Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Named mobs don't mean shit in MMOs anymore. In WoW they usually just drop a random blue Dickfuck of the Shitstorm type of gear.

I remember soloing in zones and rallying guild members or friends because so and so was up. You're right, it was an actual adrenaline rush.

I wonder if any fatfuck ever died from a heartattack while playing EQ.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pantheon trannies will be called manginas in keeping with the traditional/old school feel of the game. Shitlord.

Dull

Molten Core Raider

Textures still seem a bit off to me but I find this acceptable. I am assuming this is the second outdoor zone they are trying to flesh out? Also no information was given if game CTD'ed after taking screenshots.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The more I think about it, the more I think all of these concepts (camping, infrequent/unique loot, slow leveling, disparate level ranges within zones) MUST go hand-in-hand with each other if they have any chance of accomplishing their objective of re-creating a legacy feel.
They tend to go together because they strengthen similar goals.

Let's say, your goal is that people should try to group up whenever they have the time (and don't feel too anti-social that day). You can't have a game where you can't solo anymore, but that does not mean you shouldn't have a massive carrot for grouping.

That gives you two sub-goals:

- Make desirable long-term (in play session time) groups
- Make easy to build a group

Making desirable means that your most desirable game items must come from groups; you can't have solo activities rewarding the best whatever.

Making desirable means you need a group to get to your target; you can't have people simply showing up at the target, grouping to take it down, and then leaving. That gives you the WoW named zergs or the Rift autogroup, which aren't groups. Which means that elite targets are deep in elite areas, those elite trash mobs WILL kill you, and either you have dozens of trash groups to fight, or fewer groups but with slower/longer combat.

Saying "will kill you" means: they will pursue you until at least your potential destination, and you can't shake them by dropping them on an unsuspecting player/group on your path. Oh, and overlevling the mobs should not be a get out of trouble card; lower level mobs should still be challenging/deadly, at least until you very significantly overlevel and overgear them.

Then you make easy to build a group; which means that it should be very common to find all the roles required for a group (that implies sharply defined classes are out; you need to have your players switch between tank, heal, buff, debuff, CC relatively easily and AS the group builds up).

Grouping should be wide, which means you should be able to group up across a large range of levels/gear levels. Which, thankfully, is also a goal you got from previously: the power curve should be relatively shallow, and people over level should find challenging to tacle those mobs, and people underlevel should be able to significantly contribute (and not miss 80% of the time 3 levels above them).

Which, in turn, implies that over-leveled people should also find something rewarding from the mobs their group target.

So, from that simple goal: "people should form long-term groups in outdoor areas", you get:

- Shallow power curve
- Slower combat
- Large elite outdoor areas (possibly 2/3rd of a zone at the high end) along solo-friendly XP/materials farming areas
- Long leashes
- Slower/random reward: mobs are not always up and have larger loot tables
- Ease of adapting to different roles (which does not simply include "toggle spec", but also means similar gear for all roles, and a lower bar of difficulty to perform a role you're not familiar with, at least in non-extreme environments)

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Those shots imply a lot about the game's progression, just in the opposite way they're presenting it.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well fuck; I caved recently and finally donated to get pre alpha access and these fucks are already walking tight rope of fraud and fiduciary misconduct by representing assets as their own.

Regardless of how it was posted by the dev on the pantheon forum it leads the individual to assume it is in fact their work. Best case it was just a retarded reality is the former.

More so than the money I think my last hope for a challenging mmo just went up in smoke or parking lot / pill bottle depending on how you want to look at it

I got got !!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
What are they passing off as their own? They have been pretty steadfast in their assertions about placeholder assets. Now i am curious.....i have pretty much stopped following the game.

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of the main posters there put up a screenshot of a castle.

Regardless of having previously indicating the use of placeholders the image being presented by a developer which indicates to the viewer that it is in fact their asset. IE why as a dev show the potential consumer or current investor an asset that is not your own. You typically wouldn't do that without a clarificarion (each time) because you typically aren't in the business of marketing someone else's material rather you would show it as a comparison to your own work.

Realistically it's borderline misrepresentation but anyway you look at it; it is disingenuous or just poor judgement by an idiot.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the main posters there put up a screenshot of a castle.

Regardless of having previously indicating the use of placeholders the image being presented by a developer which indicates to the viewer that it is in fact their asset. IE why as a dev show the potential consumer or current investor an asset that is not your own. You typically wouldn't do that without a clarificarion (each time) because you typically aren't in the business of marketing someone else's material rather you would show it as a comparison to your own work.

Realistically it's borderline misrepresentation but anyway you look at it; it is disingenuous or just poor judgement by an idiot.

Can you post the pic?