Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
Still don't completely understand the whole idea of races "arriving" on Terminus from other planets? That aspect seems a little too sci-fi ish to me.

I think this idea is smart because it explains new expansions, on the off chance that those happen, within existing lore. Explanations for new expansions kept getting weirder in EQ.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm not a fan of the non-Standard races in Pantheon - given that the target market is EQ and VG gamers. Already there are people who won't ever play Pantheon until their favorite EQ race (DE/Troll) gets added. And frankly, I can't blame em - I wish the Raki from VG appeared suddenly in Terminus. Loved my old Raki monk.

I think Brad & Co. learned their lesson from VG. Terminus is much smaller so I think it will have a successful launch indeed the bigger problem is not the launch but whether they'll have sufficient content for the hardcore boys who are going to level to Max in a month. Sigil lost a bunch of hardcore VG players when they hit Max level in VG and there was nothing to do but constantly run Rhaz Inkur. So if Pantheon doesn't ship with at least one raid zone I suspect the same thing will happen again. .

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
if they have a fury race im gonna be pissed, unless its a fuzzy troll. Than that would be aight, just to know that sexual deviants are playing a race created by the jesus freaks.

Shitton of the EQ2 population are furies. I find them to be very annoying people.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
if they have a fury race im gonna be pissed, unless its a fuzzy troll. Than that would be aight, just to know that sexual deviants are playing a race created by the jesus freaks.

Shitton of the EQ2 population are furies. I find them to be very annoying people.

They roleplaying?

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think Brad & Co. learned their lesson from VG. Terminus is much smaller so I think it will have a successful launch indeed the bigger problem is not the launch but whether they'll have sufficient content for the hardcore boys who are going to level to Max in a month. Sigil lost a bunch of hardcore VG players when they hit Max level in VG and there was nothing to do but constantly run Rhaz Inkur. So if Pantheon doesn't ship with at least one raid zone I suspect the same thing will happen again. .

I may be wrong but I felt the reason we never saw much end game content pushed out after the launch was because of the absolutely horrendous state of the company at that time. It wasn't long before the entire Sigil leadership team had basically checked out altogether.

The VR team may very well still underestimate the amount of end game content they need at launch with Pantheon. However, my gut says the team/company is in a much more stable place right now than Sigil was to this point. Perhaps that's what has me more optimistic than others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont think anyone is in doubt that itll launch anymore. Asherons Call 2 launched and was as big a piece of shit as Vanguard was. Maybe bigger. The questions that remain can only be answered during launch and while playing the game. The game is doing pretty well with word of mouth and I hope that it continues to spread.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I think this idea is smart because it explains new expansions, on the off chance that those happen, within existing lore. Explanations for new expansions kept getting weirder in EQ.

You mean that island just offshore that was shrouded in mist for decades suddenly appearing doesn't seem realistic? Trust me.. Coming up with lore for why this new playspace suddenly exists was painful.. Ultimately the majority of players just don't care why.. They just want new stuff to do.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Talking of leveling paths... my necro alt used OT for fear kiting, which in itself isn't very exciting. What pisses me off is the fact I got my first and only "flag" on my account from a GM for exploiting. I used to pull mobs right near the ramp to Skyfire zone line. If you landed fear just to the right of that ramp, the mob would just path fleeing into the wall. Got a few levels doing this until one day a random GM dropped by and said it was exploiting and put a warning on my account. Still think that's some bs.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There were spots in the game world where mobs simply could not reach you. I know of a few in Mistmoore. I can understand them flagging your account for that. That is also the reason they put in code to have mobs summon you and warp to you.

But their shitty pathing mechanics and zone design were so rampant throughout the game, that if you used any skills like snare, root, or fear you were probably "exploiting" to some degree. Which seems like them punishing you, for their lazy design.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Another pantheon wishlist item: single source haste items

Haste items in WoW don't get me started

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

I always felt like the dev team for early EQ just didnt want anyone soloing. It always seemed like they just tolerated it.

• 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another pantheon wishlist item: single source haste items

Haste items in WoW don't get me started
One item haste + one spell source haste + one special class ability (bards over-haste) was near design perfection.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I always felt like the dev team for early EQ just didnt want anyone soloing. It always seemed like they just tolerated it.
They definitely didn't want soloing. Remember all the attempts at kite nerfing and the like? As a monk, I could solo much better than other melee classes, but it was still slow as shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
They definitely didn't want soloing. Remember all the attempts at kite nerfing and the like? As a monk, I could solo much better than other melee classes, but it was still slow as shit.

Using the mend bug to heal up in between fights was my shit. If I wasn't near a zone line I could log in/out and still get it to cooldown much more quickly.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I spent this week watching all of Cohh's gameplay vids... They've sold me. It feels very much like old school EQ. Even the sound effects bring back EQ memories. It seems pretty obvious they took the old EQ foundation and just added a few elements from Vanguard and a few "new" ideas and came up with pretty much the exact game I was looking for. Only real criticism I have so far is some of the lore and playable races. Still don't completely understand the whole idea of races "arriving" on Terminus from other planets? That aspect seems a little too sci-fi ish to me. How did they "arrive"? I wish they would have divided the elves in sub races. No dark elves sucks. :( Not a big fan of the Dark Myr "mermaid" race either. Those are pretty minor issues though.

I was very doubtful early on that this game would get made. Seems pretty clear now, it's well on the way to being made. I'm going to pledge to at least the beta test level, perhaps even the alpha. Curious what people here think the odds are at this point, that the game launches and launches successfully? I'm by no means an expert, but I have followed a few MMO's during development... I would say 95% chance the game launches, with a 70% chance of a successful launch. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic... I very badly want the option to play this type of game again. I'm impressed as hell with what they have done so far!
Consider that they could leave off classes and races to be released in later expansions and to make the initial game more manageable. I'm sure they'd love to have multiple elves. For that matter, I really think humans should be broken up into two factions/deities based on classes. Having all the classes packed into one race and one city seems cheesy to me as described.

As to the chance of success, I'd agree with those number. Honestly, as long as they don't launch early and can press on even if funding subsided, that numbers could be higher. They've said over the years, that come hell or high water, they will launch the game. Even if it's means just donating their time and pushing back the dates.

The only thing threatening their success at this point is launching early or compromising on the core design (EQ).

Daidraco

I like the idea of playing a Naga, or a Centaur maybe. But Im not going to skip out on a game just because I cant play either of those. Although this game may be the spiritual successor to EQ Classic, its not the same game or lore. They can simply say... "A bustling city was created by a small group of races that put their differences aside. As time goes, they push back the wilds and reconnect with old friends and foes alike." That is enough justification for why we start with limited races and how we will get new races in future patches or expansions. I think it would be fantastic if they actually added quest lines in to where you, the player, are the one that finds and connects a new race to your people. With some sort of option to start a new character or replace your old character with that race.

Jarek

Molten Core Raider
I can always find a race to play. Races don't bother me too much, unless it's those anime furry lolicon abominations. I don't usually play games with cat-eared infants running around, sorry.

I have been missing the fast paced, dynamic crowd control class though. I'm glad to see Pantheon embracing CC again instead of just "lol DPS." I'm also glad they're planning for "not-quite-as-good-but-usable" CC options in classes like Rogue. Sort of how a Druid isn't a Cleric, but can still be a perfectly fine healer in most group situations. Shows they have good foresight in class balance and grouping options.

• 1Solidarity

yerm

A dedicated furry race is healthy for the life of a game. Back in say kunark era, that wood elf asking to group was a gamble, the barbarian was uncertain... then I played on a fresh start server post-luclin and 90% of "those" types made vah shit.

Lazy roleplayer fucks will play the game. Best to have them out in the open, not hiding in sheeps clothing.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

kudos

<Banned>
A dedicated furry race is healthy for the life of a game. Back in say kunark era, that wood elf asking to group was a gamble, the barbarian was uncertain... then I played on a fresh start server post-luclin and 90% of "those" types made vah shit.

Lazy roleplayer fucks will play the game. Best to have them out in the open, not hiding in sheeps clothing.

I agree. I'd rather know what I'm getting into before I group with people. If it's a group of furries, I will just leave.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Depends what kind of xp/pixel flow

There's worse than furries on there... the completely insane find their way into these worlds. I'll take a furry over "I'm going g to find my ex wife you all just wait and see" coming up in group chat. That pause after lol.

I'm sure every server had the town loonie basket.

Last edited: