Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really do enjoy Joppa's Music in this game

That is actually pretty cool. I can get behind an MMO that gives you the true MMO Introduction. Here's a rusty sword and some rations. Its dark and storming and all you have is a note for the Guildmaster. Where that is? FIGURE IT OUT PLEB!

But really, I like the feature this video talks about where the game removes the convenience tools of instant maps/guidance. Bring back my immersion!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I do not know why they are over thinking it. Release a solid reputation mechanic (Because it's the same damn thing) and open it up to three subsets and be done with it. 1) Abilities per reputation. 2) Loot. 3) Access to certain areas.

Hardcoded factions need to be dead and gone forever. I will be glad when that era of the MMO is over. Dead and fucking buried.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Vanguard actually had two different systems for perception and diplomacy. Diplo was just a card game that people could train up and play against specific NPCs and if you win you gain various rewards, mostly just buffs but everyone in that region got the buffs so they were pretty cool and it also made cities more vibrant because people would return home if only for a moment to get the buffs.

Perception was a separate system that let players identify the magic used by other characters and mobs. If you got good at it you could identify what an npc was about to cast on you, and then you could counterspell it or similar. There was also a system where most classes had a small number of spells that could only be learned from being around mobs that cast the spell. So you go to an area and it says you notice a mob casting such and such spell, and you begin learning it. Hang around and eventually you have that spell.

Seems like Pantheon is just simplifying things, as they should, and having a simple thing you can build up and it unlocks quest options.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
That is actually pretty cool. I can get behind an MMO that gives you the true MMO Introduction. Here's a rusty sword and some rations. Its dark and storming and all you have is a note for the Guildmaster. Where that is? FIGURE IT OUT PLEB!

But really, I like the feature this video talks about where the game removes the convenience tools of instant maps/guidance. Bring back my immersion!

Yeah, but this video also includes "alignment"...which if you've ever played Fable, or any game from Peter Molyneux for that matter, you'll agree that this type of game design sounds better than it actually plays.

• 1Like

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Who designed the crafting in Vanguard? Also who desgined those classes?

Avair and Talisker were 2 of the Devs I at least worked with as a test raider on updating some of the class stuff. Sillius was the one we interacted with for crafting. No clue if they designed them but that's who worked on them during our time testing for them.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I can see both sides of the debate when it comes to factions. My own opinion is that if factions are there for something extra to do for the power gamer, great. If they are required, I start to hate them.

• 1Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Regarding factions, I think EQ was as good as any system I've seen. First, make it matter. Utnayan outlined it well up above but a good example was Chardok. It was a huge zone and a fantastic place to grind XP as well as some great mid tier raid mobs at the bottom. But it was even better if you grinded your faction up high enough with the Sarnak to run around freely in there for exploring and scouting.

Also just as important if not moreso, make faction work both ways instead of the current method in most games now where you can just grind all factions up over time. Bring back the days of one side comes up, the other side goes down. Want to work up that Kael giant faction? Go for it, but you'll become hated with the dragons, and vice versa. This forced people into choices and consequences, which is a good thing.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone even watch those streams? They are too long for me, and too boring. I skipped through the first one but just ignored the second one. I saw a promo video they made the other day and it was really well done, good editing, good voice over, good content. I hope they do more like that instead of raw 3 hours of boring noobing around in a new mmo.

• 1Salty

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I can see both sides of the debate when it comes to factions. My own opinion is that if factions are there for something extra to do for the power gamer, great. If they are required, I start to hate them.

I agree. Faction is a really cool and interesting aspect of a virtual world, until it's overused as a gating mechanism for content. Especially repetitive and tedious grinding for faction just to slow the player base down or as a buffer for unfinished content.

I don't mind working toward a goal or gaining/losing faction for making choices during gameplay, just don't cockblock me from progress with a ridiculously tedious and obviously artificial faction grind.

• 1Solidarity
Avair and Talisker were 2 of the Devs I at least worked with as a test raider on updating some of the class stuff. Sillius was the one we interacted with for crafting. No clue if they designed them but that's who worked on them during our time testing for them.
Cool I remember Talisker. Would be great if they could have classes like that in Pantheon.

• 1Salty

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hardcoded factions need to be dead and gone forever. I will be glad when that era of the MMO is over. Dead and fucking buried.
No idea why you would think that. Without factions, you basically remove any semblance of relationships between people's that normally exist in any society. Sure, I agree that an individual shouldn't be stuck with a particular faction permanently, but the ability to change your standing also provides the framework for a great deal of gameplay and progression.

I'd go as far as to say that it was the faction system in EQ that was responsible in large part for bringing the world to life, giving impact to your decisions, and making each character's path unique (which added a ton of replay value).

A good faction and alignment system is the backbone of a proper mmorpg. Without it, every player's experience becomes canned and streamlined, which is exactly what is plaguing mmos today.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No idea why you would think that. Without factions, you basically remove any semblance of relationships between people's that normally exist in any society. Sure, I agree that an individual shouldn't be stuck with a particular faction permanently, but the ability to change your standing also provides the framework for a great deal of gameplay and progression.

I'd go as far as to say that it was the faction system in EQ that was responsible in large part for bringing the world to life, giving impact to your decisions, and making each character's path unique (which added a ton of replay value).

A good faction and alignment system is the backbone of a proper mmorpg. Without it, every player's experience becomes canned and streamlined, which is exactly what is plaguing mmos today.

I am referring to WoW style factions.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
velious factions showed how to correctly do factions.

That shit was beyond perfection.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Not sure if today's gamer that demands to have multiple max level alts and a chance at everything is prepared for an EQ style faction grind on every char. Not that I care if they are. That one Legion rep I can't even care to remember now caused quite a few bergs. Imagine them maxing Kromzek and Kromrif then losing XP to Tormax's guards lol. Or wanting both gauntlets of Dragonslaying and a ring 10.

I never minded most of these "grinds" as I could sit there with pals and bullshit for hours. Some of us enjoyed the chatroom with a game on top of it aspect more I guess. With my pals I guess is one thing, doing it with the constantly AFK calladooty generation maybe not. Which is why PvP servers are good, kill off the "I'm allowed to AFK at MY camp all day" fuckers. Let's see how that passive aggression holds up while you're being chain golem wanded.

• 1Like

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I never minded most of these "grinds" as I could sit there with pals and bullshit for hours. Some of us enjoyed the chatroom with a game on top of it aspect more I guess.

Well that was actually just how EQ was played. I mean, sitting in one spot killing mobs for hours was quite literally the gameplay loop of EQ, so it worked fine when exchanging experience gain with faction gain, and many times we were gaining both faction and experience while having fun with our friends all at the same time.

EQ actually integrated the faction gain with its gameplay, at least during Velious. Sitting in Thurgadin/Ice Well Keep with guild faction groups was just as much fun as sitting in High Hold Keep or Old Seb. That WAS EQ.

I see that as a natural faction grind, whereas an artificial one puts up roadblocks such as rare loot turn-in items which only one person in the group can get at a time, or time-locked systems where you are only allowed to advance so much every day, things like that.

Last edited:
  • 2Like