Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You dont get shit for pledging more than $50 other than ingame skins. You only get alpha access at $1k+. Why is this guy surprised by that lol.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Wait, that sounds that they will have to shut down if crowdfunding stops. So there isn't an "angel investor" like they claimed? And the game will not launch with all features/content and "graphic fidelity" unless they secure more suckers "funding"?

I don't even.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Convo Convo Since Halloween is coming up here very shortly and you get paid in bite sized Kit-Kats... Are you getting 3 bags a day now or whats the deal? Assuming you were ever payed at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
What do you wanna bet that I can make this game come out quicker than they can?

Scroll down to the bottom, to the $25 or more.

EDIT : Of course, betting against never is always a good option, but let's just say in about a year, year and half.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Wait, that sounds that they will have to shut down if crowdfunding stops. So there isn't an "angel investor" like they claimed? And the game will not launch with all features/content and "graphic fidelity" unless they secure more suckers "funding"?

I don't even.

The angel investor thing was either bullshit or just some whale type person, there's no way that a proper angel investor (looking for a return) with a decent amount of capital would get involved in this. It's the same with the whole publisher thing, they say they are in talks with publishers cause it looks good on paper and for hype. The reality is nobody will want to touch an MMO made by amateur hour devs and especially not one that's taken this long to produce nothing at all. As I said before Brad was the only person at VR that had a hope in hell of selling this to anyone and even then it was a slim chance at best.

Besides everything that's happened there's still people out there who think Amazon or Microsoft etc will come up with the millions necessary to finish this.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Amazon or Microsoft
Yeah, Amazon got burned hard with Grand Tour being a flop, Crucible being pulled from Steam and cancelled, and New World being delayed again and again. And Microsoft will not fund another amateur hour MMO after they got burned hard with Vanguard.

Scroll down to the bottom, to the $25 or more.

I bet Pantheon will have the following monsters shortly: Plant Monster, Rock Monster, Mushroom Monster. That is all, they're conscious about funds after all!

• 1Solidarity

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, but Amazon has a hit on it's hands with New World, surmising that the team can keep it together. Actually listening to feedback they had from that beta about a month ago, and all that.

From what I hear, it was actually pretty fun. Looked boring as shit, but then again, that can be said of any MMO being played on twitch.

• 2Seriously?

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know whats going to make New World a hit. That anyone can follow their favorite streamer around, help kill things, get exp/loot. You are going to have these huge Zerg groups running around, which they had in the alpha. Nobody can tell anyone that this camp is ours and players dont have personal instances.

• 1Like

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
Highlight point from that recent Pantheon stream is that lead designer Convo has created a giant beehive in Avendyr's Pass to explore. Championship!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Over $500 thrown at VR and he didn't even get a fucking t-shirt, just Pantheon forum access.

View attachment 313468

tenor.gif
There used to be some great tiers

GGbfVd1.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't watch many of these Pantheon streams but the Environment Art one seemed interesting so I watched most.

My takeaway:

Positives:

Houdini: I have seen amazing stuff from Houdini and I would love to dabble in it some day. So the fact they are embracing it is very encouraging. I think once their pipeline is fleshed out more it should allow some good stuff to happen at a rapid pace. Implementing new & big software like this comes with a learning curve for sure to get it in integrated into the pipeline.

Iteration: Looks like they aren't afraid to make big changes. Changing layout of a zone is a lot of work, being able to reduce the workload and make iterations faster is a positive for the future development of the game.

Negatives:

Art Direction: I'm not impressed at all, especially knowing what modern games with a fraction of development personnel/cost are capable of. If these guys are working on the game full time then I am really baffled why the game looks so bad.

Knowledge of Modern Techniques:
Some of the stuff highlighted in this Environ Art vid are things that are fairly standard and not very impressive anymore. I'm not too familiar with Unity at all, but maybe it's just Engine limitations. Funny that most of the Houdini stuff in the beginning was being demonstrated in UE4. Also the "Tiling" & Procedural Tree/Rock placement, is all stuff UE4 does right out of the box.

Also, their Material demo on the rocks was not good. First off, the custom material they created looked much worse than the "Asset Pack". The tiling is very noticeable, and the blending of rock/moss/snow seemed terrible. Changing the Snow/Moss based on the up-vector is something you can implement in less than 10-15 minutes in UE4. I have no idea if Unity is harder to do this.

Grass-Is-Always-Greener Syndrome: Instead of nailing down content and getting stuff working, looks like they are iterating a bit too much and never actually finishing anything. As soon as their is a new shiny toy to play with, they go back and find ways to redo everything.

Conclusion:
Game still looks very very dated, even while using current technology, props for trying to create a huge world though, but it is still taking way too long, and for the number of people involved it seems like they are still at square 1.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Yah, but Amazon has a hit on it's hands with New World, surmising that the team can keep it together. Actually listening to feedback they had from that beta about a month ago, and all that.

From what I hear, it was actually pretty fun. Looked boring as shit, but then again, that can be said of any MMO being played on twitch.
New World looks awesome, and Lumberyard isn't that terrible of an engine, really. Some really good concepts, it's optimized pretty damn well, and it's a royalty free, high-fidelity engine. You're not locked into Unreal's networking layer, you don't have to pay a shit ton of fees like you do with Unity to use the source code in full, and the AWS Game Tech folks are amazingly responsive.

I think Pantheon needs to just swap to using LY.
They aren't too far from making the switch if what they said is true about rewriting the game a few times, the tech is cheaper for them, and when they actually launch a game they'll have full Bezos Bux behind advertising and marketing to the niche of old MMO players.

• 1Worf

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know whats going to make New World a hit. That anyone can follow their favorite streamer around, help kill things, get exp/loot. You are going to have these huge Zerg groups running around, which they had in the alpha. Nobody can tell anyone that this camp is ours and players dont have personal instances.
Im honestly more interested in their LOTR MMO than New World. But at least they have endless funds to actually deliver a game, whether it ends up good or not. I will for sure give New World a try though with nothing else coming out.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, Amazon got burned hard with Grand Tour being a flop, Crucible being pulled from Steam and cancelled, and New World being delayed again and again. And Microsoft will not fund another amateur hour MMO after they got burned hard with Vanguard.

I bet Pantheon will have the following monsters shortly: Plant Monster, Rock Monster, Mushroom Monster. That is all, they're conscious about funds after all!

People are quick to forget Brad burned up 40 million at Microsoft before they decided to cut him off.

The actual Vanguard that was released was created in a 12-15 month dev cycle after Brad had parted ways with Microsoft. In short, they did absolutely nothing at Microsoft for years.

Microsoft hasn't been interested in an MMO since, and its a bridge burned.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Brad burnt his own bridge down. MS gave two shits about him and likely didnt give a shit to begin with. You give MS a strategy to get Star Citizen levels of Return on Investment and they'll bite down hard. Reminder that Star Citizen had 17.5 million from investors, with crowd funding over 340 million... and the games not even released.

• 2Like