Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I do think there will be another MMO one day to take the crown. It'll probably be something small and unexpected like Minecraft was.

But I think for a lot of us that played the MMO genre from it's earlier days, we just miss the community aspect and difficulty of the game. I think as WoW made itself more streamlined, it lost that aspect. In shedding what was believed to be "unfun" it accidentally lost a lot of vital parts. It also shed most of its actual role playing DNA. I honestly think this was the biggest dagger in the back of MMOs. Even games like FFXIV are single player games where you occasionally need other people. MMOs are a genre that lost their way and forgot what they're supposed to be, which is a persistent world where you have to interact and deal with other people. It's the one genre where you can make friends, and even enemies and rivals.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
MMOs are a genre that lost their way and forgot what they're supposed to be, which is a persistent world where you have to interact and deal with other people. It's the one genre where you can make friends, and even enemies and rivals.

I would take it one step further and say that the MMORPG's that have lost their way are those that don't:

A) Hinge on players being able to make friends, enemies and rivals
B) Provide players with a way to punish/reward friends, enemies and rivals

Although, arguably, even EQ doesn't really live up to either of those.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
When I watch superhero movies or movies where good and evil go head-to-head, the hero is only ever as awesome as the villain is evil. If a movie has a terrible villain, the hero will never be that great, because he doesn't really have to overcome anything. On the other hand, if the villain encapsulates the worst parts of humanity ever brought together, the hero's going to be pretty badass, because there's a lot to overcome.

As far as game design goes, I look at MMORPG's in much the same light. You have to create a world where mechanisms exist to become a villain and destroy a villain, otherwise, there's never going to be the payoff of overcoming evil with good.

The bigger villain someone can become, the better the game imo. That's why I believe a game like EVE, with such a high barrier to entry, has such longevity, because these mechanism exist.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This is the same logic heroin addicts use to try to relive that first high. It's not going to happen and Brad should know this better than anyone...and anyone else on these forums to be honest.

WoW brought a ton of people to the MMORPG genre and ballooned the industry itself, so that both studios and players alike believe whole-heartedly in the model. Whereas before WoW, MMORPG's were an indie-genre before indie-genres.

Now that the market is huge, thanks to WoW, the next big thing will be much smaller. Games like Crowfall, Camelot Unchained and the like are the most likely to achieve this. I don't personally believe in the Kickstarter method of building a game and I'm certainly not holding my breath, but taking pieces of WoW and trying to improve on them is the path of least resistance.

I mean, philosophically, this was WoW's strategy to begin with. Take EQ and do it better.

The biggest failures are those that try to be WoW. There's already WoW. No one's going to become the new WoW by copying the old WoW.

That's just my two-cents. Maybe I can't see around the corner and there's some MMO Nostradamus out there that will disagree with me.

Did you actually read my post before you quoted it? You literally just said everything that I did, only ten times longer.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
When I watch superhero movies or movies where good and evil go head-to-head, the hero is only ever as awesome as the villain is evil. If a movie has a terrible villain, the hero will never be that great, because he doesn't really have to overcome anything. On the other hand, if the villain encapsulates the worst parts of humanity ever brought together, the hero's going to be pretty badass, because there's a lot to overcome.

As far as game design goes, I look at MMORPG's in much the same light. You have to create a world where mechanisms exist to become a villain and destroy a villain, otherwise, there's never going to be the payoff of overcoming evil with good.

The bigger villain someone can become, the better the game imo. That's why I believe a game like EVE, with such a high barrier to entry, has such longevity, because these mechanism exist.

Yeh, if you haven't watched Logan, I suggest you drop what you're doing and go out and see that movie. It is Empire Strikes Back/Rogue One good. Anyway.

Yeh, I understand what you're saying. Making the universe the boss and not the player. EQ did this extremely well, because it had non-instanced mobs and respawn timers. WoW started off like this, but then slowly gave the player more control over his environment, thus making it more casual friendly.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeh, if you haven't watched Logan, I suggest you drop what you're doing and go out and see that movie. It is Empire Strikes Back/Rogue One good. Anyway.

Yeh, I understand what you're saying. Making the universe the boss and not the player. EQ did this extremely well, because it had non-instanced mobs and respawn timers. WoW started off like this, but then slowly gave the player more control over his environment, thus making it more casual friendly.

The fact that you put Empire Strikes back and Rogue One in the same sentence immediately destroys all of your credibility.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This shit out yet? Do they still have that crazy Christian family working on the lore? Hoping we get a Father Abraham quest.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
This shit out yet? Do they still have that crazy Christian family working on the lore? Hoping we get a Father Abraham quest.
Not out yet, hopefully Alpha by end of year. No the religious nut jobs have left, and Chris Perkins aka Joppa has taken over pretty much running and making the game. There are a few videos on You Tube showing a few hours of game play and one of them even had some big time (I guess hes big time) TwitchTV streamer play with them

• 1Salty

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Christian family could of came up with better lore than Vhalen imo

• 1Salty

Sevens

Log Wizard
Dont forget, it was the Christian nut jobs who brought us the ever popular and most beloved fuzzy trolls

• 1Salty

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not out yet, hopefully Alpha by end of year. No the religious nut jobs have left, and Chris Perkins aka Joppa has taken over pretty much running and making the game. There are a few videos on You Tube showing a few hours of game play and one of them even had some big time (I guess hes big time) TwitchTV streamer play with them

Congrats on paying a twitch guy for sponsored content?

• 1Like

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I would take it one step further and say that the MMORPG's that have lost their way are those that don't:

A) Hinge on players being able to make friends, enemies and rivals
B) Provide players with a way to punish/reward friends, enemies and rivals

Although, arguably, even EQ doesn't really live up to either of those.
I would say while EQ wasn't designed around rivalry, contested content did provide the ability to both reward or punish friends and rivals. Nothing more is really needed in that respect.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Congrats on paying a twitch guy for sponsored content?
Well if you had watched the video you would see that He was not payed for his covering of the content...He was a fan and promoted it because he believe in it

• 1Salty
It's the one genre where you can make friends, and even enemies and rivals.

Was this a thing outside of PvP servers? I think Race War did it best due to the political options. When a game tells you who your friends and enemies are (i.e. Sullon Zek) this gets lost.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's going on with Pantheon? And is a_skeleton_03 still a biased cunt? Thought so. You should hire Draegan to mod.
Remember when we had two threads for Game of Thrones, one for spoilers and one for non-spoilers and then Draegen read the spoiler thread, got pissed he saw a spoiler and made the spoiler thread also be non-spoilers?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users