Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Someone did an age check prior to that twitch and it varied a lot. The range was early 20s to mid 40's mostly. Brad absolutely should be going for 25+ group anyway.

Put me down for the graphics and animation concerns being way too premature at this point and in time will be made much better..

Also.. I'm not saying they don't have these people, but if they don't have a really good animator/model artist, they defiantly should not spend too much time on them until they do.

I think they've done well for themselves and I want to see what this team can do fully funded and fully staffed.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
27 here. Played back in my lower teens.

I'm not worried about the visuals yet. I just hope they get a good character model artist. Fuck, outsource to korea or something if you have to. Those fucking guys know how to model.

Raign

Golden Squire
That aside - I'm an MMO player first. I've been playing since I first got asheron's call (my parents wouldn't let me play EQ, I was 13). This to me does not look good, and I'm a guy always looking for the next MMO.
Not to criticize, but if you didn't play EQ, you really can't understand the attachment to the game nor the desire to recreate the sense of wonder that came with it. Wow Vanilla has a bit of the stickiness and feel, but nothing since has really come close to sense of discovery. I have played pretty much all of them since including AC, and frankly if you think the fanboism for EQ is relegated to a bunch of no life neck beards you're ignorant; in the most literal sense of the word

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Don't worry guys we will all be in at least our 50's before this polished turd see's the light of day. You guys should for fun hop back to Jan 2014 in this thread and remember how clueless the McQuaid Brigade truly is. You do have to give it up for Convo though 24 months of solid denial is pretty amazing.

Original Kickstarter - See what they accomplished in 2 years
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen characters may have to acclimatize to their environments - PC Gamer

But hey they have a streaming video of some shitty orcs and trash...IT'S GONNA ROCK /SLASH

rrr_img_128685.jpg

What happened to MMO's
TrainWreck1.gif

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not to criticize, but if you didn't play EQ, you really can't understand the attachment to the game nor the desire to recreate the sense of wonder that came with it. Wow Vanilla has a bit of the stickiness and feel, but nothing since has really come close to sense of discovery. I have played pretty much all of them since including AC, and frankly if you think the fanboism for EQ is relegated to a bunch of no life neck beards you're ignorant; in the most literal sense of the word
Sure I didn't play eq, but I did play ffxi. My playtime when I quit was over 700 days. Maybe that's a small amount compared to eq players, but I lived and breathed that game. I also suffered through a promised next generation mmos launch with ff14. The only difference between ff14 and eq2 was square realized what they did and did something unprecedented and rebuilt the game.

I also played vanguard and loved it, in fact the FOH guild too much brown is one of my top 3 experiences in an mmo ever. At the same time, I hold Brad and soe accountable for what happened there.

So excuse me if I have very little faith.

And I can call anyone a neck beard. I am one too. We all are.

As much as I want a sprawling mega mmo with discovery and intrigue and wonder and lasting appeal, a few guys in unity running a bunch of Kickstarters is not it. I think a few games could've been there but instead followed wows lead - rift, ff14, etc.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not to criticize, but if you didn't play EQ, you really can't understand the attachment to the game nor the desire to recreate the sense of wonder that came with it.
Well, I played EQ1 and I think a lot of you guys are batshit insane. I also hate seeing people continually roll out the rose-colored glasses as if EQ1 was a non-stop MMO orgasm. There was a fuckton of dissatisfaction and I think that is why Furor's rant resounded with as many people as it did (not counting the people that thought he was being egotistical or whatever) and why so many fled EQ1 for WOW.

I mean, was there wonder? Sure. But I can't sit here with a straight face and honestly think that the odds are good that Brad is going to nail that same feeling. And you can't just make a game solely on that feeling of "wonder", LOL.

Wow Vanilla has a bit of the stickiness and feel, but nothing since has really come close to sense of discovery. I have played pretty much all of them since including AC, and frankly if you think the fanboism for EQ is relegated to a bunch of no life neck beards you're ignorant; in the most literal sense of the word
Once in a blue moon I'll meet someone who played and misses part of EQ1, but that's pretty rare. I know one person at work who played and sometimes I'll stop by her part of the building and maybe hum the login music or drop a"You ruined your own lands..."quote on her from out of the blue. But the number of people who even recognize EQ1 as something other than"That game you old fucks talk about"is steadily dwindling.

EQ1 was never really part of a larger cultural zeitgeist, so to speak. Games like WOW or LoL? Those actually broke out into something larger. In some ways I think EQ1 is still talked about in the same way as BBS games and MUDs are, and the stereotype of neckbeards that go with it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Who remembers LORD? Tradewars? I think I played a Star Trek MUD at one point. Point is, these games (and EQ1) totally inhabit the extreme neckbeard portion of the gaming spectrum, stereotype or not. Unless you totally buy into this EQ1 commercial, LOL:

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It wasn't a nonstop orgasm because it was fucking hard. It was consuming and rewarding like nothing else. That style just requires a time commitment that doesn't bode well with normal people. I didn't make it long at all in wow because it felt like a joke for children. I was going through the motions, and i sucked at eq

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The same demographic enjoyed AC as well and thinks fondly of it, and many of those players started through MSN Gaming Zone. Tons of casual players got introduced to MMOs through Gaming Zone and subsequently word of mouth to their friends. I alone got about 6 or 7 of my friends to start playing AC, and none of them were neckbeard hardcore types.

I think there are just people who want a good MMO that has lasting appeal and a revolutionary/incredible loot system. Will it ever happen now with the way the market is now probably not but to say that only nostalgic neckbeards want another groundbrealing MMO experience is dumb.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, I played EQ1 and I think a lot of you guys are batshit insane. I also hate seeing people continually roll out the rose-colored glasses as if EQ1 was a non-stop MMO orgasm. There was a fuckton of dissatisfaction and I think that is why Furor's rant resounded with as many people as it did (not counting the people that thought he was being egotistical or whatever) and why so many fled EQ1 for WOW.

I mean, was there wonder? Sure. But I can't sit here with a straight face and honestly think that the odds are good that Brad is going to nail that same feeling. And you can't just make a game solely on that feeling of "wonder", LOL.
I don't know if they will nail that old EQ feeling but I think they will nail something equally special to people. You can't predict what hard work and passion will turn out but it usually does result in something good. People can make fun of these guys all they want but they are committed to this game.. They are not your average jaded dev team who have cycled thru the industry 3 times over again. They're a young and passionate team running lean and making the best of the situation they're in. So much focus has been on Brad everyone is missing the rest of the Big picture here.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not sure how anyone who played EQ in the early days doesn't look back and have fond memories of a lot of it. I miss the feeling of EQ, but I don't think I can ever play a game like that again.

I'm pretty impressed by that Unity video above. I wasn't aware Unity was capable of visuals that good.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Someone did an age check prior to that twitch and it varied a lot. The range was early 20s to mid 40's mostly. Brad absolutely should be going for 25+ group anyway.

Put me down for the graphics and animation concerns being way too premature at this point and in time will be made much better..

Also.. I'm not saying they don't have these people, but if they don't have a really good animator/model artist, they defiantly should not spend too much time on them until they do.

I think they've done well for themselves and I want to see what this team can do fully funded and fully staffed.
Let me ask you this, Convobro. Do you haveanyconcerns? Has there been a single moment with Pantheon that has given you pause?