like EQII and Vanguard.

I was still surprised to see it all working though, so I'll give them that. Just don't go with that art direction, it's fucking depressing.
Assuming they get funded and hire a quality group of artist, those areas will have several updates/passes to them. It's more important for them to get the gameplay ironed out, and I agree with that approach.