Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Boobietastle

Molten Core Raider
This google doc has time stamps within both of the most recent streams regarding the questions they answer and info they talk about.

Pantheon Stream #4 Summary

They actually address the buff/item scaling issue that has occupied the last few pages of this thread. Joppa comes out directly and states that the scaling of items is tied to character level and skill (like how eq does it).
Here is a link to that time stamp and his explaination -

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
This google doc has time stamps within both of the most recent streams regarding the questions they answer and info they talk about.

Pantheon Stream #4 Summary

They actually address the buff/item scaling issue that has occupied the last few pages of this thread. Joppa comes out directly and states that the scaling of items is tied to character level and skill (like how eq does it).
Here is a link to that time stamp and his explaination -
Yep. This came as a big relief to me. I was starting to get a bit nervous that they were going to be restrictive after recent comments on a variety of topics.

Also important was that they clarified some of the comments that seemed to suggest they were favoring the convenience route. Death, for instance, will indeed result in being sent to bind naked (at least thats the current plan). Binding will be up to the players to take care of. Hopefully they will reconsider level loss.

Sometimes it almost sounds like Brad is favoring convenience, and Joppa is the one holding it back.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am excited to follow the development of this game. They will be able to do some pretty clever stuff with the game mechanics if they don't go crazy on the graphics. Which they aren't doing and that's totally fine.

Might be just the MMO we deserve.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yep. This came as a big relief to me. I was starting to get a bit nervous that they were going to be restrictive after recent comments on a variety of topics.

Also important was that they clarified some of the comments that seemed to suggest they were favoring the convenience route. Death, for instance, will indeed result in being sent to bind naked (at least thats the current plan). Binding will be up to the players to take care of.

I like the death penalty and I am too old for true XP loss IMO. I don't mind hell levels here and there but I don't want shitty DND implementation of XP penalties on certain classes/races. Like Troll SKs sucking the penalty dick and Halfling faggots having an exp bonus for... reasons.

There are some convenient modern features I want to see, like I imagine most of us do. AoE looting for example.

I really liked the disposition system. That is how you can make dynamic gameplay without having to spend tons of cash to make shit like WoW does. Also digging that feign death pulling is in mind from the ground up. Really excited to see more of the classes.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Exactly. It also hinders the ability to provide new items and experiences. The developers(which are newer to developing games), would now have to work around all the bad game design they previously did to cater to a small subset of the population. People always talk about how they love that EQ gear can be used forever. Game developers hate that shit. When they make new expansions, they either have to go even further overboard to get players to be wowed by new gear, or no one wants it. On top of that, they have to design mobs and encounters on how twinked that player is. All that hard work because you couldn't make balanced gear or experiences in the first place. An entire expansion created and then you have the results a_skeleton_02 shows in that Simpsons video. Bunch of people complaining because no new good gear, or shit wasn't 'hard' enough(wink, wink). On top of that, new players or people that didn't sperg all the time trying to abuse the system...have a much harder game to play. Which, they usually quit.

The problem is that when you go down this road, its a slippery slope and you end up "normalizing" the shit out of everything like WoW did. where everything is essentially no drop, boe, all level requirements and everything is blah. No economy, no secondary markets, money is worthless unless added money sinks like the mount skills, etc.. No thanks, I dont like systems like that. I like games where I can sell shit I got or used, like EQ or PoE for example.

Twinks were always secondary content, because people went through the game in the first place to get all that shit or afford to purchase it, unless of course RMT, but that's a different subject. Past the initial rush of players through the content, its mostly dead anyway. Especially these days how people consume content. So I see the need to remove twinks pointless. They ruin nothing other than maybe their experience at the cost of feeling like a god vs gnolls for a few hours. Interdependence and grouping will be always fucked anyways past the initial rushes of players. There are other ways to get people to group up other than nerfing twinking, think like Phinny code where exp solo is terrible, but when grouped its amazing.

RMT will always be a thing when money has an actual value. But think of the costs to the gamelay if you remove money being worth anything

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that when you go down this road, its a slippery slope and you end up "normalizing" the shit out of everything like WoW did. where everything is essentially no drop, boe, all level requirements and everything is blah. No economy, no secondary markets, money is worthless unless added money sinks like the mount skills, etc.. No thanks, I dont like systems like that. I like games where I can sell shit I got or used, like EQ or PoE for example.

Twinks were always secondary content, because people went through the game in the first place to get all that shit or afford to purchase it, unless of course RMT, but that's a different subject. Past the initial rush of players through the content, its mostly dead anyway. Especially these days how people consume content. So I see the need to remove twinks pointless. They ruin nothing other than maybe their experience at the cost of feeling like a god vs gnolls for a few hours. Interdependence and grouping will be always fucked anyways past the initial rushes of players. There are other ways to get people to group up other than nerfing twinking, think like Phinny code where exp solo is terrible, but when grouped its amazing.

RMT will always be a thing when money has an actual value. But think of the costs to the gamelay if you remove money being worth anything

I am all for not sterilizing loot like that. Really, original EQ (up to Velious) did not have THAT much of an item problem. Loot tables are something else but items themselves? No.

Bring on items with poorly thought out effects. If they truly end up game breaking? Nerf them. If items are a little too advantageous? Make them not drop anymore and design ways for them not to be so useful later. Having pre-nerf items in existence creates some cool stories and adds to the mystery of the items. Like manastones or the SK/Necro instant invis headpiece I forget the name of. Crown of Shadows?

That one random 1h staff from the weird panda mine dungeon in Kunark that was 3 dmg 10 delay and could be hasted? That shit was hilarious for the few months it was around.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Mkopec,

Not quoting all that but you are right. It is a slippery slope and a balancing act. Let's see where it goes because they have to balance it for the audience they are envisioning. Not just for the first 3 months unless they really think there is some huge group no one has ever seen. I doubt they believe that.

I did love circlet of shadows, FBSS, GBS, stein of mogguk, SSOY, and especially J-boots.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That one random 1h staff from the weird panda mine dungeon in Kunark that was 3 dmg 10 delay and could be hasted? That shit was hilarious for the few months it was around.
Moss covered twig! That shit was hilariously OP.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'd love to know VR's plan for RMT. Their intended mechanics are going to make this game a feast for gold spammers/farmers and RMTers.

I'm sure with all the other stuff that's going on it'd be easy to leave this issue until it became a problem-- but that would be a big mistake. There are a ton of tools that should be baked into the game design from the ground up.

VR needs a solid strategy regarding how they intend to police RMT, and they need it sooner rather than later.

• 1Like
Circlet of Shadows

I still have one of these on my SK on Karana. Fun item.

Fungi Tunic on my twink Monk

Camped that no drop 1handed sword in Velks for my SK twink as well. Stuff like that was great. As long as you could get there and loot it, you could use it at any level.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd love to know VR's plan for RMT. Their intended mechanics are going to make this game a feast for gold spammers/farmers and RMTers.

I'm sure with all the other stuff that's going on it'd be easy to leave this issue until it became a problem-- but that would be a big mistake. There are a ton of tools that should be baked into the game design from the ground up.

VR needs a solid strategy regarding how they intend to police RMT, and they need it sooner rather than later.

I honestly don't know how you get around that other than controlling the RMT bullshit in game. Even then... The other way is to maintain a police state on that crap.