Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Ark is a really good survival game. Tons of developer support, tons of server customization options and even mod support.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I loved DayZ. But the Standalone was still so far behind the mod that it wasn't worth investing my time.

Two and a half years later and I hear it's not much better.

Da fuck?

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
It wasn't a 1:1 replica, but the formula was definitely copied. Shit, their two prolific WoW designers were old EQ raiders. They even stole one form this community, or former FOH community to be more accurate, remember?
It was more than two I think. Legacy of Steel was pretty much the Blizzard dev's EQ guild. I played on The Nameless back then, and I'm pretty sure I remember it was Rob Pardo playing Ariel, the Guild leader of LoS, and I remember at least one other, Laminae maybe? posting original artwork straight out of what looked like the WoW design docs. Tigole was teaching English or something when he joined LoS. Playing EQ and meeting those guys made him a bazillionaire.

But yeah, they definitely took the EQ formula and reworked into the juggernaut it became. That's not a slight at Blizz either. That's often how you succeed, by taking something cool but flawed and perfecting it, refining it, and reselling the better version to the masses. That's not easy to do at all.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I always thought that this was going to be the next big thing in gaming. Zombie survival type games with building and PvP thrown in. Too bad that a good company did not get in on the action. Instead we got some arma 3 mod guys and Smedley, lol.
Rust has a huge community. So does DayZ and H1Z1. I'd say those games blazed a trail.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
No need to reinvent the wheel. WoW was influenced by EQ, EQ was influenced by Meridian 59, Meridian 59 was influenced by text-based MUDs (among other things), MUDS were influenced by pnp DnD, pnp DnD was influenced by the world that Tolkien created. Tolkien... well, I think you could argue he may be the closest thing we have to an originator. I'm sure he was influenced by plenty (from traditional fairy tales to Norse legends), but he took a little bit of scattered lore and created a pretty robust universe.

Anyway, unless you go back to Tolkien, pretty much everyone has been copying everyone else forever.
Kalevala

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
UKpvwsL.gif

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting. Had never heard of Kalevala before, thanks for the reference. It's really clear how much it influenced Tolkien's Silmarillion.

That said, I'm talking specifically about the whole paradigm Tolkien created with Middle Earth-- not just his creation story. The whole idea of elves, dwarves, orcs, trolls, halflings, etc, their culture, and how they interact in an epic medieval-fantasy setting. Of course Tolkien was influenced by all kinds of things when he came up with his Middle Earth concept, but what I am saying is that (unlike a lot of the iterations that came after him), with Tolkien, you can't point to a single predating literary source and say, "Ok, Tolkien's Middle Earth was just an iteration of X, Y, or Z." Middle Earth is clearly much more than just an iteration of Kalevala-- even if the creation element of his concept is heavily influenced by Kalevala.

No idea is completely original, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tolkien's paradigm was both intricate and original enough to qualify as the foundation for our concept of what epic medieval-fantasy is today.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Backstory and lore are great and all, but accrediting Tolkien with the design and intricacies of mmorpgs is kind of like saying side-scrollers were a derivative of the 1970's edition of the plumber's handbook.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Pantheon has had more advertising/Community interaction than any other MMO since SWTOR. Even if it's low key stuff like banner ads and Facebook targeting it's smart, I never understood peoples decisions to rely only on streamers and word of mouth to advertise MMOS. Traditional online advertising still works that's why you see wow banner ads still after 12 years.

Anyone remember that EQ documentary they did with Smed and Brad and all of the other old guard EQ people? They should make another one now that they are all unemployed, maybe dish some dirt and pull on your nostalgia strings while using it to hype up Pantheon AND Smed's 8bit game.

Hell Blizzard just did the same thing with that bullshit "The Fall of Titan" that was basically an advertisement for overwatch. I think Brad would be perfect for a infomercial style documentary.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shit, their two prolific WoW designers were old EQ raiders.
Didn't Tigole and Furor just make quests and shit then eventually transition into raid content? I don't think they were game designers at that point in time.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Didn't Tigole and Furor just make quests and shit then eventually transition into raid content? I don't think they were game designers at that point in time.
Some would say that WoW's quests and quest system was it's standout and most popular feature. They got brought on board very early I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of say in the development of at least the questing system.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Some would say that WoW's quests and quest system was it's standout and most popular feature. They got brought on board very early I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of say in the development of at least the questing system.
I don't think the mentioned two designed the idea of 1-60 quest content. Yes the quests were good but I imagine the idea of "level by questing" wasn't their idea. But I also have no clue. I know everytime Tigole talks about his early days at Blizzard he just talks about making quests but rarely at Blizzard does anyone claim credit for anything.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I don't think the mentioned two designed the idea of 1-60 quest content. Yes the quests were good but I imagine the idea of "level by questing" wasn't their idea. But I also have no clue. I know every time Tigole talks about his early days at Blizzard he just talks about making quests but rarely at Blizzard does anyone claim credit for anything.
Agreed, Honestly that original team at Blizzard was something else. I doubt any single person could claim credit for any specific thing in that game. They had great developers and really took the pulse of the MMO industry at the time it was a piece of art.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I don't think the mentioned two designed the idea of 1-60 quest content. Yes the quests were good but I imagine the idea of "level by questing" wasn't their idea. But I also have no clue. I know everytime Tigole talks about his early days at Blizzard he just talks about making quests but rarely at Blizzard does anyone claim credit for anything.
IIRC big furor did the vanilla Hearthglen questline which was probably the best shit in the game. Introduced Tirion and then his son dying and all that stuff.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Backstory and lore are great and all, but accrediting Tolkien with the design and intricacies of mmorpgs is kind of like saying side-scrollers were a derivative of the 1970's edition of the plumber's handbook.
Right. I've never heard anyone claim Tolkien had anything to do with design intricacies of mmos. But that's a totally different claim than crediting him as the the primary driving force for what our general understanding of what medieval-fantasy worlds are today.