Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It will be worth the wait
I have that gut feeling it would be faster to do it yourself at this point. As often as they have rebooted they don't seem to have a design document detailing how things are planned. This is a red flag that they have no leadership and are always second-guessing themselves. Or that there is tons of infighting.

They need someone with a "Vision(tm)".

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
For a login server load test? Yikes is right. :emoji_thinking:
6 years later, and the login server can't handle a few thousand logins, paced over many hours per day?
Train wreck incoming.

Meh as long as they can handle a couple hundred over several days they’ll be fine for live.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I have that gut feeling it would be faster to do it yourself at this point. As often as they have rebooted they don't seem to have a design document detailing how things are planned. This is a red flag that they have no leadership and are always second-guessing themselves. Or that there is tons of infighting.

Yeah, it would probably be faster. Some guy is making an online RPG on his own on Steam. It looks more polished than Pantheon - he's only been at it for 6 years which is less than Visionary Realms.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Getting some weird stuff with the official website. Front page looks hacked and firefox is telling me the site is compromised. Don't recall seeing that before. Going to run some virus scans on my PC, but anyone else having trouble with the main site?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Getting some weird stuff with the official website. Front page looks hacked and firefox is telling me the site is compromised. Don't recall seeing that before. Going to run some virus scans on my PC, but anyone else having trouble with the main site?

Works fine for me.

• 1Like

Maximis Velocity

Professional Lurker
<Silver Donator>

It is you. Looks fine to me.

• 1Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
megahurtz.jpg
Works fine for me.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

nah, Joppa pal got it covered

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
I really dont understand how you can say that about the combat and no one wanting to replay it now days, I mean every single TLP server EQ has put out has been flooded.

EQ TLP's are profitable if you put even a little effort into them.

The last TLP I played paid for 5 years of a sub + 6 level 110/115 test copies + 40 krono of fun shit for test copying.

And its still a chore I don't think I can bear to do again.

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Yah, thank god Brad's dead. He had several visions a day, with all the drugs that he was taking.

Edit : Too soon?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
He had several visions a day, with all the drugs that he was taking.
You can talk shit about him, and some of it deservedly, but you have to realize: You can't put more than 3 people in a room and expect things to materialize into a coherent product. There has to be some sort of leadership, with a tangible goal that everyone on the team can understand. Also, the further you are in development, the more expensive is it to change goals.

In software development they currently have these "agile development" and "SCRUM" paradigms, where they make short iterations and frequently change things. This doesn't really work for game design, because that sits a level above the implementation. For example, if you suddenly decide to change FPS style action combat targeting (like Ashes of Creation or Elder Scrolls Online) with Tab targeting, then suddenly you have to throw out one system with another, and rework basically all of combat, including movement, spell and melee systems with their hit and geometry checks.

If someone decides to start again, or "reboot", then they usually have decided that the old systems can't be changed or salvaged enough to fit the new goals. This isn't true for Pantheon though, as I don't see anything that has changed in the underlying game design.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Right. Until they decide where they wanna go, talking about where they are going is kind'a pointless. I'm just stating that Brad had several directions that they were going in, and most of them were talked about as if they were done, while still in infantile steps. It happened with Vanguard, and it happened on Pantheon.