Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
Assuming they get funded and hire a quality group of artist, those areas will have several updates/passes to them. It's more important for them to get the gameplay ironed out, and I agree with that approach.
I totally agree with that, and as I said, I know it's early and I've been a gamer and computer geek for 40 years so I understand the development process. We've all seen pre-vis and true alpha footage. I just want to make sure they understand that the artstyleis really important. I'm not talking about the current quality, I get that, completely understood, work in progress.

It's just really, really important not to have a generic looking game. Doesn't have to be photorealistic or require SLI Titan's to run the thing, it just needs to have style. That EQII/Vanguard look is a huge turn off visually. Again, the gameplay looked great. It looked fun to play.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm with you man. It's obvious they read this forum based on the Fuzzy troll loot so it's good to post all the concerns. Personally I'd like to see a twitch with Monty talking about art and showing off that area again with a higher rez video.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The zone graphics looked quite a bit better than vanguard or EQ2 to me, the ground had a more natural real look to it. The models and animations, not so much, and we already know those are placeholders.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
The zone graphics looked quite a bit better than vanguard or EQ2 to me, the ground had a more natural real look to it. The models and animations, not so much, and we already know those are placeholders.
Indeed, only thing I could say is it needs more color?

Honestly I think the character models matter most. Look at FFXIV. Uses a lot of brown and grey, but the character models and gear sticks out so much that it makes the game look cool and very unique. I would love it if they went with a more LOTR style, but with wizard hats and shit. Just give each class and race an identity.

rrr_img_128530.jpg

Overly designed? Yeah, maybe. But distinct? Absolutely.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Indeed, only thing I could say is it needs more color?

Honestly I think the character models matter most. Look at FFXIV. Uses a lot of brown and grey, but the character models and gear sticks out so much that it makes the game look cool and very unique. I would love it if they went with a more LOTR style, but with wizard hats and shit. Just give each class and race an identity.

rrr_img_128530.jpg

Overly designed? Yeah, maybe. But distinct? Absolutely.
That's 'endgame' gear. Dudes in pantheon were in cloth robes and shit. Try to find the differences between tanks at level 20 in ffxiv, or healers (or casters in general) at level 20. Or dps! Because when I played, it was all about having items that were transferable between classes while leveling. "Geared" leveling classes looked incredibly similar to other... similar classes.

I'll fault them for a lot of stuff, but we haven't seen enough to question their endgame art decisions at this point. Unity, however, still does not give me great hope.

Loco_sl

shitlord
Maybe I'm easy, but the art and characters looked just fine to me. All I want is an updated EQ, and a better graphics engine. If the gameplay is good, I could care less if it ships looking like that.

Now I want to see gameplay from a different perspective because the guy playing the wizard sure didn't make it look very fun.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
sad how a whole company can miss the mark (DBG), but a crack addict can sucker people on the internet to do it for free/next to nothing and hit the mark in spite of his own setbacks.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's your concern with Unity, Rezz bro?
It's mostly their reliance on a lot of stock stuff art stuff vs. the actual engine, I suppose. Had they went with another engine, they might not have the sheer volume of stock items to just copypasta in, and would have to be more creative on that front. That said, it certainly looks better than I thought it would. Still very rough (quality of stream possibly, but it does look a tad dated even with that in mind) but it's not out yet and there's likely a ton of placeholder art just so it's not colored boxes and planes everywhere.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
sad how a whole company can miss the mark (DBG), but a crack addict can sucker people on the internet to do it for free/next to nothing and hit the mark in spite of his own setbacks.
by hit the mark you mean he appealed to a bunch of 40 year old neckbeards whose pinnacle of gaming came out almost 20 years ago.

It will never appeal to the masses, it will be a critical flop, and this is all based on everyone hoping that brad can even pull it off. My bet is it is never released.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Animations and those character models weren't placeholders - considering they were working on animations before this and you can see the (minor) improvements. You are not going to work on animations for placeholder content.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
by hit the mark you mean he appealed to a bunch of 40 year old neckbeards whose pinnacle of gaming came out almost 20 years ago.

It will never appeal to the masses, it will be a critical flop, and this is all based on everyone hoping that brad can even pull it off. My bet is it is never released.
You have no pony in this race, you have a dick in it!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Animations and those character models weren't placeholders - considering they were working on animations before this and you can see the (minor) improvements. You are not going to work on animations for placeholder content.
Just regurgitating what they said, i am skeptical on that too.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
The models themselves seemed fine, it was the janky weird way they moved that made them look terrible. It looks like they were trying to use motion capture or some rigging that wasn't set up for those models. The way the player dances in one portion of the movie has the players legs going into each other. No animator would willfully make something that looks like that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You have no pony in this race, you have a dick in it!
That aside - I'm an MMO player first. I've been playing since I first got asheron's call (my parents wouldn't let me play EQ, I was 13). This to me does not look good, and I'm a guy always looking for the next MMO.